Burgers In Argentina

Hi from 4th St. in the West Village ,NYC about 5 blocks from the Minetta Tavern and another 5 from the Corner Bistro at 4th and Jane St. Thanks to LINE54 for mentioning the latter.My family and I go there often.The burgers are not quite as big as Minetta's but equally famous in NY at only $8.00. Minetta's is usually so crowded with local trend setters and tourists that you can't get in.I just had a smoked sausage with 4 different relishes (un chorizo al plato) and an iced tea for U$D 10.64 about AR$ 165 at Mighty Quinn's Barbecue on the corner of Greenwich Ave. and 11 St. in the same neighborhood and very accessibly priced.Kind of an upscale self-service placeThe next time you're in NYC,please check it out.I'll be back in B.A .on Sept.28.

Burgers are something that I just don't miss. I rarely need to find one here because they are so easy to make - at least the burgers themselves. The fixins may take a little more time if you like sauteed onions, or guacamole, sure. But even that doesn't take much time, really.

Of course, it would be really cool to be able to find some buns for the burgers that aren't Bimbo, or hard disks, etc.

I know a guy who came here as a visitor once and was looking for a way to stay. His last idea was to open up a burger bar. But he spent more than a month trying to get his meat mixture "just right", trying to find the baker who could made the perfect bun, even down to trying to come up with the perfect batter for onion rings. In the end, he spent too much time and money on figuring things out and never got started.

Nothing like a plain, juicy, tasty burger. Easy to make, hard to find here. I make them for the family at least once a week, using the meat I buy in the supermarket, and adding some spices (not much really - sometimes I'm in the mood for a smoky burger so I'll add a little liquid smoke to the meat, and always add a little Lawry's Seasoned Salt, etc). A little butter, and even toasted Bimbo buns are tolerable.

360 Burger Bar makes very competent burgers in my opinion. And he makes his own buns daily. I only went there a few times because he was only open for lunch and if you didn't get there soon enough he ran out of buns, but I understand that he's fixed this issue by opening up another location and being able to make enough buns for both places in the available space.

The Hard Rock makes a decent burger. Not great, not as good as 360, but in the last year or so they have improved quite a bit. They're just a bit expensive, at least with the rest of the meal counted in.

But burgers that are so large you literally can't open your mouth wide enough to take a complete bite - pshaw! Tha'ts just marketing, though why that impresses anyone I don't know. And it doesn't make a good burger, it's easy to make a thick patty and pile a bunch of stuff on top of it. Reminds me of a stop at Denny's I made with my folks on my recent trip to the States while driving back from California. (I don't particularly like Denny's, but near the Mohave there's just not a whole lot of other options, as we found out on our way there). A guy at the table next to us ordered a double burger that was so big he could hardly hold it in his hands. Chock full of all kinds of toppings which of course made things quite slippery. My folks and I were watching him and wondering how on Earth he was going to take a bite of it. He tried it at various angles and couldn't make it work and it began to fall apart. He re-ordered the burger and finally placed one end against the plate to hold everything in the back in, then lowered his head to the plate to push it into his mouth. It was all we could do not to bust up laughing.

El queso

can you please organize a burger ( cooked by you) party for us?

We often make our own burgers and with the price of minced beef, it's pretty economical.
You also get to know exactly what you're eating, although having lived here for ten years now, that aspect is a little less important today.(think chorizos)

We've started making our own too. I'm not 100% happy with mine yet. Anyone have a recipe they want to share?

Back