Buenos Aires Needs A Red Light Zone

Dublin2BuenosAires

Registered
In La Nacion today there a complaints from people living in Constitucion about on street red light activities, also about open dealing of drugs.

The situation in Bosques de palermo is intolerable, last few night i was there at around 7pm (in summer, with plenty of light) the tranvestites pro's have started appearing and, I kid you not, exposing themselves to the joggers, dog walkers and whoever else..and yes, there were a few families with kids making hurried exits.

Some sort of legalised or managed solution is required here, wooden cabins as constructed in Switzerland, move them to an area away from families and limit the amount of contact with non-clients. Bosques de palermo could be lit up at night and used for a variety of events, right now it's a condom strewn disgrace.

Naturally, when I mentioned this to an acquaintance here it was Macri's fault for not cleaning up after clients and pro's. Personal responsibility doesn't come into the equation of course. The govt has to clean up your mess.

In La Nacion today there a complaints from people living in Constitucion about on street red light activities, also about open dealing of drugs.

The situation in Bosques de palermo is intolerable, last few night i was there at around 7pm (in summer, with plenty of light) the tranvestites pro's have started appearing and, I kid you not, exposing themselves to the joggers, dog walkers and whoever else..and yes, there were a few families with kids making hurried exits.

Some sort of legalised or managed solution is required here, wooden cabins as constructed in Switzerland, move them to an area away from families and limit the amount of contact with non-clients. Bosques de palermo could be lit up at night and used for a variety of events, right now it's a condom strewn disgrace.

Naturally, when I mentioned this to an acquaintance here it was Macri's fault for not cleaning up after clients and pro's. Personal responsibility doesn't come into the equation of course. The govt has to clean up your mess.

Totally agree. Its relatively new this problem, like 3 or 4 years. Before it used to exist a red light, calle Godoy Cruz, but now they invaded los bosques de Palermo.

They moved from Godoy Cruz precisely because they were pushed out by the gentrification of the area, families complaining they were running into them etc. Now the same activity takes place in the bosques but also down Costanera, near the parque ecologica etc -- there's a tonne of red light districts in other words. The fact it's summer doesn't make a difference -- even in winter when the sun goes down earlier they are out before sunset -- I suspect it's probably a matter of safety, that some of them try to start working earlier so that they can finish earlier as well before it gets too weird and dangerous for them. It's really risky work for them as well, so yes a managed solution would be better for them as well, but as generally accepting as portenos are, I don't think any politician is going to give it a priority on their platform.

There are plenty of places in Latin America that have enacted laws like that and they didn't make a dent, just made it worse. It's almost always unavoidable that women get exploited when you legalize prostitution, especially in Latin America. The best solution would be to make it illegal and target those that use the service and target the pimps, as in fines and jail if caught. If behavior like this is wrong and families need to be protected, then why on earth would you legalize it? It is behavior that is morally reprehensible and unjust in that the rights of women are almost always abused. If we use that kind of logic, then we might legalize contract killing if it mean there were less contract killings after legalizing it. The red light zone law is what caused this issue in the first place.

On a side note:
prostitution in Argentina is legal.
pimping out someone is not.
however, prostitution is not regulated (there are no mandated medical check ups like in some parts of Europe).

They moved from Godoy Cruz precisely because they were pushed out by the gentrification of the area, families complaining they were running into them etc. Now the same activity takes place in the bosques but also down Costanera, near the parque ecologica etc -- there's a tonne of red light districts in other words. The fact it's summer doesn't make a difference -- even in winter when the sun goes down earlier they are out before sunset -- I suspect it's probably a matter of safety, that some of them try to start working earlier so that they can finish earlier as well before it gets too weird and dangerous for them. It's really risky work for them as well, so yes a managed solution would be better for them as well, but as generally accepting as portenos are, I don't think any politician is going to give it a priority on their platform.

From what they "Tell Me" the best hours, for travestis, to work are after office, for married customers to return home in time for dinner ! to the countries.
The City authorized the sex trade to move to Palermo.

