Buenos Aires vs. Colombia

HowardinBA said:
can you explain what you mean please?:eek:

I think I understand how s/he feels. I'm trying to be as positive as I can because I'm probably here for the rest of my life, but the Argentinians, as a people, are kind of saddled with a culture that can feel very alien to a Western European, and to a lesser extent North American.

If I had to sum it up in one sentence, it's that they believe 'the end always justifies the means'. It's why endemic corruption exists, not only in politics, but in all walks of life. I've experienced it at all levels (and ashamedly had to take part - it's the only way to survive).

Unless you learn to accept it and put your own moral compass to one side when necessary, you're going to have a very low opinion of the majority of the populace.

It's the biggest culture shock I've ever experienced and I've lived in some pretty extreme places, including the Middle East.

Hi, I was born in Colombia, lived in the UK for 15 years but haven't been back in about 8 years. I actually lived there when it was what Mexico is sadly becoming now. At the moment I'm living in Cordoba.

My honest opinion: Colombia is a gorgeous country, I guess that living in violence and fear during so long has make colombians very fed up with it and always (at least that happens to me) tried to make the country look good by behaving good wherever we go. We are very welcoming of strangers and will always find people who will invite you over for lunch etc...

BUT... You need to know where you're going, talk to locals about where you're planning to go and do. We are very friendly and aware of the situation.

Don't let sensationalist people put you down. To the "someone put a knife in my throat" person I'd ask: where were you? what were you doing in that specific place? and why were you showing off your expensive watch/trainers in a poor country, don't you think that's stupid? I meet a guy in London that was kidnapped, he told me his story and I said : what the fuck were you doing in such a dangerous area! Something will happen if you thread in the wrong place anywhere, I was robbed twice in London for christ's sake!

The golden rule in Colombia is "Don't give papaya" ask there what it means.

Good luck

Medellin is very nice. Incredible weather, beautiful women. For me it was a great place to visit and live for a few months but I found it to be too small to live in full time. I never had any problems but was more cautious than I am here. I met expats there that love it. The only way to know is to go spend a few months and see how it fits you.

cocteauuk said:
To the "someone put a knife in my throat" person I'd ask: where were you? what were you doing in that specific place? and why were you showing off your expensive watch/trainers in a poor country, don't you think that's stupid?

You patronising ass-hole.
I was down-town, in a busy street lined with crowded pavement restaurants. I was wearing a $6 watch that I bought when I arrived in your sh1t-hole country and I was wearing a pair of very plain shoes, jeans and a t-shirt.

An old woman stopped me asking for money, distracting me long enough for her 2 accomplices to attack me. One put his arm around my neck from behind and held a knife to my throat whilst the other one ripped the cheap watch off my arm and took the $15 in cash from my pockets. At least 80-100 people stopped eating or walking past to watch them before they got on a bicycle and cycled off.

I went to the police station, where they laughed at my description of what happened - I walked out and booked a flight to Lima for the next day.

batra said:
The only way to know is to go spend a few months and see how it fits you.

Franco, I would say batra gives you the best advice, we dont know what you like .... and there are lots of easy soundbites.

I love Colombia, and have found the Colombians to be a truly wonderful people .... which for me is more important than whether my isolated experiences are good or bad.

But back to my point, why not rent an apartment in Colombia for 3 months and see how you like it. I agree with many that Medellin is a great city.

One other thought ... there are other cities in Argentina other than BA :) .... have you been to Mendoza, Salta, Cordoba?

Alzinho said:
You patronising ass-hole.
I was down-town, in a busy street lined with crowded pavement restaurants. I was wearing a $6 watch that I bought when I arrived in your sh1t-hole country and I was wearing a pair of very plain shoes, jeans and a t-shirt.

An old woman stopped me asking for money, distracting me long enough for her 2 accomplices to attack me. One put his arm around my neck from behind and held a knife to my throat whilst the other one ripped the cheap watch off my arm and took the $15 in cash from my pockets. At least 80-100 people stopped eating or walking past to watch them before they got on a bicycle and cycled off.

I went to the police station, where they laughed at my description of what happened - I walked out and booked a flight to Lima for the next day.

I've always assumed I was unlucky and that not all Colombians are pricks.....you've got me thinking that maybe they are.

Hah! Wow, Alzinho, that was quite a post.

Tourist2008 said:
One other thought ... there are other cities in Argentina other than BA :) .... have you been to Mendoza, Salta, Cordoba?

I could not agree more.
You may know that insurance in Buenos Aires is DOUBLED for any given car (to say something) compared to any other major cities like Rosario, Cordoba, etc.
Not only security changes, but the people too. It's a widely known fact that the "pace" the porteños live in is much different to that of people in the rest of the country. And their integrity and values may be different.

Talking about "End justifies the means"...
Let's take the US: Is Enron representative of the average US companies? Is the movie "Wall Street" a depiction of what happens all over the US all the time?

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I was a little surprised that so many of you brought up differences in the people's attitudes, and were quite negative towards Argentina. I was expecting more people to bring up security and quality of life issues. This is very helpful, though like some said it probably largely depends on luck and who you happen to meet.

To answer one question, of why I was a a little concerned about there now being more tourists and expats from the last time I was in BsAs, is that while I love my country (EEUU), and fellow Westerners, the reason I enjoy traveling and living in Latin America is to be fully immersed in a difference culture and language. I guess I could just avoid certain businesses and attractions to solve this issue.

I'm now planning on arriving in Buenos Aires this summer with the possibility of going to Colombia either for a trip or to live after trying my hardest to enjoy Argentina to its fullest.

STElmoFranco said:
Thanks for all the comments and advice. I was a little surprised that so many of you brought up differences in the people's attitudes, and were quite negative towards Argentina. I was expecting more people to bring up security and quality of life issues. This is very helpful, though like some said it probably largely depends on luck and who you happen to meet.

To answer one question, of why I was a a little concerned about there now being more tourists and expats from the last time I was in BsAs, is that while I love my country (EEUU), and fellow Westerners, the reason I enjoy traveling and living in Latin America is to be fully immersed in a difference culture and language. I guess I could just avoid certain businesses and attractions to solve this issue.

I'm now planning on arriving in Buenos Aires this summer with the possibility of going to Colombia either for a trip or to live after trying my hardest to enjoy Argentina to its fullest.
Be honest tell us what you are really looking for in a place to stay.
Colombia, and Argentina are truly worlds apart when it comes to culture and national identity.

STElmoFranco said:

My initial reply might've been a bit harsh, but I think you several options when moving to Buenos Aires. If you want to live -relatively - close to the city centre, live in neighbourhoods with loads of cultural happenings, stores and good transportation options you might end up in Retiro/Recoleta/Palermo. These are neighbourhoods where many expats live, and many tourists come too visit. It's easy (but not cheap) to find accomodation in that part of town and most things will be up to 'Western' standards.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a more 'authentic' life in BsAs, you could choose to live in a neighbourhood which is more residential, further away from the city centre (and not necessarily less safe) such as Chacarita, Collegiales, Monte Castro and Villa Devoto. These are nice neighbourhoods with a more mid-size city feel, cheaper to live in and you will hardly come across foreigners and/or tourists.

That is what I love about BA: more than 40 neighbourhoods with (very) distinct characteristics.

Back