Buenos Aires Needs A Red Light Zone

I agree with you, I certainly have no idea of the scope of the problem, but I do think eradication of this vice is not possible and that control is safer for all.

Eradication of murder is not possible. You will always have murders and rapes in any country in the world every single year. That does not mean we should decriminalize it. You call prostitution as a vice as if it were some bad habit. For the most part, prostitutes are not doing the job they are because they enjoy it. They were either trapped in it, or they felt like they had no other choice. No woman says to herself, "I want to grow up to be a prostitute." Once you are sucked into this profession, it is very very difficult to get out, because most women are taken advantage of by pimps or they have no way of working in something legitimate. For the most part, women are victims in this game in most parts of the world, sometimes from a very young age. You can't control this, especially in a country like Argentina where people ignore laws and do what they want. This issue is not like the issue of marijuana. It is a problem that cannot by solved by "regulation," but instead by raiding brothels and arresting the human traffickers. Kind of hard when a quarter of the police run the brothels.

There is nothing wrong in voluntary prostitution.

Prostitution is the oldest profession in the history of the world.

Banning prostitution leads to more crime againt women such as rapes, kidnappings as single men who are not married or in a relationship have no outlet. USA & India are two prime examples of this phenomenon. USA for kidnappings and India for rapes.

80% of the prostitutes in Capital Federal are independent workers. Rest of the 20% who are managed..well, no one has exactly placed a trigger on their forehead.

Least of the travestite prostitutes being mentioned here! Can't imagine for the love of God, that any of them are being kidnapped and being forced into prostitution at palermo park!!!

Voluntary exchange of money and body is a mutual decison between two consenting adults. Why does the 3rd person/passer-by has to fret so much??

Just as someone may find the travestites trolling in the park very unsightly..similarly there may be people who may find people's dog pooing in the park unsightly. different strokes for different folks, eh?

You are completely naive ceviche. Do you really think that most prostitutes do their job willingly, especially in this country? Do you really think all that is "consensual"? Do you think a 3rd person, the lady's dad, the lady's brother, the lady's son, might fret a bit that their daughter, sister, or mother sells her body? Whenever women are treated or thought of as sexual objects, abuse ALWAYS occurs of women somewhere in someway. Women are not just sex objects, they are human beings with intrinsic value that is equal to that of men. To allow women to be treated this way, even if they think it's what they want initially, is an extreme act of cruelty by both the individual and society. Imagine if you had a daughter. What would you think about her profession?

The transvestites are often victims in the same way as the women.

Here you can view a very informative podcast by an English human trafficking detective who talks about prostitution in general and in countries where it is legalized and "regulated": http://findingjustice.org/roddy-llewellyn-legalized-prostitution/.

Here is another good clip of a former prostitute who willingly became a sex worker: http://www.iamsecond.com/seconds/annie-lobert/

80% of the women in this city do not work independently and on their own whims. That is false.

I'm happy (sort of) to hear this is not just me. Was running in the Bosques de Palermo the other evening when a guy flashed me. I grabbed a golf-ball sized rock and hurled it. I'm a good throw, though I was aiming for the other juevo. I suspect s/he might not be so fast to drop his shorts in the near future.

Nice. So you aren't above physically assaulting someone.

The 130 bus goes from Belgrano to Palermo through the bosques de Palermo. I rode that bus every weekday for 3 years when my kids where 7 and 5 (girl and boy) on the way back to school around the time the transvestites start working... my kids fought for the window seat so they could take a closer look and have a laugh... what can I say, I did not love the idea, but you cannot avoid it or pretend they are not there. At one point they had a whole line of them identified, the old one with the boobs and penis, the newcomer who stands outside the gates, etc. To them, it is just a freak show which has gotten old. I have only hesitated when my daughter asked "but why do they stand here, how do they earn money?" and I just said that they sell drugs and that some men find them attractive and invite them to ride in their car... I tell you, it is much easier to explain this than to try to find answers as per why police let them sell drugs.

Just once a bus driver stopped the bus and advised my husband to take the kids to the left part of the bus because of the rated R view.

try to find answers as per why police let them sell drugs.

I'm wondering the same.

Hardly any woman working the streets of BA. They're mostly in private. Women don't have red zones. BA is remarkable this way. BA succeeded eliminating women's red zones.

Why don't they do the same with traves & druggies .. let them have their own private places?

NO RED ZONES ...(neither women nor traves) .. all private.

The 130 bus goes from Belgrano to Palermo through the bosques de Palermo. I rode that bus every weekday for 3 years when my kids where 7 and 5 (girl and boy) on the way back to school around the time the transvestites start working... my kids fought for the window seat so they could take a closer look and have a laugh... what can I say, I did not love the idea, but you cannot avoid it or pretend they are not there. At one point they had a whole line of them identified, the old one with the boobs and penis, the newcomer who stands outside the gates, etc. To them, it is just a freak show which has gotten old. I have only hesitated when my daughter asked "but why do they stand here, how do they earn money?" and I just said that they sell drugs and that some men find them attractive and invite them for ride in the car... I tell you, it is much easier to explain this than to try to find answers as per why police let them sell drugs.

Just once a bus driver stopped the bus and advised my husband to take the kids to the left part of the bus because of the rated R view.

Very good description of the scene, I always wondered what the bus riders thought of the exposure specially women . The driver so sensitive to warn you of the R rated spectacle. normally the drivers get a kick out of it

I'm wondering the same.

Hardly any woman working the streets of BA. They're all in private. They don't have red zones.

Why don't traves do the same and have their own private places?

NO RED ZONES ...(neither women nor traves) .. all private.

Hardly any women working the streets of BA? Are you kidding me? Where have you been, Recoleta??? Just take a trip to Flores at around 9 PM. Or Constitucion. Or Floresta. Or LIniers. They are on every corner, getting pimped out (you may think they are doing it on their own, but believe me, someone is watching them). They stand on street corners. I drive to my in laws' home and see them literally on every street corner in Flores. This is a very ugly problem and a stench to this society. And I hear people on this forum acting like this kind of thing is okay. People are literally getting trafficked left and right and no cares. These people are human sex slaves. I thought that was the kind of thing the public should oppose.

Back