Buenos Aires is not the Only City in Argentina!

arlean said:
ElQueso, I didn't know you were in Cordoba. Weren't you at the economics meeting a month ago?

Thanks for this info. I have become attached to my neighborhood in BA but I am am here only until I get my citizenship because my lawyer (that I LOVE) says he can't represent me if I leave this province. But when that is done I'll be moving so I especially appreciate your comments about Cordoba. Especially that it's less expensive. I've heard before it was nice but always good to add the less expensive part! ;D

No, no, I should have specified. I've visited Cordoba a number of times (although haven't been there for about two years now). First time was with the guy of the two programmers I employ (the other one being his girlfriend) - we went there to look at the possibilities of opening up shop there and taking advantage of even lower wages and a good technical school there. There was also a technology park beginning to lease space near the airport, that supposedly gave some tax breaks through a government program to tech businesses setting up there. Met his family, looked at houses, offices, etc.

Since then I've been back just to see the sites, although only for a couple of days at a time. I never did make it into the mountains, which I will do one day when I have more time :(

But I live in Buenos Aires, near Plaza San Martin.

And I was supposed to go to the last economics meeting, but I got so tied up with problems on a client installation that I didn't make it - twice running now :(

I can see several advantages, but for those of us that have to do the 3 month renewal trips, it makes it tougher being further in. I wonder how others handle this? I think busing would be tougher, and flying too costly. Guess that's really the only way other than just not doing it at all.

BA is simply the largest concentration of people in Argentina.

I live 20 KM from Bahia Blanca. It is a far more livable city than Buenos Aries in many respects.

The people are indeed much more friendly and live in far less fear than their fellow citizens in CF.

But I am also happy I don't live in Bahia Blanca.

I guess it's also got something to do with what you are used to/where you are from.

coming from another world city then Buenos Aires is the place for me

totally agree with seeing as much of the rest of this huge, diverse, fascinating country and not just the cities and towns to experience

I like the people from Cordoba and the historic core, university etc but not the number one favourite place to re-visit

for me Mendoza is right up there as one of the loveliest smaller cities in the world. The beautiful air and the views of the pre-Andes, the architectural heritage, the irrigation system used to water the beautiful street trees and plazas every night coming via Inca channels from the mountain meltwater, Ruta 40, the fruit, the homesteads, new rapid transit system I havnt seen yet, the romance of the buenos aires pacifico and the transandino and the crossing of the cordilleras, the friendly people - have I forgotten anything?

I've seen many but lots more nice places in Argentina i'm hoping to visit outside the megalopolis of Greater Buenos Aires and great to get away and explore but big cities are in my blood so there I will return!

Napoleon said:
Most expats are tied to Buenos Aires for work, in-laws, love of manifestaciones & graffiti.

Bibgo, I have ties in LaPlata, BA, and Pinamar. More things to do in BA when G-Kids come

Hi Cordobese! I have lived in Cordoba now for over two years and I am quite happy here. The city has it's problems, and I consider it very dirty, but its big enough to not get bored - lots of cultural activities, mountains nearby, diverse dining options, and a young vibrant population. Students come here from all over the country and often stay after they graduate. I feel this makes the city more dynamic. The people really are friendly and the Cordobese accent is hilarious.

I lived in Córdoba Capital (Nueva Córdoba, to be exact) for two years and honestly couldn't wait to leave. The city is plain old ugly, it can get extremely hot and very humid (contrary to popular belief), the dining and shopping options are quite limited, and no matter where you go, you cannot escape from la Mona Jimenez and Rodrigo.

I won't deny that Córdoba does have its pluses, though. I felt safer there than in BA, the empanadas árabes are delicious, the fernet and coke is constantly flowing, the nightlife is great, you can easily get out of the city whenever you want to, and the surrounding towns in the sierras are absolutely lovely.

But in terms of the Cuyo region, I personally like San Luis, San Juan and Mendoza much better than Córdoba.

How is Rosario? Anyone living there? We have family there and will be a frequent visitor for long weekends etc.

"For me Mendoza is right up there as one of the loveliest smaller cities in the world. The beautiful air and the views of the pre-Andes, the architectural heritage, the irrigation system used to water the beautiful street trees and plazas every night coming via Inca channels from the mountain meltwater, Ruta 40, the fruit, the homesteads, new rapid transit system I havnt seen yet, the romance of the buenos aires pacifico and the transandino and the crossing of the cordilleras, the friendly people - have I forgotten anything?"

The wine? ;)

I have lived in Mendoza for four years, originally from London, and I have found it a wonderful place to live. As many say, it depends what you are looking for ... I was fed up of commuting 3 hours per day return, and I LOVE the Cordillera.

BTW 3 month exits can be made to Chile through the mountains which is a much more pleasurable trip than Colonia.

I've only visited Cordoba once and whilst it was nice and pleasant enough i think the drivers there are even crazier than the ones in ba!

Back