Bored In Ba, Making New Friends

papini

Registered
Hi, I am Canadian/Italian and have been living here for 6 months now. My partner is Argentine and has a job here. Had a few great months at the beginning of the year enjoying the city during the summer but now have gotten into a bit of a rut. So far I have made one friend, also a foreigner but I am not involved in many activities. I work from home - I have a business in Italy and so that keeps me busy but the rest of the time I would like to find some friends to do some activities with (running, sport, coffee, dinner, movies, wine tastings etc). I have attended Internations events but found them a bit crowded and hard to actually meet people I could get along with. I tried a gym but found the people very stand-off ish and also quite rude.
Maybe there are some other bored expats out there that would like to meet and see if we get along?
Just some things about me, I speak English, French, Italian and Spanish, I like to read, I know a lot about wine (I am a winemaker), I am into sports (running, biking, walking, badminton, etc). Ok this is starting to seem like a personals add and I'm looking desperate for friends! lol. You can make fun of me, but hey its worth a try! Also living in Palermo.
Cheers,
Paula

I guess that I'm wondering if that is the country for me. Someone said that finding a date is impossible there. I just wonder about the country in general. It doesn't sound like a friendly place.

Hi Paula,

I am Italian and I also work from home. What area do you live in? Though I am not an active person, I am also lacking friends here. The few ones I had all moved abroad :-(

I guess that I'm wondering if that is the country for me. Someone said that finding a date is impossible there. I just wonder about the country in general. It doesn't sound like a friendly place.

You need to visit Buenos Aires or another part of the country before you move. If you base a decision on what someone said or wrote about Argentina, you will miss what it has to offer.

I visited five times over three years before I made a permanent move to Buenos Aires. The beautiful city and the friendly people are why I live here.

Real friendship takes time and effort. It's easy to find someone to hang out with, but finding someone who shares your values and appreciates you as a friend is another thing.

Find potential friends at a place or activity that interests you. I meet nice people at the free concerts I attend who share my love of classical music. I meet people at the milongas who share my love of tango.

If you practice yoga, go to a studio where you'll meet others. If you like to run, go to Rosedal in Palermo where the park is full of runners.

I have many acquaintances in the activities I enjoy. It takes time to know whether a person is a true friend. I have a handful of friends, no more, because I need to be there for them. If not, I'm not really a friend.

Of course it can take time to make friends but I find that people tend to make friends in school and keep many of them for life. Also people spend a lot or most of their time with their families, both blood relatives and inlaws.

Comments...! and questions?

Normally young women post wanting to meet girl/friends..! Most responses come from other females!
Males abstain to respond fearing rejection for motives?

Fewer males post asking for friendships ... women will rarely respond..!
Males don't respond to male adds fearing being seen as gay??

Comments...! and questions?

Normally young women post wanting to meet girl/friends..! Most responses come from other females!
Males abstain to respond fearing rejection for motives?

Fewer males post asking for friendships ... women will rarely respond..!
Males don't respond to male adds fearing being seen as gay??

Rich One, your posts are always very good and very relevant. Including this one!

Please never leave this forum.

---

American girls - in general when in BA try to avoid *friendships* with other expat males and are usually in search for their eventual Argentine lover! Once they have this lover, friendship with other "hetero" expat males is a strict No-No lest their "Facu" feels insecure or to prove how faithful they are to their "Facu"!

On the other hand, these American girls welcome and enjoy friendship with gay expat men here, for obvious reasons!

Back