Buenos Aires Food Week

Food week was a total scam IMHO. It was just a marketing play for restos to get short term visitors at inflated prices. Kinda like Groupon, but instead of cheaper prices it was more expensive.

Cheers to Sorrel for reporting the truth.

The reality is that some restaurants here think they are smarter than their customers. i now stay clear of special offers outside of the la nacion card discounts, because too many times the discount meal on offer is well below the restauran's normal standard. Customers aren't always afforded the respect they should be when it comes to discounts and attempts to win repeat business. Sometimes it feels like they are trying to make margin on the discount rather than being fwd thinking enough to take a small loss or break even in the hope that you might attract new repeat customers. Sadly when I saw food week I made a conscious decision to avoid the overcrowding and the opportunity for restaranteurs to lower their standards and treat this like a one off profit making venture rather than PR for more long term profit making (i.e repeat business based on food quality).

This!

Its the same with things like Groupons etc, they are meant to be there to advertise their products to new customers. All to many restaurants use it to serve tiny sub standard meals that just make me not want to ever go back to them.

Its so short sighted of them!

Worst coupon/groupon thing we went to was
El Histórico

Mexico 524, San Telmo.

The meal was supposed to be for 2 but appeared to be 1 meal split into two!

Looking around at the other customers, they all got what looked like nicely cooked food with stupidly generous helpings.

We got 2 tiny mozzarella millanesas in a tasteless tomato sauce to share, a tiny portion of over cooked rubbery lenguado (it appeared to be a fillet butchered badly and split between two plates) with some rocket lettuce and a tiny bit of cheese grated over it and for desert 1 overly flambéed (burnt) pancake with dulce de leche to share. The coupon cost more than most places and didn't include drinks.

Whilst the wait staff were pleasant enough when serving us and its not their fault the food was shit, they never bothered to bring us bread and it was impossible to get their attention when we wanted to pay for our drinks and fuck off out of there!

We'll never be back and i doubt many of our friends will bother going after we told them how shitty the experience was. Its a shame because the actual restaurant appeared to be quite nice and clean (apart from the bizarre large flatscreen tv showing a cooking channel!)

Compared to other groupons, El Salto de las Ranas, (mexican place Rodriguez Pena 1169) where the food was nice and they even provided me with some hot sauce when i was told the dishes on offer were not spicy and Vrindavan (indian place Humboldt 1721) where we got the same meal non coupon people got which was a decent curry!

Yeah, we had a less than inspirational groupon exp in a patagonian place in Puerto Madero....tiny portions, limited choices, rotten service...all this at odds with the service offered to people in tables surrounding us. Result, don't use groupon anymore for restaurants and wouldn't return there for all the curry in Dehli.

Yeah, we had a less than inspirational groupon exp in a patagonian place in Puerto Madero....tiny portions, limited choices, rotten service...all this at odds with the service offered to people in tables surrounding us. Result, don't use groupon anymore for restaurants and wouldn't return there for all the curry in Dehli.
name and shame so i can avoid it.

Sabores de patagonia, with the caveat that all the other food which we saw whistling past our noses looked really good. I was doubly disappointed as i really like Lamb and it isn't easy to find well cooked in BA.

The worst of it was that it was the last day of the groupon deal, they told us they had no table available. We didn't believe them and got our friends to call, confirm the reservation and then tell them it was a groupon deal and we were coming with vouchers. They couldn't back out once they had confirmed availability.

Of course, it was half empty when we arrived. Lesson, always book first then confirm you have a deal after.

That is classic...I had a bad Groupon meal at the same place Sabores de Patagonia..... the service was good which is nice for a change......but just small portions add ons just wasnt worth the groupon pricing... I think I ended up paying more with groupon..than if I had just gone in on a special they just have everyday..... I know there are some nice restaurants in puerto madero... but i seem to have bad luck down there.....

my god, i have so many horror stories from groupon and lets bonus!!! i remember buying a massage (head neck back and feet it said), i was so excited, because i was in need of a back massage. I get there, and the girl tells me to go behind the curtain....dont get excited guys....it doesn't end how you think! hahaha!
I go behind the curtain and start to undress, and she says: you can leave all your clothes on, and sit on this chair, massage ends up being this lazy boy style chair., the fair is lifting be up, getting stuck at time, i had to call in the lady for her to fix it a couple times, killing my back, and finally when i was done, she says; now for the head massage. but this helmut looking thing on my hair that starts vibrating, and puts my feet in a pedicure looking containor that vibrates as well! noooo joke!
i couldn't believe it, but had to laugh!!!!!!

Tegui Restaurant in Palermo among the top 10 in LATAM , 19 other B.A, restos among the top 50....!! The list below with the ranking

0010115271.jpg

http://www.infobae.com/2013/09/06/1506952-cuales-son-los-15-restaurantes-argentina-que-estan-el-ranking-los-mejores-america-latina

Tegui (Costa Rica 5852)

17° La Cabrera (Cabrera 5127)

18° Tomo 1 (Carlos Pellegrini 521)

27° Oviedo (Beruti 2602)

28° Chila (Av Alicia Moreau de Justo 1160)

29° Sucre (Mariscal Antonio José de Sucre 676)

31° Aramburu (Salta 1050)

33 Pura Tierra (3 de Febrero 1167)

37° Francis Mallmann 1884 (Belgrano 1188 Godoy Cruz, Mendoza)

39° El Baqueano (Chile 495)

40° Unik (Soler 5132)

44° Paraje Arévalo (Arévalo 1502)

45° Casa Umare (Billinghurst 362)

49° Hernán Gipponi (Soler 5862 - Hotel Fierro)

50° Elena (Posadas 1086/88 - Four Seasons Hotel)

my god, i have so many horror stories from groupon and lets bonus!!! i remember buying a massage (head neck back and feet it said), i was so excited, because i was in need of a back massage. I get there, and the girl tells me to go behind the curtain....dont get excited guys....it doesn't end how you think! hahaha!
I go behind the curtain and start to undress, and she says: you can leave all your clothes on, and sit on this chair, massage ends up being this lazy boy style chair., the fair is lifting be up, getting stuck at time, i had to call in the lady for her to fix it a couple times, killing my back, and finally when i was done, she says; now for the head massage. but this helmut looking thing on my hair that starts vibrating, and puts my feet in a pedicure looking containor that vibrates as well! noooo joke!
i couldn't believe it, but had to laugh!!!!!!

Let me guess... Belgrano del Sol Spa??

Back