3. Taskent, Uzbekistan
  4. Tunisia, Tunisia
  5. Almaty, Kazakhstan
  6. Karachi, Pakistan
  7. Ahmedabad, India
  8. Argel, Algeria
  9. Buenos Aires, Argentina
  10. Lusaka, Zambia
What a group to be part of. The Chileans should consider this list as they prepare to vote for their next president.

Have my doubts about the methodology especially if they say Genoa (and not Geneva),CH

1. Damascus, Syria
  2. Tripoli, Libya
  3. Taskent, Uzbekistan
  4. Tunisia, Tunisia
  5. Almaty, Kazakhstan
  6. Karachi, Pakistan
  7. Ahmedabad, India
  8. Argel, Algeria
  9. Buenos Aires, Argentina
  10. Lusaka, Zambia
What a group to be part of. The Chileans should consider this list as they prepare to vote for their next president.

Well, besides Buenos Aires, I spent a week in Tunis/Tunisia early last year (pre-COVID) and it was fine, especially the Carthage neighborhood, a lot nicer than many places in the US and Europe. Coincidentally I was also supposed to visit Tashkent and Almaty, but then, well, the rona had other plans for us.

While some of these are failed states, most are just developing countries, of which Argentina is one and should come as no surprise to us. You better believe I'd rather live here instead of say England, Alabama, Saskatchewan, or wherever bogans come from in Australia. Too many people use "shithole countries" as a synonym for developing countries, when for me you could clearly call swathes of the US and Canada undesirable to live in while also being expensive.

To each their own I suppose.

Well, besides Buenos Aires, I spent a week in Tunis/Tunisia early last year (pre-COVID) and it was fine, especially the Carthage neighborhood, a lot nicer than many places in the US and Europe. Coincidentally I was also supposed to visit Tashkent and Almaty, but then, well, the rona had other plans for us.

While some of these are failed states, most are just developing countries, of which Argentina is one and should come as no surprise to us. You better believe I'd rather live here instead of say England, Alabama, Saskatchewan, or wherever bogans come from in Australia. Too many people use "shithole countries" as a synonym for developing countries, when for me you could clearly call swathes of the US and Canada undesirable to live in while also being expensive.

To each their own I suppose.

Alabama sound very bad. There were 3 white men on trial for shooting a black man when trying to make a citizen’s arrest, not sure if they’re from Alabama or something like that. They got convicted but I think the media attention might have helped with that. Much of the time probably these kinds of things happen and they get let go. The father and son in that case are the types of folks I see all the time here in Texas. They look like they’d kill you for nothing if you’re black, foreigner, etc., and sometimes they actually do. And even if they don’t kill you they live here and you probably have to deal with them, like police, judge, government employee, plumber, cashier, teacher, HOA member, etc. They always seem to give people who are different a hard time and it has real impact on people’s lives here. The 3rd guy they convicted, their friend who was just video taping the event, I get the impression he wasn’t that messed up and probably got a raw deal, but I don’t know the full story. I think lots of people moving to USA or thinking of USA as an awesome place are buying into the hype and don’t understand that in many ways USA is a highly predatory/racist/nationalistic culture compared to some other 1st world countries, and naturally the place is going to be filled with these kinds of people unless you move to the good parts of it which happen to also be more expensive. I don’t know how it’s in other 1st world countries but around where I live there’s always loud muffler sounds, seems like people do some modification to their mufflers on purpose that causes a very loud and annoying sound that you hear in the street or even in can be heard in your home depending on how far away you are from the main street. It’s a very loud sound and travels far. Hopefully when electric cars become more widely used that noise will go away, but I’m afraid the mentality of the people who do that will not. I think doing that muffler modification may actually be illegal, but somehow nothing happens about it. Also, When I moved to USA from Germany as a kid, I noticed that the educational system was lower standard than what I was used to. School suddenly seemed easier, and quickly I started getting better grades. Kids were impressed by my gear, like they hadn’t seen that kind or quality of thing before. Only when I was upgraded to the honor program did school become difficult again. Honestly, I don’t think USA is all that good, unless you can afford the nicer places in it.

England seems like it has very good culture and is one of the most advanced countries in the world. Just the bad weather and expensiveness is what turns me off from it.

I don’t know much about these cities on the least expensive cities list but my impression was they’re probably mostly not good except for Buenos Aries. It’s interesting you say that Tunis was nice. But in retrospect, I saw a television/Youtube program about Gordon Watson, the British Antique dealer, who I believe had a residence there if I recall, and it seemed ok, and he went into an antique shop there that seemed nice. I would be interested to know more about Tunis, though I believe they’re having some kind of constitutional crisis last I checked. Yes, Carthage, that’s what Tunis was originally, one of the most advanced nations in the world at the time if I understand. I haven’t been to Buenos Aries yet, but from the research I’ve done it seems it generally has no business being on that list with 3rd world or developing countries. Interesting that Buenos Aries is even less expensive than Tehran, Iran. I’ve been to Tehran and I believe it doesn’t compare to Buenos Aries. Constant loud noise, pollution, honking, little vegan options, etc. My mom said that one of her friends was buying a home in Tehran, Iran, and was looking at an ordinary 2 bendroom apartment that was $220,000 USD! I was shocked, because that’s about how much my 2 bedroom house in Texas was recently worth, and it was a decent house. Also, I wonder where Turkey is on that list. What’s going on in BA seems to be a weird event that’s impacting prices, may not last much longer, and seems to not correlate to the infrastructure and culture of the place. I’d be interested to see it in person and make a more conclusive determination.

