Boring expats

Wryter47 said:
It's kind of funny in a way to read this post and wonder how the person has come to have so much concern for people whose lives are basically none of his concern. Is he suggesting ways people "should" live? I wonder.

There is a big difference between being bored and being a boring expat. The OP may find other expats boring, but it isn't their job to keep him from being bored, is it?

Wryter47 said:
It's kind of funny in a way to read this post and wonder how the person has come to have so much concern for people whose lives are basically none of his concern. Is he suggesting ways people "should" live? I wonder.

I lived in Manhattan for more than 20 years before retiring here in 2005, and after living for several years in an Upper West Side neighborhood I discovered a New York City "truth": Most New Yorkers seldom travel more than a few blocks from where they live. Outside the occasional visit to Lincoln Center or midtown to shop, most people in my building and my neighborhood spent their free time right there. As in BsAs, virtually everything I could possibly want to do or buy was available within six blocks of my front door.

I share the idea that I'm not quite sure what this poster is trying to say.

Thanks.

You would probally be in your 50's-60's so probally different from someone in his mid 20's/early 30's

CoachGayle said:
How about posting some more low-cost activities? I love the Tigre outing idea!

Lujan, Taimaikan, Parque de la costa, La Plata, strolling around the costanera and eating a Churi, going to San Telmo on a sunday. Going to bosques de Palermo, Palermo Zoo, going to a soccer game especially outside of Capital or to games like Argentinos, Huracan, San Lorenzo, Velez

Alilou said:
Try the couch surfers BA group forum... they have all sorts of groups and parties and events and its always an international mix.... That being said, for me...one of the biggest benefits of living in a huge city is that I can stay so close to home... I can order all types of delivery and now by MSN... I don't need to even pick up the phone : )!! and I have everything I need with a 5 block radius. (and actually at our new apartment in flores we literally have everything in one block... its almost ridiculous).... You mention most boring ex pats having long term boyfriends or girlfriends... and thats probably true because very few people stay in a foreign country forever if they don't have some to tie them down (I love my life here but I would have been off to Brazil or India or Korea or Australia or wherever long ago if it weren't for my Argentine fiance). And basically everyone in a long term relationship becomes "boring"... its hard to make yourself go anywhere when you have the person you most want to be with at home. So enjoy your exciting single life before you too turn into a boring ex pat!!!!

I had a steady relationship for about 60 to 70% of my time in BA, eventhough I was not living together, but basically would she stay over around 2 days a week and would I go out with her 1 to 2 times a week. But other then that I still find time to go out with friends, play football, go to soccer games and spend time with friends. I would think if you limit yourself pretty much to working(at home) time with GF, one time every 2 weeks a salida with mutual friends you limit your world a lot.

Either way from the list of San Pedro, Lujan, Taimaiken, Tigre, Palermo Zoo, Renting a bike in PM/strolling around the costanera, spending a sunday at the Palermo Bosque, going to the feria in San Telmo/going a day to La Plata. I would think that most expats have maybe done 1 or 2 and they have been here more then 3 years. I would say if that's the case you have a very limited view of what's Argentina.

Argentina is more then Palermo and Recoleta

I was working from home for 2 months in buenos aires and the 'work' side of it was great, but I couldn't take it really, If i had even 1 night without going out I would feel so depressed at the thought of then being home the whole next day. So for a while I went out every single night, but then I was exhausted and stressed from sleeping so little.

Maybe it would have been better if I had a more permanent gf who lived with me, but after living with my last gf for 2 years I really dont want to go through that again. I had a lot of great argentinian friends and got offered a few jobs through them but they were all about 10 % of what I was making from home...now I realy dont know what to do !!!!!!

Hi,
I live on a tight budget but to be honest it is impossible to keep me home. A night out does not have to cost a lot. there is so much to do. However, i guess it depends on what you are interested in.
Sometimes it is also nice to take time out and chill at home.
Also if you have been here a long time, it becomes home and people are as they are in their own country and going out is no longer a priority. This is a shame though but a fact of life.
. And a night in with friends can be as special as a night out.

I admit I got bored living in CF during the fourth year, after moving from Recoleta to Nunez, but it wasn't because of the move. I was just tired of living in the city and it only took me a couple months to finish renovating the apartment in Nunez.

Now that I am here:

http://www.remax.com.ar/PublicListingFull.aspx?lKey=91babcc3-4c00-4ba0-a557-2c1e4c15f884&Index=3

I should have enough to do (everyday) 'til I drop dead.

Getting bored is highly unlikely.

And it isn't because there are no other expats around.:D

Bs. As. is very expensive to go on the town. Many locals go out less because of the enormous inflation. One custom that I always liked here, that we seem to do less than Americans (or maybe it's just New Yorkers) is to eat dinner and hang out in a friend's house. A lot of my Argentinean friends, those with as well as those without money, love to order pizza, have an asado of home cooked meal, or share wine and picada together in each others houses and watch a video or chat with friends until 2 in the morning. After seven or eight years hear, Taimeken gets old, Lujan never changes, Palermo is still trying to be trendy, Recoleta is over priced and pretentious and a lot of locals just prefer spending time with their friends in their homes. We expats can do the same thing too and still have a great time.

nlaruccia said:
Bs. As. is very expensive to go on the town. Many locals go out less because of the enormous inflation. One custom that I always liked here, that we seem to do less than Americans (or maybe it's just New Yorkers) is to eat dinner and hang out in a friend's house. A lot of my Argentinean friends, those with as well as those without money, love to order pizza, have an asado of home cooked meal, or share wine and picada together in each others houses and watch a video or chat with friends until 2 in the morning. After seven or eight years hear, Taimeken gets old, Lujan never changes, Palermo is still trying to be trendy, Recoleta is over priced and pretentious and a lot of locals just prefer spending time with their friends in their homes. We expats can do the same thing too and still have a great time.

Depends again on where you go out, Capital is most of the times expensive by local standards but many places outside of capital which are just a small train ride away are not

I am also willing to bet a asado/pizza is about as expensive as a night out if you know where to go and are not trying to get waisted or waste yourself at home(like most locals do)

I never said you have to go to Taimaiken every week, just that it's a fun thing to do 1 or 2 times

steveinbsas said:
I admit I got bored living in CF during the fourth year, after moving from Recoleta to Nunez, but it wasn't because of the move. I was just tired of living in the city and it only took me a couple months to finish renovating the apartment in Nunez.

Now that I am here:

http://www.remax.com.ar/PublicListingFull.aspx?lKey=91babcc3-4c00-4ba0-a557-2c1e4c15f884&Index=3

I should have enough to do (everyday) 'til I drop dead.

Getting bored is highly unlikely.

Very nice!

Back