Bringing used printer to ARG

Ciro

Registered
Hello, I am thinking of bringing with me a 3 y.o. Canon printer next time I travel to ARG. I have the original invoice in my name. Does anyone here have any idea/experience if it would be feasible to do it? Does used equipment pay entry duties? Thank you for any pointers.

I have done it twice, in my checked luggage, without any trouble whatsoever. They didnt even open the bag after it went thru the scanner. The first one lasted five years or so, then was unrepairable, and so I bought another. BUT- If I was you, I would check on Mercado Libre to make sure the ink is available here- I have a Canon that they just dont have the ink for, I have to bring it from the USA, big pain. Canon is not a very available brand here, I think you would be better off buying a new $100 HP or Epson, take it out of the original packing, and wrap it in a sweater. Most will run on 220 just fine, check the data plate or the power cord.

Thank you for your answer. Is the $100 HP multifunction also? If so, could you please send me a link to it?

Thank you for your answer. Is the $100 HP multifunction also? If so, could you please send me a link to it?
assuming you live in the USA, just go on Amazon, there are at least 4 HP models at or below a hundred dollars, and most big office supply chains usually have some on sale as well.

assuming you live in the USA, just go on Amazon, there are at least 4 HP models at or below a hundred dollars, and most big office supply chains usually have some on sale as well.

I misread you. Yes, I live in the USA. Will do as you suggest and evaluate. I am kind of attached to my printer, it works fine, toner is inexpensive ($50 x 2200+ prints), its paid for, airline charges $200 to carry it. Thank you for your answers.

I opted to sell my printer in the US, thinking it’d be easier to just buy one in Argentina (it was a large multifunction, that I too was very fond of! Brother ). I looked around, and the direct replacement was quite expensive here, so I opted for a much less expensive option. However I didn’t do all of my due diligence, and spent an enormous amount of time trying to get AirPrint to work. Finally got the right customer service agent on the phone and was told that my new printer didn’t have the AirPrint function. If you’re an apple person you’ll understand why that was a deal breaker! If not, I’ve got a practically new brother printer that I’m trying to offload. I bought a replacement (HP) printer with AirPrint and although not the Brother multifunctional that I loved for so many Years, I am back to happy!

In general, the marketing strategy in Argentina is to import older and simpler models of tech, because they are already so expensive that the most current and fancy ones are REALLY expensive.
So when you look at the printers, or the video monitors, or the noise cancelling headphones or similar items on Mercado Libre, you will usually find models that are a generation or two behind the latest greatest stuff sold in the US or Europe.
And, since Iphones are so expensive in Argentina (usually its in the top 3 countries, worldwide, for most expensive apple products at retail) the idea of having apple specific features is not as common.
An argentine electronics wholesaler will stock the simpler cheaper stuff.
There are usually some apple compatible things, but they are harder to find and cost more.
And as I mentioned earlier, only some models means only some ink refills- Canon, for instance, is simply not stocked by most ink dealers. And fancy inks are often only at a few places, and at a premium- if you wanted the high end photo printers that use 6 colors of sublimation ink, they are not going to be cheap, and not at the corner store.
If you have very specific needs for tech, first check mercado libre and see if its even available, then, note prices. Some things it definitely makes sense to bring in checked luggage.

Just a (hopefully) humorous aside...our son worked at the Fargo ND airport a few years ago, and texted me after the flight left: "WHY would people be checking 4 printers in their bags to EZE?!"

He's visited us a few times since. Now he's with Delta at O'Hare and doesn't blink at anything checked to EZE!

Haven't brought in a printer, but a month ago I carried a humongous Viking Huskvarna sewing machine, foot and all, in a suitcase and Customs didn't even detect it.

Back