BsAs Safety

Lamarque/Ceviche you could be correct about people exaggerating and being paranoid about safety, after nearly 4 year's I may be one of the guilty one's.
-neighbour stabbed in the chest with a steel pointy thing, he's ok.
-other neighbour's house entered by 8 men, no one hurt.
-my wife's cousin had a knife pressed against her back, bag taken.
-every fence cut in attempt (number 1) to take our livestock.
-another neighbour had shot's fired through their window's, just day's after
they disturbed attempt (number 2) to take our livestock.
-My wife's Auntie had her house broken into, no one hurt.
-guy across the road was shot in the leg while the content's of his house were being put into his car and stolen. He limp's.
-friend's experienced a home invasion, had gun's held to their head's. No one physically hurt.
-neighbour's wife shot in the head, DEAD.
Will not continue my list as it make's me to sad.
This could just be an exaggeration or a case of being paranoid? ? ?
I have told nothing but the truth, so that make's me like a priest. RIGHT!

trennod said:
I know you have said this a few times Larmarque, but I just find it extremely hard to fathom that in 8 years nothing has happened to you OR all of your friends. Does this include family as well? You and your group of friends have been seriously lucky. Who do you think is overplaying things? I think media in every country tend to hype things up a bit.

Overall I would describe crime here like this (think Kurt hits the nail on the head too), Latin America is (with parts of the middle east and Africa) the worst in the world. It is much worse than South East Asia and Europe (southern, eastern). Argentina is not as bad as Central America or Brazil, but worse than Uruguay & Chile. You need to have your wits about you, and there is general belief among the locals its gotten a lot worse.

Well if you find difficult 8 years how you find the 20 years of the other guy, yes that include my family but they are currently living in Patagonia so I will not include them as Patagonia is much safer than here and is not a good comparation, Agree, Argentina was safer before, agree America is much dangerous than Argentina, and Agree chile and uruguay are safer than here now, agree you have to be careful, agree locals think that is getting worse specially the ones that read clarin my self included (I put this to be objective), still is not to panic, i go to the street without fear even at night, i know i may have to be more aware now a days but i'm a townie guy that is just not used to pay that much attention and i'm willing to lose my iPhone if some time someone came to steal me, is a price i would pay gladly before been paranoid all the time for the future possibility that someone try to steal me, when that happen i will give what i have and continue with my life, you cannot be freaking out all your life because it may happen something bad to you in the future, as for getting killed there is the same change to be shot to death in Argentina than back in America per 100.000 hab, off course you will be safer of getting yourself killed in Europe but is not to get paranoid yet, is still around 16 times less probable to get yourself shot here than in honduras and 6 times than in brazil, that been said i think insecurity is rising not sure how quickly and not sure if it is a feeling for reading the newspaper I read or if it is real I would think that is real for what I had read, but still really long way to reach even the numbers of brazil not to even talk of Central America. Anyway I manly agree with what you tell me Trennord and I totally hate this kretina government and they measures to give criminals all the immunity.

Happy Camper said:
Lamarque/Ceviche you could be correct about people exaggerating and being paranoid about safety, after nearly 4 year's I may be one of the guilty one's.
-neighbour stabbed in the chest with a steel pointy thing, he's ok.
-other neighbour's house entered by 8 men, no one hurt.
-my wife's cousin had a knife pressed against her back, bag taken.
-every fence cut in attempt (number 1) to take our livestock.
-another neighbour had shot's fired through their window's, just day's after
they disturbed attempt (number 2) to take our livestock.
-My wife's Auntie had her house broken into, no one hurt.
-guy across the road was shot in the leg while the content's of his house were being put into his car and stolen. He limp's.
-friend's experienced a home invasion, had gun's held to their head's. No one physically hurt.
-neighbour's wife shot in the head, DEAD.
Will not continue my list as it make's me to sad.
This could just be an exaggeration or a case of being paranoid? ? ?
I have told nothing but the truth, so that make's me like a priest. RIGHT!

