Buenos Aires crime rate

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the above posters the question is where are the staistics that show that Buenos Aires is more violent than United States or most cities of comparable size.

Argentina may have a low murder rate but they have a much higher death rate from automobile accidents.I guess it all balances out in the end.

Stan,
On this subject, You are right, we have one of the highest statistics of deaths on the road
Various factors lead to this:
1) Reckless driving, drivers will overpass others in very narrow routes regardless of how near/far the cars/buses on the opposite lane are.Or even in curves. Or driving beyond speed limits even when the weather advises the opposite. The Ezeiza accident some days ago is a good example of Argentineans disrespect for laws/lives, one shouldn't be driving that fast in foggy conditions. And Ezeiza is well known for its fog, so it should have come as no surprise.
2) Condition of routes. Ruta 7 (which accounts for a good deal of argentine agriculture transportation with one truck after another) is a good example it should be widened, in some stretches it even has no "banquina". We have one of the most expensive tolls (thanks to the privatizations) and yet the routes are far from safe.
3) Condition of cars, many of them should be banned from circulating. No proper lighting, brakes etc
This combination is many cases fatal. You should be always on alert when driving in Argentina. One can be driving safe but you never know what to expect about the others.

Fully agree with Stan and Bf4 in regards to our road toll which is disgraceful and needs to be seriously adressed.
I beleive that our government should do everything in its power to enforce speed limits alchohol intake and seatbelt usage which is one of the lowest in the world.
The statistics here for that are a national shame

"pericles" said:
To the above posters the question is where are the staistics that show that Buenos Aires is more violent than United States or most cities of comparable size.

I was about to ask a very similar question... Where are the statistics that show the US is more violent than Argentina???
Also, I’d like to see the statistics regarding crime against elders, which you said is low here in comparison to other countries.

"bf4" said:
Stan,
On this subject, You are right, we have one of the highest statistics of deaths on the road
Various factors lead to this:
1) Reckless driving, drivers will overpass others in very narrow routes regardless of how near/far the cars/buses on the opposite lane are.Or even in curves. Or driving beyond speed limits even when the weather advises the opposite. The Ezeiza accident some days ago is a good example of Argentineans disrespect for laws/lives, one shouldn't be driving that fast in foggy conditions. And Ezeiza is well known for its fog, so it should have come as no surprise.
2) Condition of routes. Ruta 7 (which accounts for a good deal of argentine agriculture transportation with one truck after another) is a good example it should be widened, in some stretches it even has no "banquina". We have one of the most expensive tolls (thanks to the privatizations) and yet the routes are far from safe.
3) Condition of cars, many of them should be banned from circulating. No proper lighting, brakes etc
This combination is many cases fatal. You should be always on alert when driving in Argentina. One can be driving safe but you never know what to expect about the others.
4) Absence of an driving exam.
Best way forward is getting rid of moron Kirchner and promoto de la Soto as president and Juez as vice president.

Argentina vs USA in crime. Hmmm...Argentina-more theft and petty robbery type of crimes, alot more. In general.
USA-less of the above but more violent than in Argentina, alot more violent. In general.

The title of this post is Buenos Aires crime rate. To compare it to the U.S., Europe, ...etc is not the point. What I have noticed is that I have been here for more than a year now. In that time I have personally witnessed 3 petty thefts and had two close friends mugged (one in supposedly "protected" Palermo Viejo and one in a cab leaving the Microcentro. One of these muggings involved a gun and in the other my friend was stabbed and had to receive medical attention) but I have been lucky that nothing has happened to me. So many foreigners come here and stay for a few weeks and talk about how safe it is. Safe is always relative. If you are not aware that there are DEFINATELY places in the city which are not safe and that if you are out and about a lot you are assuming some level of risk then you are a fool in my opinion.

"Ask a cab driver if they are robbed one time"I know a cab driver. What's he tell me? Two guns to the back of his head in the last 4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back