Buenos Aires - not for the faint hearted

Ah, no surprise they wanted to close it before such celebrations.
In winter, they focus on shops selling heating systems (sorry for the dark humor David)

I'm sorry about what happened to you, and I hope things turn out ok.
I hear you about loving Argentina, and I totally agree that this type of behavior is just so unfair, especially when you honestly play by the rules.

Davidglen77 said:
Thanks to all for your support and for following this.......yesterday at about 1:00 PM I ripped the "clausura" sticker off the gate and worked all yesterday afternon and opened today at 9:00 AM and so far so good, if they do come and F__K with me they better send the F___ING army, police, air force, navy, etc. because they are going to have to physically remove me and when they take me to jail I am going on a hunger strike. Extreme bull___t calls for extreme measures.......
"Viva la Argentina y que se desaparezcan los corruptos de la faz de la tierra!!!!!!!"

Just give us the word and you'll have a picket of decent, candy-loving expats on 9 de Julio raising hell.

I am totally up for the picket or protest or whatever we want to call it. According to the constitution we also have rights and we are getting abused. I am not one to take things lightly, I am a native New Yorker, yes New York City, and we are tough s__t by nature!

I just got back into the United States, and I'm sending you my best wishes from here. One of the things that I will always value about home is that everything (for the most part) works well. I know that tomorrow I will be able to get on I-70 and get home without people blocking the highway. I know that tomorrow I will be able to go to the grocery store and pay with my debit card. I know that tomorrow I will be able to go to any ATM and get cash. There are many certainties here; there aren't so many in Argentina. It about drives me nuts, even though I love the place in general.

Perhaps you should contact the U.S. Embassy anyway? They might be able to assist you. Furthermore, the issue of seguridad jurídica is an important one for the U.S. mission here.

I gave someone a high-paid independent contractor gig as a writer, with a contract via the US, paid to an account in the US. They thanked me for the opportunity by suing me in the labor court in Buenos Aires for six figures in damages (as if they were employed in black) and putting a lien on my employer's property. The case is now in the hands of some expensive lawyers, and will probably go on for years...

Be VERY careful when doing business in Argentina.

Will said:
I gave someone a high-paid independent contractor gig as a writer, with a contract via the US, paid to an account in the US. They thanked me for the opportunity by suing me in the labor court in Buenos Aires for six figures in damages (as if they were employed in black) and putting a lien on my employer's property. The case is now in the hands of some expensive lawyers, and will probably go on for years...

Be VERY careful when doing business in Argentina.

I am not surprised about the lawsuit, here those things are very common. You are totally right about doing business here one must be VERY careful and expect anything can happen at any time and don´t expect protection from the law unless you are a friend or a relative of somebody important. Nepotism is the rule of the day here. Argentina is about as far from a meritocracy as you can get.

Back