Retiring and bringing a Parrot

charlesfradley

Registered
Greetings,

In 2026 I turn 70 years of age, that is when my USA social security hits maximum so I can finally retire. I am stuck working in USA until then, my employer does not allow remote work. When the day comes I plan to make a bee-line for Argentina.

Will be applying for Pensionado visa ..... I currently live in Florida ... should I begin the process via the consulate in Miami? Or should I wait until I physically arrive in Argentina?

Also, I will bring my wife, and would like to bring our Conure Parrot. Does anybody know about rules for bringing a pet bird into Argentina? I have found info for bringing dog or cat, but so far nothing about bringing a bird. I guess I will talk to the airline closer to the time about it.

Thanks,

CFR.

I actually went through a similar process 7 years ago with a Green Cheek Conure. At the time, it is very possible that we were the only people who had done this for over decade. The regulations are specific to each species, so you will need to find out what exactly is necessary for your bird well in advance of travel. Hopefully it will not be so difficult for your particular bird's species.

I highly recommend you get in touch with a veterinarian who specializes in birds. A generalist veterinarian will likely not be of much help. You will need several government agency approvals in the US and Argentina in advance due to concerns over Avian Flu. In our case, it only worked because I was in the US and my partner was in Buenos Aires and we worked the system on both ends simultaneously.

In addition to paperwork, approvals, veterinary inspection in both countries, my bird was also quarantined in Argentina bird sanctuary in Buenos Aires for 30 days.

It was a lengthy, confusing, convoluted process that very few people know about since the process of taking a pet bird from US to Argentina is very, very rare. Start early, -like at least 4-6 months prior to your flight. Please, do not underestimate the potential difficulty of this.

In the same way that parrot years are very different from human years, time in Argentina is very different from the rest of the world and in 2026, after at least one change of government and its repercussions, nothing that you may be using to base your decisions on may be there at that time. Don't make any irrevocable decisions just yet.

Back