I don't believe criminalisation works and has ever worked, any more than criminalising some drug use works, any more than criminalising black market currency restrictions work. These activities exist and always will, the best solution is for them to exist in a safe way for all participants. I don't think that should include exposing families to rubber strewn parks and for the pros to have to be exposing themselves to joggers to clear out their area. If they are too have an area it should be away from families and accessible for their clients. Not interested in prohibition or "moral control" as you are in effect chasing shadows. Regulation should remove pimps, pimps should be illegal, pro's should be health vetted and anyone outside that service should be moved on.

Licensed premises are healthier for all concerned, all taking place in a licensed premise with health checks and regular employment conditions in place. Licenses to be revoked and extremely harsh sentencing for pimping.

I'd do something similar with hard drugs in terms of local use as well as per certain european or nordic countries, distribution centralised by govt, taken only on premises, monitoring as part of the ability to in the scheme. Soft drugs I'd go the way of colorado...let those moral principals be applied to those blue collar crimes which cost countries billions of dollars and thousands upon thousands of jobs.

While I agree with everything you said Dublin, law making on topics like drugs and sex are not handled rationally - its a great space for populism... Even if Uruguay's strategy of legalizing the whole supply chain of weed will succeed for example, it will take a very very long time for other countries to go the same way. Imagine for example the US would legalize "soft" drugs and create licensed premises for "hard" drugs - the prison industry would be destroyed over night ;)

I think most people are totally unaware of how unjust prostitution in Argentina is. I read an academic paper about this, and the numbers were staggering. I can't remember the specifics, but something like 80 percent (once again, not so sure about that number) of female prostitutes in Argentina are brought from other countries and were promised a job, opportunities, etc., but instead were forced into prostitution. Prostitutes are from Africa and Central America for the most part. They have no way out. If they try to get out, they are either relocated to do the same in another country, or worse, killed. In fact, my father-in-law hosted prostitutes in his home group (church), and when they did make the decision to get out, they were threatened with death, and thus were forced to keep going. In his church, other friends got to know a prostitute, and in order to get her out of prostitution (of which she was an unwilling victim), they had to smuggle her out to another country in secret. Prostitution in Argentina is not a voluntary thing on the women's side for the most part. It is a mafia that involves policeman, politicians, and includes the use of underage teenagers and all sorts of nasty things. You can't legalize or control some massive injustice like this in this country. It has to be completely obliterated from the face of the earth. To even think so is crazy and a complete misunderstanding of the real world situation. People are always crowing about women's rights. Why don't they complain about this utter disregard for then sanctity of human life in this country? We're talking thousands of women here. What gives?

I think most people are totally unaware of how unjust prostitution in Argentina is. I read an academic paper about this, and the numbers were staggering. I can't remember the specifics, but something like 80 percent (once again, not so sure about that number) of female prostitutes in Argentina are brought from other countries and were promised a job, opportunities, etc., but instead were forced into prostitution. Prostitutes are from Africa and Central America for the most part. They have no way out. If they try to get out, they are either relocated to do the same in another country, or worse, killed. In fact, my father-in-law hosted prostitutes in his home group (church), and when they did make the decision to get out, they were threatened with death, and thus were forced to keep going. In his church, other friends got to know a prostitute, and in order to get her out of prostitution (of which she was an unwilling victim), they had to smuggle her out to another country in secret. Prostitution in Argentina is not a voluntary thing on the women's side for the most part. It is a mafia that involves policeman, politicians, and includes the use of underage teenagers and all sorts of nasty things. You can't legalize or control some massive injustice like this in this country. It has to be completely obliterated from the face of the earth. To even think so is crazy and a complete misunderstanding of the real world situation. People are always crowing about women's rights. Why don't they complain about this utter disregard for then sanctity of human life in this country? We're talking thousands of women here. What gives?

I agree with you, I certainly have no idea of the scope of the problem, but I do think eradication of this vice is not possible and that control is safer for all.

Back