Bout To Go To Buenos Aires For The First Time!

awesomeplant

Registered
Hey all, I wanted to say hi and introduce myself!

I'm from Texas and about to be married to an Argentine :D We're marrying in Buenos Aires, also my first trip there. We plan to start the US immigration process for him but it's lengthy and as my current job has been worrying me we've certainly entertained the idea of me coming down there during the wait (and perhaps longer if we're happy there).

Of course there's the little problem of working and learning Spanish (I'm very much a beginner still). I'm in the video game industry (as a game designer) and I've been researching what's down there in my line of work. Finding there are a lot of studios, mostly in Buenos Aires. If anyone works in the industry or has some advice, I'd love to hear it. I'll be down there in 10 days and may have some free time during the 2 weeks while we're there (though the second week we'll be traveling to Iguassu and his hometown). At the end of the day, just the opportunity to network would be awesome, even if my job stays secure and I stay in the US.

Another obstacle, though, with the idea of me moving to Argentina is that my boyfriend is not from Buenos Aires and isn't crazy about the idea of settling there. But if I worked in games (or even pivoted to another tech industry -- I do have experience in web design), it seems like Buenos Aires would be our best option? We really want to be together, no matter what. Maybe I can just open a snow cone stand, haha. We'd be open to ideas is what I'm saying, and while I know I'm in for a culture shock and that life in Argentina has its challenges, I'm ready for the change and we're both quite adventurous.

Again, though, if someone has some suggestions on companies I could look at, maybe I can look 'em up and see if anyone wants to chat over coffee while I'm there.

Well, thanks for reading and I can't wait to be down there :D

If you can't stay in the States and he's not crazy abou BA, you might consider Chile, Colombia, or Mexico. All three of those countries have booming tech hubs and all three could be easy to live in while waiting out the process.

Other than BA, I'd say that Córdoba or La Plata would be your only other options.

I know a tech guy (from the US) who moved his company from here to Mexico City because it's closer to his family and it's so much easier to replace/upgrade computer equipment. And the flights are shorter and cheaper as well.

I also know another US expat who moved from BA to Mexico with her fiancé (maybe now husband) while they wait out the process because she couldn't import the items to Argentina she needed for her designs (or export the finished products).

And then there's the whole banking issue...

Thanks all for the ideas and information :D Mexico is something we had talked about briefly, we'll definitely keep discussing that, as well as Chile/Columbia, which we hadn't thought about!

If we wanted to make a change like this soon perhaps a more realistic approach would be to find some kind of non-game job and work in indie games on the side, networking with other devs as I go.

Or, better yet, open up that snow cone front business and work on games in the quiet hours :D Man I love that idea. Wonder if I can smuggle in the equipment! Haha.

Just noticed GS has more likes than he has posts......he must be doing something right! We would like to read some of your work GS if you could please share that information. I went to Costco and Sam's yesterday and thought how lucky I am to be living in Mexico....especially when I saw the Dr Pepper and log cabin maple syrup.

I went to Costco and Sam's yesterday and thought how lucky I am to be living in Mexico....especially when I saw the Dr Pepper and log cabin maple syrup.

Now that is not right!!!!.... that is a cheap shot..... haha

And right next to the snow cone stand open a TexMex restaurant. And right next to that open a Denny's or a Waffle House. :)

Buenos Aires could use good Tex-Mex, but Denny's needs to be eliminated as soon as possible, in the US and anywhere else. Never heard of the Waffle House, but you can get great waffles at http://www.interpatagonia.com/paseos/feria_regional_artesanos/

Save yourself endless political, economic, financial, and social aggravations...marry the dude and move to Uruguay.

Back