BsAs Safety

Nothing has happen to me or any of my friend for the 8 years I had live here, people tend to exaggerate I have been robbed many times in diferent city's in Europe but that don't make me thing that europeis unsafe, sorry for the few people that comment that has really suffer a bad episode. Don't worry come have a great time and take some precaution is a huge city

I think expats are getting paranoid about safety, here.

Safety is as bad it would be /should be in an 2nd or 3rd world country of South America, Asia or Africa.

lamarque said:
Nothing has happen to me or any of my friend for the 8 years I had live here, people tend to exaggerate...

Ceviche said:
I think expats are getting paranoid about safety, here...

2 men were robbed at gunpoint by 3 motochoros at the table outside our window while I was having lunch with a buddy of mine at an upscale steakhouse in Buenos Aires 2 years ago.

About 18 months ago my wife was in a taxi with her sister, purse looped over her arm. A young thief forced the window down, burned her with a lit cigarette, and grabbed the purse.

This past January our 5500 watt backup generator was inside a locked garage with a motion sensor. The theives broked open the garage door and tricked out the alarm system, off they went with the generator.

Today while grocery shopping with my wife and kids 3 teenagers tried to pick my pocket. I was suspicious when I saw them gazing at me a few seconds before they made their pass so they didn't get anything.

Am I paranoid for being worried about the safety of me and my family while we're down here? That's only a partial list, there are a lot more incidents me, my wife, her family, and our friends have witnessed or suffered over the past few years. its not as dangerous as northern Mexico or parts of Brazil, but Argentina is far worse now than it was 10 years ago.

lamarque said:
Nothing has happen to me or any of my friend for the 8 years I had live here, people tend to exaggerate I have been robbed many times in diferent city's in Europe but that don't make me thing that europeis unsafe, sorry for the few people that comment that has really suffer a bad episode. Don't worry come have a great time and take some precaution is a huge city
I live here since 1990, and nothing happened to me. Just a few things I watched and I even helped to avoid, but nothing directly. The key is easy: don't be a dumb with earphones and always distracted. Pay attention. Nothing else.
There is a sentence from the ancient Eastern culture, which says more or less: a second of distraction, a man dead.

lamarque said:

I know you have said this a few times Larmarque, but I just find it extremely hard to fathom that in 8 years nothing has happened to you OR all of your friends. Does this include family as well? You and your group of friends have been seriously lucky. Who do you think is overplaying things? I think media in every country tend to hype things up a bit.

Overall I would describe crime here like this (think Kurt hits the nail on the head too), Latin America is (with parts of the middle east and Africa) the worst in the world. It is much worse than South East Asia and Europe (southern, eastern). Argentina is not as bad as Central America or Brazil, but worse than Uruguay & Chile. You need to have your wits about you, and there is general belief among the locals its gotten a lot worse.

BASailor said:
I live here since 1990, and nothing happened to me. Just a few things I watched and I even helped to avoid, but nothing directly. The key is easy: don't be a dumb with earphones and always distracted. Pay attention. Nothing else.
There is a sentence from the ancient Eastern culture, which says more or less: a second of distraction, a man dead.

Street sense is obvious, but it wont always save you. 20 years and no incident, I would say the odds are against that but obviously lucky for you.

Ceviche said:

Safety is as bad it would be /should be in an 2nd or 3rd world country of South America, Asia or Africa.

There is no one more security conscious or "paranoid" as you like to put it than Argentines themselves.

Be careful how you group Asia, SE Asia is actually pretty safe, particularly when you compare it with here.

Ahhemm.. said:
Hi there. I am from Florida, USA. At the moment I am in Argentina on a 3-month-long trip to explore different places to return to during my retirement. On May 18 we will pass through Buenos Aires again for 3 days. Another group I belong to is having and asado (in a large part to meet the Americans) and I was excited to return until I read this thread on Lonelyplanet:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2200042

Now I just want to get in and out of there as quickly as possible. As residents of BsAs I am sure you can put this issue in more informed perspective.

Thanks,
Ahhemm..

The stories must be all true remember what happened to Coppola's office that was ransacked with all his videos etc, also the Bush girls were mugged in San Telmo. Lonely Planet reports only minor thefts to tourists no mention of retirees being beaten to pulp and murdered. Car thefts at gunpoint with hostage and shooting scenarios....!! :(

Ceviche said:

People have long ago resorted to live behind closed doors and bars here. That's a strong hint, isn't it?
Now, even those measures are proven time and again not to be dissuasive enough. Violence is becoming the rule instead of the exception. Nothing shows this progression to be either slowing down or reversing, on the contrary.

In another previous comment, I suggested role playing.
Instead of thinking in terms of how to prevent becoming another victim, plan instead how would you commit the crime. That will give you enough clues on what is wrong with your daily practices.

Turn your situational awareness ON.
The Bush sisters were pickpocketed, as far as I know.

Back