Buenos Aires - not for the faint hearted

Amargo said:
Now I find this insulting. There are a lot of honest and hard working people in Argentina.

Don't get too upset......of course there are a lot of decent people (including my wife and daughter) but there is also a high percentage of people who are not decent. Unfortunately alot of them sit in judicial and governmental positions.

In the 6 countries I have lived, here is the only place where I know government officials will just walk in to a legal business and try to shake it down.

I take back the 99%

arenat said:
Well, out of circa 180 countries in the world they are the 105th most corrupted one on planet earth...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupt...ceptions_Index

Wrong, read the survey carefully,Argentina is in much better position than others, casually the much media's respected Chile.

http://www.transparency.org/policy_research/surveys_indices/gcb/2010/results
I don't get this post at all. Argentina ranks very low in this department, both Chile and Uruguay rank in the top 25.

gouchobob said:
I don't get this post at all. Argentina ranks very low in this department, both Chile and Uruguay rank in the top 25.

Perceptions are not Facts, just opinions….

The 2010 Barometer explores experiences of petty bribery among the general public around the globe, asking more than 77,000 users of nine different basic services whether they had to pay a bribe when interacting with them.6 As in past editions, the 2010 Barometer examined bribery when people had contact with customs, education, the judiciary, land related services7, medical services, the police, registry & permit services8, tax authorities, and utilities. One out of every four users of these services reports paying a bribe in the past 12 months.
[FONT=&quot]The group of countries reporting the highest petty bribery levels includes: Afghanistan, Cambodia, Cameroon, India, Iraq, Liberia, Nigeria, Palestine, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Uganda[/FONT][FONT=&quot]9[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. (Table 1 below. Table 3 in Appendix C shows the full results).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
Group 1: [FONT=&quot]50 per cent or more [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Afghanistan, Cambodia, Cameroon, India, Iraq, Liberia, Nigeria, Palestine, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Uganda [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Group 2: [FONT=&quot]Between 30 and 49.9 per cent [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Azerbaijan, Bolivia, El Salvador, Ghana, Kenya, Lebanon, Lithuania, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Pakistan, Ukraine, Vietnam, Zambia [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Group 3: [FONT=&quot]Between 20 and 29.9 per cent [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Armenia, Belarus, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Chile, Colombia, Hungary, FYR Macedonia, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Romania, Russia, Solomon Islands, Thailand, Turkey, Venezuela [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Group 4: [FONT=&quot]Between 6 and 19.9 per cent [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Argentina, Austria, Bulgaria, China, Czech Republic, Fiji, France, Greece, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Kosovo, Latvia, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Poland, Philippines, Serbia, Singapore, Taiwan, Vanuatu [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Group 5: [FONT=&quot]Less than 6 per cent [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Australia, Brazil, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, Georgia, Germany, Hong Kong, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Korea (South), Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

http://www.transparency.org/content/download/57399/918005

gouchobob said:

Hey they tie with Kazakhstan for 105th,

Argentina greatest country in the world
All other country are run by little girls...

Gringoboy said:
I couldn't give a shit about all these effing statistics.
More concerned about David's shop!
Enough of the ranking stuff. Who cares anyway?

I agree but its amazing what fairy tales some are willing to believe.

gouchobob said:
I agree but its amazing what fairy tales some are willing to believe.

Yes, it is.

I'm setting out a plate of cookies and going to bed now.

After all, it is Christmas eve.;)

So, nobody for respecting the law here? What would happen to me if I decide not to obey the IRS in the States? And not, Argentina is not even moderately corrupt compared with most of the countries in the world,and no, the US and Europe are far far away from being meritocracies,a concept that even done right would be wrong. I hope that you can sort this thing after the festivities, probably a fine for opening the store, but better than have it closed,but a lawyer will know better than me.

One of the things that is truly hurtful about this is that my store is my sole source of income and I have been accused of putting the public in a dangerous situation. That is what the "denuncia" says. After that it says that I am not allowed to operate my candy store in a historic area. When I presented myself the day I was closed down at the government offices, I asked them with my store closed what am I going to live on? The response was shrugged shoulders and total indifference. And this is all because of one of their famous administrative errors. It's just unbelieveable that this is happening.
Thank goodness I decided to open my store in spite of this disaster. I mean what are they going to do to me? These useless city employees. I am going to put the whole thing on you tube. I asked for the video recording from the security company that monitors the cameras in my shop and as soon as I have it this is going viral on the net. Stay tuned.

David, merry X-mas!!! Why dont you talk to a lawyer? the first visit will be free of charge and the honorarios are not expensive. You will have the exact speech to approach the useless city employees. Or the lawyer may provide you with another approach to the situation. Enjoy your day!!!

Back