bringing iPhone into argentina

safricaninba

Registered
Hi,

Has anyone gone through customs at EZE in the past few weeks? I heard rumors that it was more difficult to get electronics etc through. I wanted to bring an iPhone or 2 back to sell and wanted to know people's experiences. Put them in a jacket pocket, small bag that I don't put in the x-ray machine, or what? Obviously it's most valuable if it's still in the box (though more difficult to hide I realize), so any ideas for getting it through in the box would be ideal.

Helpful advice and ideas would be appreciated!

safricaninba said:
Hi,

I wanted to bring an iPhone or 2 back to sell and wanted to know people's experiences. Put them in a jacket pocket, small bag that I don't put in the x-ray machine, or what? Obviously it's most valuable if it's still in the box (though more difficult to hide I realize), so any ideas for getting it through in the box would be ideal.

I should tell you that it's impossible and that you'll get a full body cavity search.

But I will reluctantly tell you the truth. Very few of us with US passports who live here have had great difficulties.

If your intention is to bring it down, avoid paying taxes, and then sell it - then that's called smuggling. And you should not be seeking our advice on this forum.

In fact, you're doing us all a major disservice. Because the more foreign people like you who do this (bring in multiple Apple products in their original boxes), the more attention is drawn to the subject and the more we're scrutinized at Ezeiza. So to sum it up - people like you make it harder for the rest of us who actually work hard to make an honest living. Some of us reap the rewards of our hard work in the form of Apple products, that are virtually impossible to obtain down here. These we buy when we visit our homes in the US and Europe and bring them back for our personal use.

Go ahead, bring in a couple of iPads and iPhones in their fancy white packaging and sell them on Mercadolibre. Good riddance and you probably don't want to forget to bring those stickers that come in box.

But for Christ's sake, don't ask us for advice.

As a foreigner, you should have no issues bringing your electronics in. I arrived in Argentina about 3 weeks ago and brought a good amount of electronics with me (laptop, tablet, smart phone, ebook reader, etc...). No one at customs spoke a word to me about it.

Its easy, as long as it not for personal use you can get charged for 50% of the new value if detected. And if detected you will probally pay.

You definitly taking it with you for some profit, so the choice is really up to you.

I personally would only sell it without pacage and send the invoice,etc. by the mail.

Unless you get caught. Don't you read the the forum? They're starting to administer stricter control of foreigners than Argentines. Some do get in with a lot of electronics and some have been caught in the last few weeks and heavily fined.

nlaruccia said:
Unless you get caught. Don't you read the the forum? They're starting to administer stricter control of foreigners than Argentines. Some do get in with a lot of electronics and some have been caught in the last few weeks and heavily fined.

You do something that's illegal, and ask if there is a chance you get caught.

Yeah, there is, dont do it unless you are prepared to pay for the consequences. Which is a 50% of the out-of-store value

safricaninba said:
Hi,

Has anyone gone through customs at EZE in the past few weeks? I heard rumors that it was more difficult to get electronics etc through. I wanted to bring an iPhone or 2 back to sell and wanted to know people's experiences. Put them in a jacket pocket, small bag that I don't put in the x-ray machine, or what? Obviously it's most valuable if it's still in the box (though more difficult to hide I realize), so any ideas for getting it through in the box would be ideal.

I brought in about 4 phones (all of them in personal use though) on my person. Didn't put them through the scanner and no one asked whether I had phones or not. I would suggest taking them out of their boxes. With import restrictions, you don't have much to lose even if you throw away the boxes. People are going to want to buy them anyway.

nlaruccia said:

Maybe I have just been lucky. But I leave Argentina about once a week for work (going to Brasil, Chile or Uruguay) and I always carry a smartphone, tablet and Macbook pro with me. I am yet to be bothered at all by customs when I return.

camberiu said:
Maybe I have just been lucky. But I leave Argentina about once a week for work (going to Brasil, Chile or Uruguay) and I always carry a smartphone, tablet and Macbook pro with me. I am yet to be bothered at all by customs when I return.

You can bring your own but you cant bring ones to sell.

Try as a Brazilian to bring in 3 mac book pro's, 4 ipads and 3 iphone's

you can bring one personal phone and /or laptop, camera and so on. Item has to be used . If you declare and item make sure you have a valid original legible receipt, up to $300 they won't charge you, over that will be %50 of what the receipt says. But since it's Argentina all depends on the mood of the agent....

Back