Brazil visa for US citizen - Duration

I see. Every Argentine I know that has a US visa got it for 10 years without any hassle.

I received a ten year Brasilian visa from the consulate in Miami for 10 years. Did not request it , they just issued it that way.

In 2010 I got a 5 year visa and my boss got a 10 year visa for brazil, neither of us were AR residents at the time, but they started to get a lot more strict a few months are that (as far as turnos and everything in general) so maybe it changed?

I know several expats who got a 5 year visa for Brasil here in Argentina and are not residents of Argentina, at least back in 2010. So definitely they were issuing visas for longer periods of time back then to non-residents, that may have changed however.

citygirl said:
I know several expats who got a 5 year visa for Brasil here in Argentina and are not residents of Argentina, at least back in 2010. So definitely they were issuing visas for longer periods of time back then to non-residents, that may have changed however.

It is possible. I applied for visas in 2008, 2009, and earlier this year. Perhaps there have been different Consuls General. I know that the Consul General in 2008 and 2009 was Eloisa Figueiredo, or something like that. I don't have my passport in front of me. It's entirely possible that the Consul General was a different person in 2010 and 2011, and just recently changed again in 2012. I'm also assuming that the expats you knew applied at the Consulate General of Brazil in Buenos Aires.

At any rate, as of March 2012, the policy was that you had to be a resident of Argentina to qualify for a visa longer than 90 days, at least that the Consulate General of Brazil in Buenos Aires.

citygirl said:

Another thing, were your expat friends Americans? My assertions that a visa longer than 90-days isn't possible is wholly based upon the applicant being a U.S. citizen.

bradlyhale said:
Another thing, were your expat friends Americans? My assertions that a visa longer than 90-days isn't possible is wholly based upon the applicant being a U.S. citizen.

I think it's just hit or miss depending on how they feel that day. I was a permanent resident for many years with a DNI and living in Argentina year-round and before they never would give longer than a 1 year visa. It was very annoying as I'd go to Brazil often for vacations and to hit the beaches.

As mentioned, finally last year I got a 10 year visa and my friends ARE Americans and they also got 10 year visas from the Consulate in Buenos Aires both last year and this year.

So for whatever reason they are telling you that Bradley. Probably the quickest and easiest thing to make you go away. Also, all the tourists in front of me in line were also getting 10 year visas. So it wasn't just a fluke.

And the other poster was correct that EVERY local friend that I know that has applied for a visa to go to the USA got it. Absolutely none of my friends were rejected and they all got 10 year visas.

I have a lot of employees that all applied and all got the USA visas with no problems and 10 year visas.

They were Americans actually - a bunch of us were all getting visas around the same time (albeit mine was a biz visa so different process). And yes, here in Buenos Aires at the consulate was where we all did it. Sounds like Irina had the same experience. And I remember the day I picked up my visa, everyone in line ahead of me also had 5 years. (I think I actually posted about it on here). I remember everyone being surprised/pleased and talking about it in the elevator.

My visa has Cristina Luisa Orti, vice-consul stamped on it.

This was before the process was automated.

It could also have something to do with the address you give as to where you will stay in Brasil , as well as the reason for the trip.

Back