Buquebus - beware

I really understand the thinking of people who have come here from certain countries. I came from one of them myself.

But to be genuinely honest, I like the respect that South America shows me. They give me credit for reasonably normal intelligence. They think I should be able to see a hole in the sidewalk that I could fall through; to see if cars are coming if I decide to cross the street in the middle of the block, to see low-hanging branches and doorways--all of that. I did see an open hole in the sidewalk once that someone had graciously stuck a dead tree in to warn half-blind pedestrians who might not see the cavern directly ahead of them. That was considerate.

Folks, I am glad I left the nanny-state. Patrick, I'm genuinely glad you're here and I understand. It's a change. I hope we meet at one of the ex-pat meetings. But I sure hope you guys are not successful in turning South America into the US or Europe. If you do, I'll have to find another place to go! :) We like it like it is. So let's all just open our eyes, look where we are going, take responsibility for ourselves, and be glad we still have a little freedom here!

I will add this is just my opinion. Lots of people disagree with me.

ElQueso said:
I appreciate your tolerance and likewise, being from Texas in the South of the States, tolerate Brits calling me "Yank" :)

Thank you for this. Being from the S.E., Florida, and living in Atlanta most of my life I don't get offended being called a Jankee. BUT, I always wish they knew to call me "Rebel." Or, just a simple "Reb" would suffice....

Patrick Newton, I hope we didn't make you feel bad. I read through the entire thread and laughed all the way through. You gave us some good entertainment and if you stay in Argentina (or Uruguay, or Paraguay, or Chile and probably most other Latin countries) in a few years you'll look back at this and laugh good-naturedly too. It comes from being a newcomer. Unlike you, when my son talked me into coming here, I resisted because when I thought of Argentina I thought of bamboo houses and dirt floors! ;) So for me, what is here was a serious upgrade from what I imagined. With you, I think it's going to take some getting used to. But welcome to Argentina! ;D

Oh bless. Im amazed that nobody has mentioned that this sort of attitude cost everyone a fortune in insurance! Im not long here but living in Italy previously to BA has prepared me. In Italy they are really into Darwinism. If you're stupid enough to go up on that roof on a rickety ladder and you fall off then thats your fault. But we will have a lovely funeral! Love it, think for yourself and don't take anything for granted.

In Morocco or Tanzania where I used to live, they don't even have a depatment from which to send you the letter you miraculously got from Buquebus. With that said there are a lot of places one can hurt themselves if not paying attention. This I noticed after less than a week in the city. Be careful out there.

arlean said:
let's all just open our eyes, look where we are going, take responsibility for ourselves,

I always thought that Nestor K was a supreme achievement in Darwinian evolution fit for life in Buenos Aires,

With his wonky eye he could look where he was going as well as where he was treading at the same time!

A supremely useful adaptation in this land of "grands tas fumants de merde de chien!"

maybe need an implant in the back of the head to also eyeball the approaching motochorros?

I think we humans have something below the forehead, called usually "eyes", and a kind of thing called mind/brain to pay attention in order to avoid accidents, and so on.

Patrick Newton said:
This sort of thing would never happen in the UK or America.

I was walking down a main street in Kensington, London. I walked over a metal grating and it collapsed. I fell down a 12 foot hole. I had to be rescued by the fire brigade and was off work for two weeks.

These things happen everywhere.

Back