Bribed by a Federal Police Officer

The only thing I can say is to better check transparency international reports [1] before moving to a new country next time.
Of course it is outrageous and if you are running a business you will suffer even more than as a private person, no matter whether you are a foreigner or a local. Nevertheless it is just how it is. It always was that way, and eventhough it might change, you better make some babies so that your grandchildren can reap the benefits since it will take a long time. It's not a side-effect of "the system", it's a part of it.

I don't want to sound negative, the thing is simply that Argentina is known to be a very corrupt country and you will have a hard time fighting it. You will get more joy out of life if you accept it. You have ideals? That's a dilemma.

[1] http://www.transparency.org/policy_research/surveys_indices/cpi/2010/results

bradlyhale said:
Today I went to go get my certificado de domicilio, asked if I could get it delivered quicker than Monday, and the guy wrote "1-0-0" on the edge of the paper. I was speechless, and just shocked by how he did it feet away from another person waiting behind me. He had no shame, and he was even smiling. Total impunity. I looked at it for a second. Without saying a word, I got up and left.

He pocketed my 10 pesos...(he actually put the bill in his pocket.)

Butter would not melt in your mouth petal . Your hipocrisy and nasty comments about Argentinians are too much especially from a USA CITIZEN THE MOST CORRUPT NATION IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD . HOW MANY WARS HAVE YOU STARTED IN THE NAME OF LIES ?

GET A LIFE!!!!
http://www.whatdoesitmean.com/index1417.htm

Argentines are used to bribing people and asking for bribery

No we don´t, you do. See? Easy to say it.

I don´t remember when I gave money to the police or some other government official. Maybe it was 15 years ago, five pesos in a very corrupt district, I don´t remember. As with the restaurants that expats go, and the prices they pay for everything, if you are giving money for bribes to everybody, you are doing something wrong.

angelskywalker said:
Argentines are used to bribing people and asking for bribery. But 100 is outrageous.

They always keep the $ 10 in their pockets, that's just standard procedure. Obviously, don't even ask for a receipt.

As an Argentine I find your comment extremely insulting, you just cannot generalize in such a way, showing lack of respect to most of the argentines that opened their heart to you in their own country.

I have never ever bribed anyone in my life and not even been asked for a bribe either. There are lots of corrupt officers, but that happens everywhere, and you know what? The only time I witnessed an officer asking for a bribe it was not in Argentina but in Bakersfield, CA. when me and a friend of mine got pulled over by a highway patrol officer. My friend paid him I don't remember what ammount of money and we left. And I dont go everywhere saying "Americans are used to bribing people and asking for bribery"... Please, try to think twice about what you write before submitting a comment.

Never bribed anyone or had anyone ask for one, I have been here for almost 5 years.

When my ex (an Argentine girl from Gran BsAs) got pulled over for a random sobriety check, she failed the test. (She's small and it doesn't take many drinks for her to fail.)

Anyway, one of the first things she told the officer was-

"I have a lot of money in my purse if you would like it." (in Spanish of course)

The officer refused. And the ex responded.

"Good. I'm glad that you aren't taking the money, but I didn't know if that's what I was supposed to do."

So perhaps it's time to be offended that an Argentine from the Buenos Aires area thought that bribing cops was the way things worked in BsAs. It sure as hell is the way the company she used to work for had to deal with the unions & strikers/protesters even when their company wasn't the one being officially targeted by the protests, but was unfortunately affected because their trucks couldn't exit the compound because of the strikers. Again, be offended if it makes you feel better.

PS- I have yet to be asked for a bribe. (I think.)

PPS- I have yet to bribe anyone other than a door man in Mardel about 2 years ago. Sorry, it was cold and I was with two girls who were under dressed. Shoot me.

theargie said:
As an Argentine I find your comment extremely insulting, you just cannot generalize in such a way, showing lack of respect to most of the argentines that opened their heart to you in their own country.
- and the Moon is made of green cheese.

Why are some people in denial of unpleasant facts?

Hellek gave a link to the corruption index http://www.transparency.org/policy_research/surveys_indices/cpi/2010/results

What is Argentina's score?

If you want to stop an unpleasant practice, the first step is to acknowledge its existence.

I've lived here about 5 years and have been told indirectly about having to bribe government officials indirecly many times, however I've experienced it once myself. For not paying a bribe to the inspectors from the Agencia Gubernamental de Control, they closed my business down for 21 days for absoulutely no reason. I now have a lawsuit filed in Tribunales against the Buenos Aires city government pending. I know that other business in the area where mine is located pay bribes on a regular basis to avoid costly fines and closures, when I got closed down, they all told me "porque no arreglaste con ellos" but I couldn't get involved in that. One business owner even told me that the municipal inspector that he paid bribes to for years to had retired, however still went around to small businesses collecting bribes, until a new one appeard who they had to pay the bribes to and told them to stop paying the old guy because he was no longer working as an inspector. The police (policia federal) that patrol our area, that have been put in place lately, are excellent. They are friendly, courteous and helpful, and won't even accept a soda or cup of coffee without paying for it. I think on a countrywide level things are changing for the better in terms of corruption, however while Macri at the head of Buenos Aires city government things will stay corrupt and continue to worsen.

Napoleon said:
When my ex (an Argentine girl from Gran BsAs) got pulled over for a random sobriety check, she failed the test. (She's small and it doesn't take many drinks for her to fail.)

Anyway, one of the first things she told the officer was-

"I have a lot of money in my purse if you would like it." (in Spanish of course)

The officer refused.
Good guy!
Advice her to not even think about it if she is ever to visit Germany, Scandinavia and (AFAIK) New Zealand. There she would have been handcuffed on the spot, as offering a bribe is considered a crime equal to taking one.

Napoleon said:
Shoot me.
Bang! you're dead :p

Like John.St said. In many countries you are in serious trouble if you offer a bribe. Even in Argentina it is risky if you do it that open, and also kind of insulting to the corrupt officer. It has to be done with style unless they openly request it from you. That's why most travel guides advice against bribing. If you don't know how to do it, you can get into a lot of trouble.

If somebody tells he never bribed in X years that just means he did not have to do much business with authorities. If you think PFA is corrupt, try importing something big and report what you think about the aduana. They are the worst :)

Back