Buenos Aires or Madrid

You say you reconnected but did not indicate whether you are in a committed relationship or not. Are you sure your man doesn't already have another girlfriend? If you haven't discussed being monogamous, you might not be. Things are different down here.

(Someone had to say it.)

I vote Madrid, especially since you have a job lined up. If you are in love, he can come visit you! And if this job experience abroad was a dream of yours, he will support you and want you to have the experience.

Thank you guys soooooo much! I know some people had sort of rude comments, like the first one, but I will just ignore those. To mitigate the turmoil I have faced to make this decision of the heart or go with the mind has been so hard and during this 11th hour I thought why not just see what some people say who maybe have really experienced BOTH cties more than I have. I have to say to the ones who took the time to respond with personal experience sharing and advice thank you, thank you, thank you! You made so much sense and I do love Madrid. I don't love Buenos Aires but I love him. We will make it work and I will be back in January and then maybe move here in July when my contract is up in Madrid. He supports either choice. I know things are different down there but he is one-of-a-kind. The true test will be in the distance. I leave tonight for Madrid so I AM SO HAPPY you guys repsonded so quickly!!! As I wrote the original post on my bathroom floor, tears falling, I thought no one will respond in time... what do you do!? LOL. It isn't that I needed you guys to tell me, I just needed to hear someone say I have lived in both and...

Thanks so much!

I think they both have their awesome and their shitty things. I lived for 3 months when i was 16 in Madrid and it was awesome... ten years later im leaving in BsAs and it has been awesome too.

if you just speak english Spain might not be your place but you can travel for less money around awesome places all over Europe. Traveling in Arg could be expensive.

they could be racist but very nice, they could be ignorant but very smart.

madrid is one of my fave cities in the world and buenos aires looks like it sometimes.

Metro in Madrid :fap-fap: LOL

Good luck!

I just got back from Barcelona. It's like Buenos Aires but about 100 times better. Madrid is supposed to be superb. The Euro is crashing so things in Spain should be a lot cheaper and Europe is going down fast, wheras Argentina is digging out of debt and recovering. But I'd still take Spain over Buenos Aires. And I really, really like Buenos Aires, where I spent 5 months recently.

Madrid is a great city. It is also close to other great European cities and only 2 and a half hours by train to Costa del Sol.
However, rent and real estate is very expensive there, but going down thanks to the crisis.

SydSol said:
I just got back from Barcelona. It's like Buenos Aires but about 100 times better. Madrid is supposed to be superb. The Euro is crashing so things in Spain should be a lot cheaper and Europe is going down fast, wheras Argentina is digging out of debt and recovering. But I'd still take Spain over Buenos Aires. And I really, really like Buenos Aires, where I spent 5 months recently.

The mention of Barcelona when the question is about Madrid is why I think that you should choose Madrid. Cities like Barcelona & Sevilla inside of Spain and then all of the rest of Europe just a cheap train or plane ride away give Madrid a big advantage.

From Buenos Aires, the closest ~"World Class Cities" are Santiago (debatable whether it's "World Class") and Sao Paulo/Rio de Janiero. And the Brazil flights aren't that cheap.

If you have a job already making Euros, I have to say that that's really a difficult thing to ignore.

I would pick Madrid without even giving it a second thought. You can get so many places in under two hours in the EU, the food is delicious, you would get paid in a much more stable currency, and IMHO Spain is much better than Bs. As.

I have lived in several countries in Europe and had a much more enjoyable experience in every one of them than I have had here. People are more sophisticated, polite and it's a first world country.

My $0.02.:D

I would pick Buenos Aires any day. You have the whole rest of your life to visit, live and see Madrid, but you never know eith Argentina. Visit now that you can, Spain will always be that close and so easy to visit...leave it for when you are older.
BA is a bigger adventure.
Plus: Madrid has become REALLY expensive. Try renting a flat somewhere near the city and you will know what I am talking about. Apart from that, Madrid is rather posh...as I said, leave it for when you are old and rich.

Amargo said:
I would pick Buenos Aires any day. You have the whole rest of your life to visit, live and see Madrid, but you never know eith Argentina. Visit now that you can, Spain will always be that close and so easy to visit...leave it for when you are older.
BA is a bigger adventure.

You know Amargo and I never agree but in this I feel he's making sense. I have lived in some pretty demanding places in my youth (Yemen, Egypt, Sudan, Dublin and Park City!!) and laterally Bsas for nearly 8 years. I'm in Spain now (Jerez, 1 hour from Seville) an old sophisticated and somewhat stuffy city but with the level of antiquity that I need and all the good food and sophistication I really missed in Bsas..I's 43 now with 2 kids, this is right for me...Spain will always be there for you. Bsas is a once in a lifetime shot when you're young. Go for it.

Back