Last edited:
Alabama sound very bad. There were 3 white men on trial for shooting a black man when trying to make a citizen’s arrest, not sure if they’re from Alabama or something like that. They got convicted but I think the media attention might have helped with that. Much of the time probably these kinds of things happen and they get let go. The father and son in that case are the types of folks I see all the time here in Texas. They look like they’d kill you for nothing if you’re black, foreigner, etc., and sometimes they actually do. And even if they don’t kill you they live here and you probably have to deal with them, like police, judge, government employee, plumber, cashier, teacher, HOA member, etc. They always seem to give people who are different a hard time and it has real impact on people’s lives here. The 3rd guy they convicted, their friend who was just video taping the event, I get the impression he wasn’t that messed up and probably got a raw deal, but I don’t know the full story. I think lots of people moving to USA or thinking of USA as an awesome place are buying into the hype and don’t understand that in many ways USA is a highly predatory/racist/nationalistic culture compared to some other 1st world countries, and naturally the place is going to be filled with these kinds of people unless you move to the good parts of it which happen to also be more expensive. I don’t know how it’s in other 1st world countries but around where I live there’s always loud muffler sounds, seems like people do some modification to their mufflers on purpose that causes a very loud and annoying sound that you hear in the street or even in can be heard in your home depending on how far away you are from the main street. It’s a very loud sound and travels far. Hopefully when electric cars become more widely used that noise will go away, but I’m afraid the mentality of the people who do that will not. I think doing that muffler modification may actually be illegal, but somehow nothing happens about it. Also, When I moved to USA from Germany as a kid, I noticed that the educational system was lower standard than what I was used to. School suddenly seemed easier, and quickly I started getting better grades. Kids were impressed by my gear, like they hadn’t seen that kind or quality of thing before. Only when I was upgraded to the honor program did school become difficult again. Honestly, I don’t think USA is all that good, unless you can afford the nicer places in it.

England seems like it has very good culture and is one of the most advanced countries in the world. Just the bad weather and expensiveness is what turns me off from it.

I don’t know much about these cities on the least expensive cities list but my impression was they’re probably mostly not good except for Buenos Aries. It’s interesting you say that Tunis was nice. But in retrospect, I saw a television/Youtube program about Gordon Watson, the British Antique dealer, who I believe had a residence there if I recall, and it seemed ok, and he went into an antique shop there that seemed nice. I would be interested to know more about Tunis, though I believe they’re having some kind of constitutional crisis last I checked. Yes, Carthage, that’s what Tunis was originally, one of the most advanced nations in the world at the time if I understand. I haven’t been to Buenos Aries yet, but from the research I’ve done it seems it generally has no business being on that list with 3rd world or developing countries. Interesting that Buenos Aries is even less expensive than Tehran, Iran. I’ve been to Tehran and I believe it doesn’t compare to Buenos Aries. Constant loud noise, pollution, honking, little vegan options, etc. My mom said that one of her friends was buying a home in Tehran, Iran, and was looking at an ordinary 2 bendroom apartment that was $220,000 USD! I was shocked, because that’s about how much my 2 bedroom house in Texas was recently worth, and it was a decent house. Also, I wonder where Turkey is on that list. What’s going on in BA seems to be a weird event that’s impacting prices, may not last much longer, and seems to not correlate to the infrastructure and culture of the place. I’d be interested to see it in person and make a more conclusive determination.

You don't like loud noises or constantly people yelling and banging stuff and you like vegan options and good education and infrastructure .... You're going to love argentina

You don't like loud noises or constantly people yelling and banging stuff and you like vegan options and good education and infrastructure .... You're going to love argentina

I don’t know about the non-Buenos Aries Argentina, actually some of it doesn’t seem very good. But from what I can tell Buenos Aries seems decent. I’ll see soon hopefully. If it doesn’t work out I can always try another thing, but this Texas, Southern USA type of thing isn’t for me, with some exceptions like Austin, etc. What’s your problem with Argentina, and with Buenos Aries specifically? I understand you’re not a minority in Texas so for you generally Texas probabaly isn’t as bad as it’s for people who are minorities. It’s like having an immunity to the virus, like you think it’s not that bad because for you it actually isn’t. But for me that’s a big consideration here, and honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if with the Trump movement they might do much worse than what it already has been. I see him as the level of Hitler, even though of course he hasn’t been able to do as much yet. And it’s a larger general ideology as well so it’s not just Trump necessarily, and here I’m just talking about the worse case scenario. Even the normal scenario in these parts so far isn’t that great for minorities.

Being "cheap" is never a good thing, not only talks about poor economies and poverty but also of a lot of "VIP" tourism that no one wants to have around.

Back