Brazil Visa Problem

wandererbird

Registered
I got a visa about 5 years ago so it's about to expire. I'm thinking of moving to Brazil for a while, but the visa will expire while I'm there, is this a problem? What happens if you try to leave the country on an expired visa?

wandererbird said:
I got a visa about 5 years ago so it's about to expire. I'm thinking of moving to Brazil for a while, but the visa will expire while I'm there, is this a problem? What happens if you try to leave the country on an expired visa?

Brazil takes violating the terms of a tourist visa a whole lot more seriously than Argentina so I'd recommend getting a new visa in BA before heading to Brazil. I believe you get charged per day when you overstay a tourist visa (I heard it was something like 6.5 reals per day). And the second time I went to Brazil I had a real hassle at the airport because I had no exit stamp from my first visit. Took like a half-hour to get through. So, they take that stuff seriously over there. Don't mess around, get a new visa before you go.

citygirl said:
Why wouldn't you just renew your visa before you go?

Because they're being difficult and annoying me...there's no renewal process. You have to go through the whole thing from the beginning and it's stupid. I'd like to know if I can get around this.

ssr said:
Brazil takes violating the terms of a tourist visa a whole lot more seriously than Argentina so I'd recommend getting a new visa in BA before heading to Brazil. I believe you get charged per day when you overstay a tourist visa (I heard it was something like 6.5 reals per day). And the second time I went to Brazil I had a real hassle at the airport because I had no exit stamp from my first visit. Took like a half-hour to get through. So, they take that stuff seriously over there. Don't mess around, get a new visa before you go.

Why didn't you have an exit stamp? You probably left through one of those border crossings like at Iguazu or maybe through Bolivia. I was thinking of doing that too. Is it hard?

I do know there's a per day fee, but it's capped at a certain amount. I might end up paying less than I would for a "renewal" right now. The problem is that overstaying the 90 days is less serious I'd imagine than overstaying an expired visa. That's what I'd like to know about...what would they do in that case.

wandererbird said:
Why didn't you have an exit stamp? You probably left through one of those border crossings like at Iguazu or maybe through Bolivia. I was thinking of doing that too. Is it hard?

Nope, just flew in and out of Rio on my first trip and I guess they forgot to stamp my passport on the way out. I had no clue until I flew into Floripa (or it may have been Porto Alegre) on my second trip and got stuck (and the guy was deadly serious about that exit stamp; I make sure to get a stamp when I leave Brazil now).

I know a guy who snuck in and out of Brazil through Iguazu but I also know another guy who managed to get a five-year visa in one day from the Brazilian consulate in BA. Seems like an awful lot of effort and/or risk to sneak across a border when you can just get a new visa, no?

You can extend your visa at the Federal Police. It's around 60-70 reais. Let me know if you're interested, and I can explain it more in-depth. I've done it before, and it was quite easy. If you take this option, I'd suggest purchasing a flexible ticket through GOL that will allow you to change your date of travel without a fine. You will want to purchase a ticket within the validity of your visa when you travel to Brazil, and subsequently change the return of your ticket when you go to extend it.

The visa can only be extended for a max. of 6 months.

If you overstay your visa, you are charged $7something reais everyday for 100 days. The maximum is $800something reais, which I believe you'd pay when you come back. In my opinion, it's never a good idea to overstay any visas.

Brazil has serious issues with their stamps. I've been given exit stamps instead of entry stamps without even knowing it... I've met several people who've had the same problem.

bradlyhale said:
You can extend your visa at the Federal Police. It's around 60-70 reais. Let me know if you're interested, and I can explain it more in-depth. I've done it before, and it was quite easy. If you take this option, I'd suggest purchasing a flexible ticket through GOL that will allow you to change your date of travel without a fine. You will want to purchase a ticket within the validity of your visa when you travel to Brazil, and subsequently change the return of your ticket when you go to extend it.

The visa can only be extended for a max. of 6 months.

If you overstay your visa, you are charged $7something reais everyday for 100 days. The maximum is $800something reais, which I believe you'd pay when you come back. In my opinion, it's never a good idea to overstay any visas.

Brazil has serious issues with their stamps. I've been given exit stamps instead of entry stamps without even knowing it... I've met several people who've had the same problem.

Thanks...but the problem is not with the 90-day thing, I know that can be extended at the Pol. Fed. ...the problem is the visa itself will expire while I'm there, because I got it about 5 year ago. That's probably a somewhat more serious issue but I can't find any info. about it or what happens if the visa itself expires while you're there.

wandererbird said:
Thanks...but the problem is not with the 90-day thing, I know that can be extended at the Pol. Fed. ...the problem is the visa itself will expire while I'm there, because I got it about 5 year ago. That's probably a somewhat more serious issue but I can't find any info. about it or what happens if the visa itself expires while you're there.

If you got the visa 5 years ago and it will still be valid when you travel to Brazil, you can extend it.

The 90 day stamp that they give you when you enter is irrelevant. If your visa isn't valid for 90 days when you enter, you won't be given 90 days. You will be given the total amount of days remaining. (For what it's worth, I've never been given any number of days [written on my stamp, a la Argentina] when I enter the country, only the 180 day maximum per year.)

When the visa you have expires, you will start paying $7something reais a day for 100 days. This will be a maximum of $800something reais.

You will have to go to the Federal Police if you plan on staying past the validity of your 5-year visa. As I said, it can be extended for 6 months. Foreigners are only authorized to stay in Brazil for 180 days in a 12-month period.

bradlyhale said:
If you got the visa 5 years ago and it will still be valid when you travel to Brazil, you can extend it.

The 90 day stamp that they give you when you enter is irrelevant. If your visa isn't valid for 90 days when you enter, you won't be given 90 days. You will be given the total amount of days remaining. (For what it's worth, I've never been given any number of days [written on my stamp, a la Argentina] when I enter the country, only the 180 day maximum per year.)

When the visa you have expires, you will start paying $7something reais a day for 100 days. This will be a maximum of $800something reais.

You will have to go to the Federal Police if you plan on staying past the validity of your 5-year visa. As I said, it can be extended for 6 months. Foreigners are only authorized to stay in Brazil for 180 days in a 12-month period.

Hi Brad. My only question is: the time you are allowed to stay in Brazil depends or reciprocity inst it?

For example, for an English person in BRazil applies the same as for a Brazilian in the UK - maximum 6 months. And an UK citizen in Brazil has to go the federal police before his/her first 90 days expire, to renew the visa for another 90 days. No more in a year.

But what for a person that actually has a 5 year visa and is an US citizen? Will he be able to renew it for other 5 years so easily at the Fed Police? Perhaps it is posible (that's why I ask you), and I dont know, but it does not seem to be so easy.

Adn yes, Brazil is much more serious in there issues than Argentina. If your passport has a chip, the feds will read your info deirectly. Have you been to the Migra here? They type in everything and even delete useful information by.... accident. Many times I've been there and there were strange entries in the country under my name, places i've never been to.

Salut.

Wandererbird: get a Visa before you go to Brazil. My humble opinion.

Back