Buenos Aires - not for the faint hearted

Davidglen77 said:
They are saying that the type of business I have is not allowed in a historic zone. Av. Triunvirato is in no way shape or form a historic zone. Furthermore I verified with the Gobierno de la ciudad de Buenos Aires that Av. Triunvirato is zona C3 which allows ANY TYPE of retail business, the only type of business that is NOT allowed around here is manufacturing or warehouses. So it's totally their error but they have the f___ing nerve to try and shut my business down for a lie/error/incompetence on their part.
There's a 99% chance they knew it was an error when they did it, but one they are only prepared to correct for a specified sum. Going through the legal system might work eventually but it could take a long time(maybe years) to resolve. I wouldn't want to give the pricks the satisfaction either, if you pay they will probably just come back again in the future. Keep us posted.

Davidglen77 said:
One of the things that is truly hurtful about this is that my store is my sole source of income and I have been accused of putting the public in a dangerous situation. That is what the "denuncia" says. After that it says that I am not allowed to operate my candy store in a historic area. When I presented myself the day I was closed down at the government offices, I asked them with my store closed what am I going to live on? The response was shrugged shoulders and total indifference. And this is all because of one of their famous administrative errors. It's just unbelieveable that this is happening.
Thank goodness I decided to open my store in spite of this disaster. I mean what are they going to do to me? These useless city employees. I am going to put the whole thing on you tube. I asked for the video recording from the security company that monitors the cameras in my shop and soon as I have it this is going viral on the net. Stay tuned.

When the administrative powers are arbitrarios (means they decide without using the law) you should stop wasting time with them and claim your rights through amparo. It takes only 2 weeks to have a sentences and it is inexpensive.

Regards

This historic argument is bull since the habilitacion was passed for your type of store. They are just trying to get some quick cash.

Actually, the application for habilitación was filed almost 2 years ago, and there was never any notification that anything was wrong. I was still waiting for the final "plancheta de habilitación" which is the final business license. I did have the proof that the application hanging up on the wall with the case number was filed and periodically checked (monthly) to see where we were with the issue. The response was always "there are so many applications, yours is still being processed, everything is fine". And BOOM these idiots come and shut my store down for a lie. The cause for closing my store down is "a candy store and wine shop is not allowed in a historic neighborhood". Villa Urquiza is NOT a historic neighborhood, and furthermore they APPROVED my type of business when they first took the application for the habilitacion.

David:
So sorry to read the update. If you haven't already found a good lawyer, I would strongly recommend you do so. Ideally a lawyer that knows people there and can get this resolved.

Lawyers aren't cheap here......I went to a "top" law firm and they screwed up my business visa to the point that migraciones advised me to be illegal until my baby was born!

So Monday I am in my store and a whole pack of police officers come in and tell me that I can´t stay open as they have on file that my store has been shut down and application for habilitación suspended. While they weren´t agressive they meant business. I told them that I had spoken to habilitaciones and was trying to resolve the situation as soon as possible and they said ok we will let you stay open today but if you don't have proof by tomorrow that this is resolved we have to close your store down. So yesterday I went to the offices where habilitaciones are handlede at 8:30 AM and the girl at the intake desk told me I had to come back after 2PM because the department that handles these things opens after 2PM. I go back at 2PM, get a number, wait for an hour. I am seen by 3 young ladies, who open a folder and proceed to tell me that my store has been closed by the city government for suspension of my application for habilitación (which of course we all know already for the past 3 weeks) and that I have to come back tomorrow at 8:30 AM to speak to habilitaciones. Which of couse I did and was told to come back at 2PM.
You see here I am caught in the black hole of government in Argentina and I am not seeing a way out. This had truly turned out to be my absolute worst nightmare come true.

So are you thinking.... $100 Pesos, a bottle of wine for the Señora, a bag of Christmas candy for the Pibes and an Abrazo would have so fixed this in five minutes after the first inspector came into your shop.

Not thinking that at all, because I was never asked for a bribe, and anyway I don't play like that. Many people here and in other places told me I should have just come out and offered one anyway, however as painful as this is I don't have a corrupt nature and can't just come out and offer a bribe to some inspectors so they will leave me alone and let me work in peace.

Back