Brutally Beaten in Recoleta

People, people, people. This guy was beaten in the street. It isn't his fault, he didn't say or do anything wrong, his skirt wasn't too short, he didn't ask for it. He wasn't trashing BsAs. He was just noting that he felt safe and he shouldn't have. Living in a big city is inherently dangerous in tough times. Poverty is THE factor as to whether or not there is crime and there is poverty here. He's just giving a heads up, don't feel too safe at 3am in any neighborhood. If you haven't been robbed, yay, no reason not to be safe/safer/safest...

HotYogaTeacher said:
People, people, people. This guy was beaten in the street. It isn't his fault, he didn't say or do anything wrong, his skirt wasn't too short, he didn't ask for it. He wasn't trashing BsAs. He was just noting that he felt safe and he shouldn't have. Living in a big city is inherently dangerous in tough times. Poverty is THE factor as to whether or not there is crime and there is poverty here. He's just giving a heads up, don't feel too safe at 3am in any neighborhood. If you haven't been robbed, yay, no reason not to be safe/safer/safest...

Please keep in mind that this happened at three AM, and within a block or two of the "tenderloin" district of Recoleta. Matt was undoubtedly in the wrong place at the wrong time, and by his own admission, erred when he didn't have the cab take him directly to his front door.

We can all learn form this.

PS: I have been incredibly poor (broke and homeless) in my adult life, but I never resorted to crime...not even shoplifting a sandwich. I am just one among many millions in that category.

To say that poverty cause crime isn't accurate.

Crime in the US during the depression did not skyrocket..or increase significantly.

It's a question of values, usually instilled by the family.

People, people, people. This guy was beaten in the street. It isn't his fault, he didn't say or do anything wrong, his skirt wasn't too short, he didn't ask for it. He wasn't trashing BsAs.

Who implied any of these things?

We can all learn form this.

PS: I have been incredibly poor (broke and homeless) in my adult life, but I never resorted to crime...not even shoplifting a sandwich. I am just one among many millions in that category.

Crime in the US during the depression did not skyrocket..or increase significantly.

It's a question of values, usually instilled by the family.[/QUOTE]

AMEN TO THAT, AMEN

AdrianaY said:
Hot yoga teacher talks about values as she is a social commentator on the world and especially Argentina. I suppose that she does not see anything wrong in her own behaviour. She sees nothing wrong in seliing products and services at double the normal rates as a priveleged foreigner . They are sin verguenza

To be fair, perhaps HYT's opinions of BA should be evaluated in her own words:

Expats not happy, why stay?

cosaco said:

Not all poor people commit crime but those who do are almost all poor. Of course there are exceptions, like financial crime etc.
But one only have to look at the slums of the United States to see that there is a strong correlation between poverty and crime.

steveinbsas said:
To be fair, perhaps HYT's opinions of BA should be evaluated in her own words:

Expats not happy, why stay?

You see where it says "permalink" just above every post? That's a direct link to each post.

AdrianaY said:
She sees nothing wrong in seliing products and services at double the normal rates as a priveleged foreigner . They are sin verguenza

What's wrong with that? If people want her overpriced services it's their choice right?

orwellian said:
But one only have to look at the slums of the United States to see that there is a strong correlation between poverty and crime.
One only has to look at what slums?

Crime in the inner cities of the USA isn't the result of poverty. It's the result of the destruction of the family, thanks to the "Great Society" (social programs of the past 45 years), which reward and perpetuate poverty.

orwellian said:
yes stevelanguagefascist, that's right

Nice try. You are so anti intellectual (at times) you are barely worth consideration.

I'm sorry the panty laundering thread was deleted.

You were scoring some great points there.

(and your English was perfect!)

Equating good English with facism isn't a very good counterpoint, is it?

Back