Buenos Aires is Beautiful

Some great posts here.

This is a grubby city, no denying it. I guess if you're not here entirely by choice the ugly side of the city must get overwhelming. Still, when assessing the cleanliness of recoleta pavements, its worth bearing in mind that in parts of the city people live in slums. Kids go to school hungry and people in other parts of the country are starving to death.

I expect the city to be dirty. Why wouldn't it be? This is a overcrowded metropolis in a developing country, with inner city slums and people poor enough to have to earn a livelihood picking through the trash of the more fortunate.

Every city has its ugly side. Go looking for signs of neglect and poverty and you'll find be sure to fine them. But not every city has the charm, beauty and personality BA does.

malbec said:
Name any city in the World and there will always 1000 things to complain about. What it's good for you it my be bad for your neighbour.

But what it's kind of annoying is that a post intended to praise one of the nice aspects of BA is 'misused' to whinge and complain about the bad things.

Why not start another thread to complain about the rubbish on the streets?

So if I start a thread to complain about the trash on the streets, do you think that it would be unfair if the people with rose-colored galsses came in and started talking about what a beautiful city it is?

So if I start a thread to complain about the trash on the streets, do you think that it would be unfair if the people with rose-colored galsses came in and started talking about what a beautiful city it is?

Zapata...si no la gana, la empata!

This argument has been debated before but everyone is entitled to express their opinions but with the proviso that one that does not trash a thread just because he does not agree or does not like the person who started the thread.

I find it laughable that one person in particular has used this forum to create the impression that I started this thread for reasons that were not true. In reality he has been left with egg on his face as many of us believe that Buenos Aires has something special that captivates and captures our spirits.

I moved to Buenos Aires for the simple reason that I loved the city warts and all . I made 7 trips prior to moving here and when I finally decided to move it was a spur of the moment decision created by a turning event in my life. The first years were hard and I did not make one cent here until 2 years after I moved here .

I work very hard over 100 hours a week but I make the time to enjoy the wonders that Buenos Aires can offer and do not spend this time focusing on the negative . There is so much to enjoy here and people will give you the time to enjoy rare elsewhere as we all know.
I understand that Buenos Aires is not perfect nor is it relaxing to do business nor it is it clean or a myriad of other problems but for me its home and that is something I have never felt anywhere else I have lived before.

There is a grubby side to the city, no doubt. I think those who go from their apartment to work, or from their hotel into El Centro in a taxi, will never see the best this city has to offer.
You need to brave the dirty streets and dog crap, and walk. The parks and plazas that can jump out at you from any street corner offer a beauty that will surprise and enchant you. Buildings that date from a golden age cannot be viewed fram a taxi window their beauty starts above first floor level. Cupolas, towers, vaulted cielings, colonial master pieces, can be found everywhere, but they will not find you, you must go out and seek, make the effort and Buenos Aires will reward you a thousand fold.
Those of us who love the city are not blind to it's faults, but it's beauty make up for it all.
On the sidewalk issue, they do belong to the owners, but they are not responsible for the damage. My own sidewalk was dug up by the telephone people, almost before the building was complete. Nice shiny tiles were replaced with poor and very thin concrete. So if you fall outside my building don't blame me (or my builder).

Perhaps some are jealous of the fact that Pericles has found happiness and success in Buenos Aires, in spite of it's flaws.

I moved to Nunez after living in Palermo and Recoleta precisely because I couldn't tolerate the noise and pollution there.

The sidewalks in my block in Nunez are in great repair and the porteros keep them as clean as any you will find in Recoleta. I pick up after my dogs and many others here do, too.

I do not sell real estate, but I have bought two apartments in the past three years. It was Pericles who sold the first one, making it possible for me to buy the second (where I am much happier).

Life is beautiful in BA, at least for some of us.

This thread is about Buenos Aires and as much as a hateful person is trying to change this it will stay on topic and no more discussions about me or my business .

Its Christmas . Enjoy the day and have a coffee in a cafe with friends or have a mate in one of the great parks that fringe the City .

pericles said:
I work very hard over 100 hours a week but I make the time to enjoy the wonders that Buenos Aires can offer.

And time to be proactive on expats forums and events! The man that Never Sleeps found his City that Never Sleeps ;)

Yes, Buenos Aires is beautiful, because there is beauty in decadence. Going from the 3th wealthiest nation to an average third world country in the time of a century, Argentina has a lot to offer to nostalgic souls looking for a shelter against modernity. A dramatic feeling of lost paradise. One can almost live the life their grand parents used to live, or get a flavor of their infancy for retirees. That s a luxury that few countries can offer...wrapping back in time!

I love to see all those old french cars that we can see anymore in France. It feels like time stopped forever here.

And to be even more sincere, there is beauty in poverty too. It s more than just exotism When you dont own, you dont need to play social games, care about your image, you can afford to be true, you have (almost) nothing to loose. You time is not that "precious", you can give it without feeling stolen. It s the privilege of the very poor...and the very rich.

Their ability to stay simple, humble and natural makes them highly beautiful.:)

Back