Wow if all this is true really man i'm sorry for you, not sure where you live but serious advice move away from that neighborhood asap, even if you prefer go away from Buenos Aires Patagonia will suit you perfectly or Mendoza or almost any place, apparently for some people bad things do happen is just not my case or anyone i know but hope you the best of the luck really mean it.

lamarque said:
America is much dangerous than Argentina, as for getting killed there is the same change to be shot to death in Argentina than back in America per 100.000 hab, off cour[/FONT][/COLOR]

This is very misleading. There are very few areas in the USA where people live with bars on their windows, but most of the people who are shot to death live in areas where most people live behind bars...but get shot sitting on the porch.

PS: Why not use the spell check before you post?

lamarque said:
Well if you find difficult 8 years how you find the 20 years of the other guy, yes that include my family but they are currently living in Patagonia so I will not include them as Patagonia is much safer than here and is not a good comparation, Agree, Argentina was safer before, agree America is much dangerous than Argentina, and Agree chile and uruguay are safer than here now, agree you have to be careful, agree locals think that is getting worse specially the ones that read clarin my self included (I put this to be objective), still is not to panic, i go to the street without fear even at night, i know i may have to be more aware now a days but i'm a townie guy that is just not used to pay that much attention and i'm willing to lose my iPhone if some time someone came to steal me, is a price i would pay gladly before been paranoid all the time for the future possibility that someone try to steal me, when that happen i will give what i have and continue with my life, you cannot be freaking out all your life because it may happen something bad to you in the future, as for getting killed there is the same change to be shot to death in Argentina than back in America per 100.000 hab, off course you will be safer of getting yourself killed in Europe but is not to get paranoid yet, is still around 16 times less probable to get yourself shot here than in honduras and 6 times than in brazil, that been said i think insecurity is rising not sure how quickly and not sure if it is a feeling for reading the newspaper I read or if it is real I would think that is real for what I had read, but still really long way to reach even the numbers of brazil not to even talk of Central America. Anyway I manly agree with what you tell me Trennord and I totally hate this kretina government and they measures to give criminals all the immunity.

Congratulations. This is the longest "run on" sentence in BAexpat history!

steveinbsas said:
Congratulations. This is the longest "run on" sentence in BAexpat history!
Meaning?? sorry for my english is that what you want me to say? if you want this forum to be for only native english speakers just put it on the rules and don't annoy people for spelling mistakes.

lamarque said:
Meaning?? sorry for my english is that what you want me to say? if you want this forum to be for only native english speakers just put it on the rules and don't annoy people for spelling mistakes.

Spelling isn't really the issue. Your opinions are not supported by facts...unless they are taken out of context.

Most people in the USA do not live in fear like they do in Argentina...of being any type of victim of crime...including being shot.

The major exception in the US is those who are living in the inner city and also happen to be black...and there aren't many Argentines who fit that description in Argentina.

And again, why not use the spell check feature before you post?

steveinbsas said:
Spelling isn't really the issue. Your opinions are not supported by facts...unless they are taken out of context.

Most people in the USA do not live in fear like they do in Argentina...of being any type of victim of crime...including being shot.

The major exception in the US is those who are living in the inner city and also happen to be black...and there aren't many Argentines who fit that description in Argentina.

And again, why not use the spell check feature before you post?

I actually use it not sure what happen there, and about the other not sure what you mean by facts, i just use a statistic, I’m sure that there are other crimes rates that are worst here i just told you of the murder rate that was the only accurate index i could find about this worldwide, the feeling of crime is something different i can tell you that here people is more afraid of crime than people in honduras, is that meaning that here is more unsafe? not at all there is a huge difference, how people feel is not related to how the security is, is actually more related to what is show in the media and how people ponderate it again other problems.

Most people are unfortunately closer to the actual facts than to whatever ideas you think they get by media exposure.

Police statistics are determined beforehand, you should know that. Manipulated at will.
Also, since reporting most crimes is a waste of time, a personal risk and hardly ever has positive results, one is left wondering what are existing stats good for? Unless they contribute to that perception you mentioned.

One should care less about how safe is the other side of the fence, we know the grass always looks greener. What is terrible is how unsafe is here and how the authorities work hard at ignoring the problem.

Back