BsAs Cost of Living

Cumulative Inflation in Bs.As. is 100 % from Dec 2015 to date...!!!!

So if you have a fixed income your buying power is half of what you had in 2015..o_O

Cumulative Inflation in Bs.As. is 100 % from Dec 2015 to date...!!!!

So if you have a fixed income your buying power is half of what you had in 2015..o_O

Of course, if you have your income as expressed - in USD - then your purchasing power is not 1/2 of what it was in 2015 when the exchange rate was 10 pesos for a USD. See https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=ARS&view=5Y . Inflation of 25-30% / yr would mean your purchasing power is only a bit less than what it was in 2015.

Of course, if you have your income as expressed - in USD - then your purchasing power is not 1/2 of what it was in 2015 when the exchange rate was 10 pesos for a USD. See https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=ARS&view=5Y . Inflation of 25-30% / yr would mean your purchasing power is only a bit less than what it was in 2015.

For those that earn dollars their loss in buying power was 15 % for the fixed peso earners was 50 % . The dollar went up 85 % in that period.

Im sorry but the blue rate was 15 pesos per dollar in 2015 which all foreigners had access to . Foreigners buying power in US dollars since this time has been diminished by 50% .

Im sorry but the blue rate was 15 pesos per dollar in 2015 which all foreigners had access to . Foreigners buying power in US dollars since this time has been diminished by 50% .

If you examine the chart showing the conversion rate, it shows that the USD exchange rate was less than 10 pesos for almost all of 2015. At the end of 2015 (last 3 months) it jumped significantly, but it didn't hit 15 until 2016. See https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=ARS&view=5Y

Bottom line... buying power of the USD may have diminished since 2015, but it has not declined 50 %. The exchange rate for the US has more than doubled since mid 2015 (when it was 10 for most of year). Total inflation since mid 2015 may be slightly more than 100%, but not that much more than 100% whereas the USD has increased 150% since mid 2015.

You are looking at the official rate . The blue rate was 16 pesos per dollar in 2015 which all foreigners accessed via their cuevas . Prices in US dollars have increased in Buenos Aires since 2015 by 50% for most items . This is a fact . A rental for a two bedroom apartment in Palermo in 2015 was US$ 250 long term . Now its US$ 500 on average . Condo fees, water , gas , electricity have increased over 50 percent in US dollars since this time . The inflation rate has been much higher than the devaluation rate of the peso and for this reason we are all paying 50% more in us dollars for most items since 2015. The devaluation since 2015 of the peso has been less than 60% comparing the blue rate of the time to now . Many items have gone up over 200% since that time including Agua: 375%. Gas: hasta 300%. Transporte: 100%. Having US dollars helps a bit but still loses to inflation as peoples cost of living in US dollars is at least 50% more in 2018 than 2015 .

Last edited:
In reply to this:

...I have a small studio apt, so I wouldn’t be paying rent...

On the brink posted this:

Don't forget "expensas", which should be around $150 for a small apartment

Of course Spyfly731 knows how much the expenses are for the apartment, but I wonder how close $150 USD is to the actual monthly cost.

I was paying over $200 USD in mid 2009 for a 68 mtr2 apartment in Recoleta (Arenales 2078). The building had an elevator and a portera (who was only seen in the early morining), but it was a far cry from being considered luxurious. I imagine the expenses are at least $400 USD per month now. They could be even higher.

Any thoughts?...Perry?

In reply to this:

On the brink posted this:

Of course Spyfly731 knows how much the expenses are for the apartment, but I wonder how close $150 USD is to the actual monthly cost.

I was paying over $200 USD in mid 2009 for a 68 mtr2 apartment in Recoleta (Arenales 2078). The building had an elevator and a portera (who was only seen in the early morining), but it was a far cry from being considered luxurious. I imagine the expenses are at least $400 USD per month now. They could be even higher.

Any thoughts?...Perry?
Yes most peoples expenses for a modest three ambientes in Barrio Norte are around US $ 300 without amenities and US $ 450 with amenities. Larger whole floor apartments are normally minimum U$ 500 to US 1.200 per month depending the metraje

Last edited:
Back