BsAs Safety

Iznogud said:
Most people are unfortunately closer to the actual facts than to whatever ideas you think they get by media exposure.

Police statistics are determined beforehand, you should know that. Manipulated at will.
Also, since reporting most crimes is a waste of time, a personal risk and hardly ever has positive results, one is left wondering what are existing stats good for? Unless they contribute to that perception you mentioned.

One should care less about how safe is the other side of the fence, we know the grass always looks greener. What is terrible is how unsafe is here and how the authorities work hard at ignoring the problem.

Well that why I only put the murder rate statistic, because is the only crime rate that can be measured with almost 100% accuracy not even Chaves can hide his murder statistics, and that why I told that I don't know about the other crimes more than what I had see my self since I arrive to this city. In the rest I agree with you, I was just trying to put the crime in perspective for the guy that was to scared to come to ba for 3 week, well if that is not exaggeration not sure what it is. There are plenty of safest place in the country and in the world for sure but common be scared to come for 3 week that is just stupid. Anyway I suppose comment that see a diferent city are not welcomed here so I just stop commenting, good luck with your one side discussions.

But Lamarque I think most people would agree here (although I dont want to speak for them), that Argentina is one of the safer countries in Latin America. But, it has some pretty lousy competition. Anyway, at a world level, Latin America is very unsafe and so is Argentina.

I am not sure if you meant to compare Argentina to USA (perhaps when you said America you were meaning to say Latin America) in terms of safety, perhaps you could clear that one up?

trennod said:
But Lamarque I think most people would agree here (although I dont want to speak for them), that Argentina is one of the safer countries in Latin America. But, it has some pretty lousy competition. Anyway, at a world level, Latin America is very unsafe and so is Argentina.

I am not sure if you meant to compare Argentina to USA (perhaps when you said America you were meaning to say Latin America) in terms of safety, perhaps you could clear that one up?

I think USA is safer overall than here. I was saying that the country in the region we are talking about ''Latam'', that is the region the guy that open this tread is visiting is one of the safest bets, that doesn’t mean that when you compare the country to europe is not that safe anymore, but c'mon we are talking of Latam, And still if this guy is thinking about not visiting Buenos Aires for 3 weeks because of what he has read in this forum i will think that this forum is misleading people by over exaggerated statement of some users in this forum ''not all'', how you think this guy get to the conclusion that was to unsafe to make a 3 weeks visit to the city?.
Then i originally arrive to this city i feel that people was to paranoid about security (that has always been that way in this city, now a days is a little worst but people has always be this way in this city), and they make me feel that way for a time, then i start to know people and go out more and move around, years happen with my family calling me and always asking the same question ''are you all right'', then i start to make understand my family that is a big city not because they read in a newspaper that something wrong has happen will affect me, when they started to visit me for long period of time they didn't worry anymore. This not only apply for me as my group of friends come almost all from other places to and think exactly the same, (the mayority of the expats i know that are not in this community or that don't enter all the time here are not so paranoid, when one get here not sure why, start to see bad thinks every where lol :) ).
We know that something wrong can happen but the most probable think that will happen is pick pocketing if we are not careful even a smuggler, not yet for good luck, the odds for something worst than that happening to one are very low unless you live in a very shitty neighborhood, if i search in all the people i know not only my friends yes i know some guys that has been robbed in a late night walking thought a bad street, anyway that is normal, i hate when i write and then loose my point, sorry about that, thinks are not so terrible in this city as the sensation of insecurity will make people believe or how paranoid are ‘’porteños’’ at least if you live in a descent place.

People are not unnecesary or unwittingly paranoid. There's a reason, there are too many reasons. We do not worry for lack of better things to do. And it's always better safe than sorry, isn't it?
We are aware that we're unprotected by the institutions, crime runs unchecked and prowls on everyone, everywhere.

Foreign speaking/looking folks are prime targets for good reasons. They might carry better loot (electronics, cameras, cash) since it's not even safe to leave them behind at most hotels/hostels or simply because they're on the move. This fact you better not forget when you're on the streets, standing too long on a corner and decide it's a Kodak moment, time to deploy a city map or smartphone.

Falling victim to a pickpocket is also a traumatizing experience. Just because you were not physically harmed does not mean you are not psychologically wounded.

The guy who started this thread came and went in May, he spent 3 days here. Not 3 weeks. Such a short visit is hardly cause for alarm or concern unless you go looking for love in the wrong places.
Then the thread subject moved to other horizons. I don't care if Ulan Bator is particularly safe at this time of the year because I buy my groceries across the street and have to walk a few blocks for coffee and pastries.

I'll say it once again. Better safe than sorry.

A word of advise, make a duplicate Sim to save your important contacts in case your iPhone is removed from your possession...!

lamarque said:
Well that why I only put the murder rate statistic, because is the only crime rate that can be measured with almost 100% accuracy not even Chaves can hide his murder statistics

I agree with this. It's not really that easy to figure out what's "safer" in general based on statistics for non-violent crime; murder statistics are less likely to be manipulated. Argentina has fewer murders per capita than, for example, the US, with a much larger percentage of the population living in urban centers. In the US, however, demographic profiles make a huge difference; African-Americans make up about 13% of the total population, yet comprise 50% of the murder victims. If anyone knows of similar breakdowns for Argentina (GBA vs. CF for example, as anecdotally people claim outside of CF is the Wild West), you might be able to make sense if it's comparable. For the average tourist visiting a major US city and Buenos Aires, the US would probably feel and be safer.

That said, if safety is your primary concern, retire in Japan, Switzerland, or Oman.

This article about the feeling of insecurity may be relevant:

http://www.argentinaindependent.com/currentaffairs/analysis/fear-and-loathing-in-buenos-aires/

Rich One said:
A word of advise, make a duplicate Sim to save your important contacts in case your iPhone is removed from your possession...!
if you have an iPhone why wouldn't you have your contants backed up to apples icloud

demokritos said:
I agree with this. It's not really that easy to figure out what's "safer" in general based on statistics for non-violent crime; murder statistics are less likely to be manipulated. Argentina has fewer murders per capita than, for example, the US, with a much larger percentage of the population living in urban centers. In the US, however, demographic profiles make a huge difference; African-Americans make up about 13% of the total population, yet comprise 50% of the murder victims. If anyone knows of similar breakdowns for Argentina (GBA vs. CF for example, as anecdotally people claim outside of CF is the Wild West), you might be able to make sense if it's comparable

Some time ago Zaffaroni presented a report from a supreme court investgative unit that showed that the majority of homicides in CF occurred in the southernmost comunas (those that border the Riachuelo) - I think the murder rate per 100,000 inhabitants for those comunas was above 12 and for the rest of CF it was around 3.

pauper said:
Some time ago Zaffaroni presented a report from a supreme court investgative unit that showed that the majority of homicides in CF occurred in the southernmost comunas (those that border the Riachuelo) - I think the murder rate per 100,000 inhabitants for those comunas was above 12 and for the rest of CF it was around 3.

That is not surprising at all

Back