What Have You Brought And Sold For The Best Profit Margin?

allcraz

Registered
Other than iPhones and an extra laptop or two, I'd like to hear about specific items you've brought back that have sold for a significant profit (if you wouldn't mind sharing).

Since the bottom has dropped out of the iphone market, I have been doing some market research on the best alternative options and I've come up with a plan.

I have leased a small kiosko in belgrano, that just so happens to be in front of the building where our very own GS_Dirtboy lives and on my last trip to the US I managed to snag this beauty for a song.

mhvupe.jpg

I'm working on getting it hooked up to the Monedero system as we speak.

Holy sh*t! Really? LOL

High-end motorcycle gear. High-end inline skate gear. Benjamins.

Took a bath for my MacBook and got 700$ for it. Paid 920$ (Got the extended warranty) for my iPhone and will lose cash on it if someone buys it as I've listed it for less on Craigslist and al willing to take less than the CL ad from BAExpats because I like you guys.

So for me, net loss

I reckon % wise the markup on whiskey would be good. Prices are nuts here with the import taxes.

That said, it'd never make beyond my grasp as I like to keep a few decent bottles around for those cold winter months. I'll be bringing 2 or 3 bottles back this winter in and around the 70 (official 560pesos ish) dollar mark which would typically would see listed here not for sale or their not as good quality equivalents in and around the 1 to 2k peso region. Depends on taste, I think the locals would go for them as smooth blends (johnnie walker black, chivas blends) sell well here, Irish single pot stills are smoother than their scottish cousins. Jamesons (fairly average stuff) seem to be on a promotional drive in the region although only selling their bottom of the range stuff, the odler jamesons are decent so i suppose you could move those on off the back of the name the cheap stuff seems to be gathering.

Basically - private jet, small landing strip and clandestine route into recoleta and I'd soon shift off a few bottles of good whiskey at even better prices but for the fact that they'd all be diverted to my own collection.

Believe it or not, you can make quite a bit of money on clothes. Clothes here are incredibly expensive, and if you buy some brand like Tomy Hilfiger at an outlet with some sales, you can sell them off piece y piece in Mercadolibre at double or triple the price. The quality of clothing in Argentina is so bad that people are willing to pay premium prices for something that will last more than a few wears. Another strategy is to go to Ross (or similar) and buy the discount rack stuff that is name brand for sometimes cents and then sell it here at ten times the price. Baby clothes here strangely cost MORE than adult clothes, so if you go to the discount racks at Ross, Carters, OshKosh, etc. then you can find items for 3$ $4 $5 dollars which you can then sell here for 30. I think once I made 800 dollars off of a quarter suitcase of baby clothing.

Back