Buenos Aires vs. Colombia

STElmoFranco

Registered
Hi,

I lived in Buenos Aires for about a year and a half in 2007/2008 and am now considering either moving back to BA or possibly to Bogota or Medellin Colombia. I have never been to Colombia, but I have read a lot about it, and it sounds like it could a fantastic place to live for a while. While I still love Buenos Aires, I'm concerned about its' rising costs and growing number of tourists and expats living there. Have any of you been to Colombia recently? What were your impressions and why or why wouldn't you want to live there?

I appreciate any helpful information you could provide!

Franco

If you think there are too many tourists/expats living in BsAs please stay away: you're part of the problem.

If youre moving here for good people, youre in the wrong place. I have never met so many deplorable people in my life as here. Cant have a good country, when you mostly have bad people.

Only been to Colombia on holiday - once to Bogota and once to Cali.

Had stuff stolen from my luggage before even getting out of the airport both times and got robbed with a knife at my throat in a busy street in broad daylight in Cali.

I have never been to Columbia but a Colombian friend I knew in the US said that he and his family have a lot of security. It seemed more extreme than here and the country (Columbia) seemed divided more sharply between two classes. Maybe people who have lived in Columbia can provide better information. As for the people, I can only say that the Colombians I have met here and in the US have always been agreeable people. I can´t say how representative they are.

I've been to Bogota, Colombia once for vacation with my girlfriend at the time who was from Bogota and I've got to tell you, I've never felt so unsafe in my life. I figured it was just a matter of time before I got mugged and I couldn't wait to get out. I've heard great things about Medellin and Cali, but I've never been.

brocolliandtea said:
If youre moving here for good people, youre in the wrong place. I have never met so many deplorable people in my life as here. Cant have a good country, when you mostly have bad people.
can you explain what you mean please?:eek:

brocolliandtea said:

Your negativity is really getting old.

I visit Bogota several times a year. I have rarely felt unsafe and have considered relocating there more than once. I am however usually with business associates or a few friends I have made there. My concern regarding living there has been how much of the city would be open to me (safety wise) on a longer term basis.

I think I would feel a little limited in my access to the city compared to living here in BA.

I have only visited Medellin twice and for very short periods. Gorgeous city, but I believe it still has some remnants of the cartels all over the place.

I do believe you will hardly meet nicer people than the Colombians.

STElmoFranco said:
While I still love Buenos Aires, I'm concerned about its' rising costs and growing number of tourists and expats living there.

You're concerned about the "growing number of tourists and expats living" in Buenos Aires? Why?

Anyway, I know a couple of guys who have been living in Medellin for a while and they love it. They're looking to buy some real estate and open a bar now in El Poblado, the swanky part of town. I can't wait to check it out myself. From what I've heard, it's pretty damn nice. It's also much cheaper than Buenos Aires.

And, of course, the people are much cooler. brocolliandtea may go a bit overboard from time to time, but s/he's not saying anything we don't all already know. People from Buenos Aires have a well-deserved international reputation for being douchebags and, while it's certainly possible to meet a decent local here and there, on the whole people from BA are ridiculous idiots. Argentines from outside BA do tend to be a bit more reasonable but if one is interested in being surrounded by polite, considerate, friendly people and not dealing with idiotic nonsense all the time, Argentina is really not the place to be. And only the truly delusional BA Kool-Aid drinkers would deny that.

Back