Bringing cash from us…

Did they count it in front of you? Was it on a money belt?
I had a connection in Bogotá, in Colombia yes, they did count the money. In Argentina, they asked, I just said I was bringing less than 10 000.
The point is, if you don't declare it, and they see the money and count it, it might be very hard for you to see this money again. If you declare it, you will have to provide the source of the funds.
I used a small man purse to bring it but as you know, everything goes to the scanner.
As I said before, I would never come to Argentina with an amount that I would have to declare.

I think this one has been pretty well hammered out. I'll just add that it is always best to eventually consult with the rule-makers, in the case of the USA US Customs and Border Protection, to collect any nuances:

Members of a family residing in one household entering the United States that submit a joint or family declaration must declare if the members are collectively carrying currency or monetary instruments in a combined amount over $10,000 on their Customs Declaration Form (CBP Form 6059B). Members individually carrying over $10,000 are then required to file a Members FinCEN Form 105. Members of a family residing in one household that submit a joint or family declaration are prohibited from causing others in the group to carry currency or monetary instruments in the group on their behalf, so that no member carries more than $10,000. International travelers departing from the United States with currency or monetary instruments in a combined amount over $10,000 are also required to file a FinCEN Form 105 prior to their time of departure. https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-195?language=en_US

Family is pretty much defined (as implied here but search elsewhere) as people who live together (partners, marrieds, adoptees, children, etc.). Basically, as others have noted it could be a huge mistake not to declare cash (and merchandise) as the law requires.

I've made many trips from US to Arg. Never been asked about cash, never had a problem.
About 4 years ago, I was walking through the sleeve to board the AA plane in Dallas to EZE, and we were stopped by US police. They took me and my wife (both retirees) to a small room and asked how much cash we had on hand. I estimated a bit over $9,000, and they made me sign a declaration statement. Then they opened our carryons, our backpacks, and emptied our pockets. They searched all meticulously. They counted all the money they found, including pesos, and compared it to my sworn declaration; because it was less than $10,000 and close to what I had declared, they let us go. We had to pack everything again. The police wouldn't be bothered. Thus, don't believe you won't be searched when leaving the USA.

I travel often enough I don't need to bring large amounts on any one trip.
Out of curiosity what is the fine/penalty?

About 4 years ago, I was walking through the sleeve to board the AA plane in Dallas to EZE, and we were stopped by US police. They took me and my wife (both retirees) to a small room and asked how much cash we had on hand. I estimated a bit over $9,000, and they made me sign a declaration statement. Then they opened our carryons, our backpacks, and emptied our pockets. They searched all meticulously. They counted all the money they found, including pesos, and compared it to my sworn declaration; because it was less than $10,000 and close to what I had declared, they let us go. We had to pack everything again. The police wouldn't be bothered. Thus, don't believe you won't be searched when leaving the USA.
This happened to me in Cuba in 2018 but they were looking for drugs (They thought my 4 bottles of Heineken were drugs in liquid). How the hell someone would put 4 beers in a checked luggage 🤣🤣!
Well, I would have died if I had left these in my hotel room small fridge.

I've always entered (alone) with less than 10,000 and always in more than 1 location in my carry-on/person. Usually some in my backpack, some in my carryon and some in a beltbag under my jacket (which usually doesn't go through the machine).

Back