Borders remain closed

Here is the latest
Forget about a total ban. They will just remove Brazil from the "programa piloto" so Brazilians may not enter. Media keep talking about Uruguay and how it banned everyone (even their own citizens -- totally unconstitutional btw) from entering for 3 weeks and that Argentina is "considering" to do the same. Total BS. Those kind of bans without a plan and proper tracing and isolation are completely useless. Uruguayos are dumb. Also UY is at their pico -- Argentina passed that in October.

If I were to SPECULATE. Brazilians are removed from the travel list to AR. Immediate introduction of PCR for all returning AR residents from "high risk" countries like Brazil (they had posponed the PCR till 8 Jan but I think they will push it forward). Additionally, those returning from Brazil might be asked to do a short 5 day caurentena on top of presenting a PCR (the same way they have "quarantined" all those on that BA flight from London today). Just me playing Baba Vanga.

For political reasons they will not ban flight from Brazil. Bolsonaro will go ape sh!t. Also imagine all those Argies stuck in Brazil.

Forget about a total ban. They will just remove Brazil from the "programa piloto" so Brazilians may not enter. Media keep talking about Uruguay and how it banned everyone (even their own citizens -- totally unconstitutional btw) from entering for 3 weeks and that Argentina is "considering" to do the same. Total BS. Those kind of bans without a plan and proper tracing and isolation are completely useless. Uruguayos are dumb. Also UY is at their pico -- Argentina passed that in October.

If I were to SPECULATE. Brazilians are removed from the travel list to AR. Immediate introduction of PCR for all returning AR residents from "high risk" countries like Brazil (they had posponed the PCR till 8 Jan but I think they will push it forward). Additionally, those returning from Brazil might be asked to do a short 5 day caurentena on top of presenting a PCR (the same way they have "quarantined" all those on that BA flight from London today). Just me playing Baba Vanga.

For political reasons they will not ban flight from Brazil. Bolsonaro will go ape sh!t. Also imagine all those Argies stuck in Brazil.
I would like to give Argentina more credit, but it already closed its borders earlier in the year leaving thousands of citizens (and residents) stranded abroad including in Brazil. Not just at airports, but sleeping on bridges waiting fruitlessly to cross.

Would agree that it would be more likely that Brazilian tourists take the first hit, followed by European non-residents (eg family of residents visiting) with some song and dance around the returning “inconscientes” from Brazil to appeal to bloodlust of their popularist grass roots.

This country can go any which direction and back again within the hour... let’s see.

I would like to give Argentina more credit, but it already closed its borders earlier in the year leaving thousands of citizens (and residents) stranded abroad including in Brazil. Not just at airports, but sleeping on bridges waiting fruitlessly to cross.
Exactly, and how did that turn out last time?

“Last time” is European/ foreign logic.
Argentina is all about repeating the same thing while hoping for a different outcome. Some call it insanity...

Why don't you just go back home for now? You've been agonizing for almost 10 months, wouldn't you be better to wait till it's over in California? What is the point of being in Peru where you have nobody and nothing to stay for - apart from great food...

Why don't you just go back home for now? You've been agonizing for almost 10 months, wouldn't you be better to wait till it's over in California? What is the point of being in Peru where you have nobody and nothing to stay for - apart from great food...

I made lots of great friends here actually! It's really nice here!

I made lots of great friends here actually! It's really nice here!
that's great, then just relax and enjoy it. i understand that you miss your son, but with the 'no rhyme or reason' way argentine officials operate, it's better to wait till the restrictions are removed before you try another entry.

For the time being a general closure of the borders is being denied. However likely Europe and Brazil will be affected by closures of some sorts (e.g. reversal of decision to allow family visits of Argentine residents and / or entry of tourists from Brazil)

For me I hope Argentina does not pull yet another political stunt when it comes to Brazil and have a degree of perspective in determining any measures affecting that border.
The reality is that in the state of Rio de Janeiro (one of the "worst" in the country of almost a quarter of a billion people, with a population of 13m) is recording around 6 deaths and 755 new cases each day.
Meanwhile CABA, a city of under 3m, is recording about 20 deaths and 500 new cases a day.

Argentina is hardly a role model for COVID containment or propagation - given the lax protocols in regards to allowing Argentines on planes I would go as far to suggest a good few number of recent Brazilian cases have Argentine origins - more than the number of recent Argentine cases with Brazilian origins who at least need to be tested to get on a plane and enter the country.

Europe with the new strain is another story, however the WHO and EU now seem to be more calm about it and insisting not to panic about it. The EU is recommending countries lift the bans against the UK.

Could someone give me some advice about a situation happening around me regarding travel, etc?

My stepkids (14 and 17) are set to travel to visit their father who lives in Chile on the 30th. They are traveling alone and will be there for over a month until Feb. 2. Their father has paid for the tickets and I understand they will need the COVID test within 72 hours of leaving. I am convinced this is the wrong time for two teenagers to be heading out of country for what is essentially a vacation. My wife largely agrees but is being somewhat pressured by the father who has not seen his kids since last January. It's a whole other story why he cannot just come to Argentina to see them.

Are the kids likely to face problems at the airport when leaving Argentina?
Is there any scenario where the situation worsens during January and the borders close and the kids cannot get back into Argentina?

Back