British Products

Winterfell

Registered

A couple of weeks ago I saw (and bought) a bottle of Beefeater's priced about equal as in the UK. I don't remember the amount in Ar$ but I did check online and buying it in Sainsbury's would have cost roughly the same.

How do you rate Beefeater's, Glasgow J?

mc kenna

Registered
Here's a typical British product, that's been around since before Argentina was a country, pero ojo!!!! don't drink it!!!!

Girino

Registered
A young lass like yourself should be drinking Hendricks Gin - only your Grandmother would drink Gordons
I love Hendricks but I have never seen it in Argentina. I brought over a bottle once, then cried for a year because I couldn't even find Gordons'.
I hope we will be getting there eventually. Hendricks is so much better it could be a whole different product. It's like a daydream. :wub:

glasgowjohn

Registered
I love Hendricks but I have never seen it in Argentina. I brought over a bottle once, then cried for a year because I couldn't even find Gordons'.
I hope we will be getting there eventually. Hendricks is so much better it could be a whole different product. It's like a daydream. :wub:
I saw it in Coto in Av segurola at the weekend . I also think I saw it in the Winery recently.

Unfortunately , its around 1250 / 1300 pesos

glasgowjohn

Registered
Found Gordon's Gin at Disco for just 147 ARS. At the duty free in Aeroparque is was sold for 20 USD on the same day! Guess where I bought mine :mad:
Thats a very good price.

It may be imported in bulk and bottled locally - that's the only way it could get close to that price.

If it was imported from London directly , it should be around 450 pesos.

Local bottling shouldn't affect the quality at all . I would imagine that Diageo the brand owners will carefully control wht happens overseas.

glasgowjohn

Registered
A couple of weeks ago I saw (and bought) a bottle of Beefeater's priced about equal as in the UK. I don't remember the amount in Ar$ but I did check online and buying it in Sainsbury's would have cost roughly the same.

How do you rate Beefeater's, Glasgow J?
I am a big Beefeaters fan - its the best UK gin to make dry martinis with.

I also suspect that the neutral grain alcohol used in Beefeater is shipped down to London from Invergordon , a wee bit north of my home town

Beefeater is easily available in Bs As and its around 450 pesos .

This great British brand is now owned by Pernod Ricard.

Girino

Registered
Thats a very good price.

It may be imported in bulk and bottled locally - that's the only way it could get close to that price.

If it was imported from London directly , it should be around 450 pesos.

Local bottling shouldn't affect the quality at all . I would imagine that Diageo the brand owners will carefully control wht happens overseas.
It doesn't specify this detail, however they even made a note about its arrival to Argentina on La Nación!
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/2032099-el-gin-mas-vendido-del-mundo-llega-a-la-argentina

Gringoboy

Registered
Anyone tried British Corner Shop?
They have a good social network page...you know the one.
Anyway, I might try an experimental purchase and see what happens.

Churchill

Registered
When I first came to Argentina way back in 05 my mum would send me stuff through the post 3 or 4 times a year. Apart from the fact that I always had to collect it from Retiro, I never had any issues and rejoiced in receiving tea bags, hp, marmite and the like. Always came through undamaged so it can be done, but man I just don't trust the system any more. Good luck if you do try! Hopefully if it goes well you will be inspired to open up a Brit food shop in Bs As. That said I talked to the lady in Santiago Chile who runs the British food shop over there and she said that even in Chile it was a massive pain in the arse getting stuff through the Chilean customs. So I can only imagine what it would be like here.