Burn your wife to death and play your "get out of jail free" card

LostinBA

Registered
How does this nation expect anyone to take it's judicial system seriously when, for example, a musician can murder his wife by dousing her with fuel and setting her on fire only to see her die slowly and painfully in a hospital after years of documented abuse, then drag the trial out forever and then finally, finally when convicted to jail, allow him to take days/evenings outside to play/party at government gigs and hang out with his pals???

LostinBA said:
How does this nation expect anyone to take it's judicial system seriously

I don't think anyone takes Argentina's judiciary system seriously. Really there isn't much of a working judicial system in Argentina. It's almost non-existant. So crazy things like this don't surprise me.

<IRONY>Sorry, man, but the boys from La Cámpora need to be entertained. I think that takes priority over any crime this guy may have committed. </IRONY>

Seriously though, I don't see how anyone can defend this. The President should have fired whoever was responsable for this instead of defending the practice. Can't she ever admit that the people under her are wrong sometimes?

earlyretirement said:
I don't think anyone takes Argentina's judiciary system seriously. Really there isn't much of a working judicial system in Argentina. It's almost non-existant. So crazy things like this don't surprise me.

"I have been told"... that CFK actually is on record as defending this practice as a means of assimilating the convict back into society. Protests during the week and Futbol riots on the weekends in order to be a fully functional citizen of Argentina.

This was all over the electronic news outlets a week or so ago. I think the Clarin broke it if I'm remembering correctly.

http://www.clarin.com/zona/Militancia-terreno_0_745725575.html

http://www.eltribuno.info/Salta/184...co-de-los-presos.note.aspx?origen=metarefresh

It's not just Vasquez that is getting out - this supposedly applies to all inmates.

What's particularly heinous about Vasquez' case is that he was not only allowed out once while in jail undergoing the prolonged trial, but 10 DAYS after his 18 year conviction. The excuse is "reintegration" into society. Even if that were the case, 10 days after the beginning of an 18-year sentence hardly seems justified to begin reintegration.

Also, the prosecutor reportedly asked for a life sentence, but the judge decided 18 years was enough because Vasquez was enraged during the murder, even though supposedly there was evidence it wasn't necessarily a spur of the moment act.

Both times he was let out to go to a "cultural" event put on by Vatayon Militante (Militant Battalion), a group that supports Cristina heavily. He was allowed to play officially with his group for the two times he went out.

http://sumateacristina.net/group/vatayon

http://www.periodicotribuna.com.ar/...vatayon-militante-que-prepara-la-campora.html

He was seen with other prisoners who have ties with Vatayon Militante on both occasions. He's definitely not the only one being let out.

I didn't see specifically in any of the articles I've read, but it appears that only criminals who have Peronist/Kirchnerist ties are being let out under this program. That is certainly the opinion of my Argentine friend who pointed these out to me to begin with. It's supposed to apply to all prisoners.

There was also an article I read (can't find now) that argued the jails are being used for recruiting into Vatayon Militante.

Cristina has indeed supported this. I can't find the article I originally read, but here's one I found with a quick search:

http://www.argentinos24.com.ar/nota...alida-de-presos-y-cuestiono-a-los-medios.html

Everyone officially commenting from the government, including Cristina, comments that all permissions to leave prison for day trips (although some have been overnight) have been approved by judges under legal authority. They all deny that the prisoners attend any political rallies - they are all cultural events.

The events talking about Vasquez specifically are full of Kirchnerista propoganda.

It goes beyond just Argentina's penal system if this "law" for the release of prisoners on day passes for reintegration is only used to support "cultural events" put on to support Cristina politically. Not to mention if the recruitment of "soldiers" for Vatayon Militante is being done in prisons, giving those prisoners special benefits like being classed political instead of criminal (another article I read claimed that - including Vasquez).

The Argentinos I know are outraged by this and say it's evidence that Cristina is marshaling an army of sorts. I know some are going to roll their eyes, but these Argentinos have compared groups like Vatayon Militante to Hitler's Brown Shirts/Storm Troopers.

Keep an eye out everyone - the things Cristina is doing only make sense (if you assume she and her advisers are not complete imbeciles) if she continues to stay in power in some fashion and keep things moving her way...

Interesting to come across this post and feel I should share my own experience. I am a law student who has been in BsAs and working with a criminal attorney. During my time here I have had to often remind myself that I am not here to criticize but to observe and use this experience as a springboard for class discussions when I return. With that in mind here is an experience with the prison system.

I attended one such event where prisoners were given permission to attend as part of a "cultural" outing. At this meeting there were over a dozen prisoners from Devoto, Marcos Paz, Ezezia, and the women's prison. There were also family members of these prisoners in attendance. These prisoners came and left on their own accord and stayed for as long as they desired. There were no guards that brought them, stayed or picked them up. Nothing on their person to track their whereabouts during their time out of jail. I do not know the exact crimes these prisoners committed but all of them were serving varying sentences of more than 15 years. Some came for a few minutes and left. Where to, I do not know.

After the meeting was over I noticed some just hung around the Congresso area where "friends" suddenly showed up for a happy reunion. A couple got on the back of motos and took off into obscurity. A fee headed for the subte or hopped onto buses. Others walked off into the dark with "friends" that had come to meetup with them. After watching this I had to ask the attorneys I was with, What's in place to make sure they return to the prison? I was given the answer that these prisoners didn't have bracelets or anything of the like and they returned because if not there would be a warrant for their arrest. Further they would lose the privilege of going to "cultural" events and having outings.

Had they not identified themselves as "detenido" at the meeting I would have never been able to tell they were prisoners. They looked like anyone else on the street even with brand new shoes. What they all had in common were all the men carried a backpack for their day's necessities. I was told that some of the prisoners had 6/8 hours other had overnight or 24hours leave. The "cultural" event they had been given permission to attend only lasted 1 hour. I was taken aback at the thought that at a certain point with good conduct and enough accumulated points a prisoner could use the prison just as a hotel to sleep at no matter what their crime. It would be an understatement to say I was surprised to see the extent of liberty the condemned criminals had to go about their business during the "cultural" outing without any supervision other than a curfew to return to jail.

Back