Brou Bank Account Comprobante Ingresos

Your ATM debit card has a daily limit which could make the trip to UY not worth it, plus you get charged for each withdrawal, which is limited by the very ATM (doesn't depend on your card).

I was able to withdraw USD 300 per transaction, for a USD6 fee each time.
My card limit is USD1,000 per day, which means I am able to make up to three withdrawal per day (300+6)*3 = USD 918.
The cost for a daily trip to colonia is roughly USD40-50 between ferry and transportation to/from the pier.

I can increase my debit card daily limit (I think the max is USD 3,000 in my case) and I have unlimited rebates on foreign withdrawals, but some member on this forum reported that banks can cease your account whenever they please, and sure "abusing" this free unlimited rebate thing could trigger this. There was somebody with an arrangement like mine who had his/her account terminated all of a sudden. I think it was with HSBC or BoA.

Compare this with the cost of a wire transfer (USD 15-20) to a UY account and the ability to withdraw 10,000 cash at once in a single day. I am not sure how much is the cost of maintaining a bank account in UY, though.

That's all I can think about.
For a family of 1-2 people with a modest spending, an ATM debit card should be okay. For a larger family or someone with an expensive lifestyle, this might be not.
Plus, you have to consider that sometimes it is even hard to get a replacement debit card shipped to Argentina, so I wouldn't rely on that only.

I used my debit card only in UY in 2014, and after 10 months I found out it was cloned and I every day or so I was being debited around USD 7 from an alleged Mexican no-profit organization (Ayuda por Mexico, or something like that).

BROU is USD1200 per ATM card per BROU account (no fee). I have a joint account. When I have a friend going to UY for business he stops at the ATM at MVD airport. Of course, I could draw more if I could go in person. If my friend is there for a couple days...not bad...almost USD5k.

Cost $0 if you maintain USD500 in the account (unless it has changed recently--I haven't noted any fees).

I'm in Cordoba, so no regular trips possible since Pluna went under...used to be about USD100-150 round trip nonstop...twice daily flights. Hopefully Pluna's replacement rising from the ashes Alas Uruguay will offer good rates if they ever get off the ground. (Not..."Alas, Uruguay"...not a great name when read as English) ;)

If you rely on withdrawing dollars from the ATMs and you go all the way to Colonia only to find out that the majority of the ATMs aren't working or are out of dollars, a common occurrence, then you'd opt for opening a Uruguayan bank account in dollars.

I opened a BROU acct in Colonia last fall. I used my U.S. passport although I have my DNI. They required a minimum $200 balance and no chg for Atm wdrawals. I showed my 401k statement for proof of income. They report balances of over $10,000 annually to the U.S. which is not a problem for me b/c I file U.S. taxes and have nothing to hide. I was told the daily max on atms was $1000/day. I have also used my Schwab debit card there - Schwab refunds all atm fees bk to my acct. I have wired from the U.S. to my BROU acct for $35 stateside and $55 from BROU.

I opened a BROU acct in Colonia last fall. I used my U.S. passport although I have my DNI. They required a minimum $200 balance and no chg for Atm wdrawals. I showed my 401k statement for proof of income. They report balances of over $10,000 annually to the U.S. which is not a problem for me b/c I file U.S. taxes and have nothing to hide. I was told the daily max on atms was $1000/day. I have also used my Schwab debit card there - Schwab refunds all atm fees bk to my acct. I have wired from the U.S. to my BROU acct for $35 stateside and $55 from BROU.

If I understand correctly the charges to wire funds are US$90 .

Schwab refunds all atm fees bk to my acct. I have wired from the U.S. to my BROU acct for $35 stateside and $55 from BROU.

ceviche said:

whenever i transferred from my US account to Brou account -- it cost close to 85-90 usd

I have Schwab as well, but not a BROU account, and Schwab fees are:
  • No fee on incoming wire transfers, either domestic or international
  • USD25 to send a wire transfer, either domestic or international [link and details]
  • Unlimited ATM fee rebates
Maybe it's BROU charging so much to receive funds from abroad. Or am I missing something?

[/font][/color]

I have Schwab as well, but not a BROU account, and Schwab fees are:
  • No fee on incoming wire transfers, either domestic or international
  • USD25 to send a wire transfer, either domestic or international [link and details]
  • Unlimited ATM fee rebates
Maybe it's BROU charging so much to receive funds from abroad. Or am I missing something?

Correct they are saying $ 25/35 aprox .stateside and $55 from BROU = $90

Correct they are saying $ 25/35 aprox .stateside and $55 from BROU = $90

Just today I noticed that I received a wire transfer from the EU to the US (Schwab), and there are 78 USD missing.
I am calling the International Wire Dept. on Monday to ask for explanation, since the money was sent to Schwab's account with Citi Germany, and inter-EU transfers (SEPA) are free.
I think 78 USD is a hefty fee, and it is quite misleading to advertise as free something that cost that much.

Back