Bribed by a Federal Police Officer

All black people are lazy, all gays are hysterical, all women are dumber than men, all Argentines accept bribes. Don't mind me, just some " rhetorical generalizations ".

Mind you? I'm all for cynicism! Not offensive and I can always use some. I'll say it again, I'm glad to be here and not in the average local foro getting a waterfall of insults for reply.

Hache said:
Theargie, I know what you mean but clooz is right:

Rhetorical generalization should be taken just as that: rhetorical. Remember this is a foreigners board, and don't expect anything like "I know I'm generalizing" or "no mean to offend anyone" because the messages don't go to locals but to other foreigners whom in most cases recognize a rhetorical generalization.

My advice is don't focus on the offensive-like spots and try to get the big picture. Once offended, you're biased and pretty much wasting your time.

My regards, and take it easy.

haha ye I always take it easy! and I realize that to say I was "offended" was a little bit too childish of me, I probably took it too literally and at a bad moment.
As I stated before, I love to share opinions from different points of view, thats why I decided to move to different places and stay in those places for awhile, getting in touch with the community, etc (I kinda wanna feel like I am a "citizen of the world"!) I was there, now I'm here, tomorrow I will be somewhere else... just love that!
Anyway, If I hadn't felt identified with what most of the members of this forum go through in a foreign country and their thoughts, I wouldn't have joined this forum from the start!

Allright! Im off to study a lil bit more, it's midterms time... yuck!

theargie said:
haha ye I always take it easy! and I realize that to say I was "offended" was a little bit too childish of me, I probably took it too literally and at a bad moment.

It happens to me as well and I've done worse, believe me. I just pointed out what I believe is a wrong impression.

As I stated before, I love to share opinions from different points of view, thats why I decided to move to different places and stay in those places for awhile, getting in touch with the community, etc (I kinda wanna feel like I am a "citizen of the world"!) I was there, now I'm here, tomorrow I will be somewhere else... just love that!
Anyway, If I hadn't felt identified with what most of the members of this forum go through in a foreign country and their thoughts, I wouldn't have joined this forum from the start!

“Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” Bernard Shaw

Looks like you already know that. :)

Allright! Im off to study a lil bit more, it's midterms time... yuck!

Exitos!

theargie said:
John and Mendozanow,
I think I expressed myself clearly enough, but I can't be 100% sure. The fact is: You totally got me wrong.

What I found offensive, and will ALWAYS find offensive, is Generalization.
When I wrote e.g. "Don't forget we actually like you Argentinos," it's also a generalization - and not one of the Argentinos objected :D

We use them all the time, Argentinas are beautiful, Brasileros are noisy, Scandinavians are cold and blond, British are haughty, ... extend the list by a mile.

Some, even many, Argentinos are ready to cheat any extranjero they meet.
Some, even many, Argentinos are very friendly towards extranjeros.
Some, even many, Argentinos are honest.
Some, even many, Argentinos refuse coíma, to pay bribes, grit their teeth and wait 3 hours in a meaningless queue rather than adding to petty criminality.

We usually boil it down to "Argentinos are ready to cheat any extranjero they meet" and "Argentinos are very friendly towards extranjeros".

If I analyzed your - until now only 14 - posts I think I could find generalizations there too, as in: "why people keep voting the same politicians over and over again" - some do, some don't

- oh, and no offence meant or taken - as mendozanow says: "We should be able to say what we like without offending ..." - we exchange opinions, which differ.

theargie said:
Allright, have a great weekend!!
Same to you!

TheBlackHand said:
All black people are lazy, all gays are hysterical, all women are dumber than men, all Argentines accept bribes. Don't mind me, just some " rhetorical generalizations ".
All black people are good at basketball, all gays are gentle, all women are prettier than men, all Argentines are the best football players.

All
makes all the difference.

Not meaning to drag up an old post, but the same thing that happened to the OP just happened to me, with the same certificate. I reckon they just see it as a way of making extra money and try it on all the time.

I was with my wife and the officer actually said that if we hadn't been married he would have asked for something else (looking at her).

I have to say, I feel a bit shocked. Probably naive, but still, I couldn't quite believe that someone could be so brazen about it all.

Back