Butter??

Aleina Dee said:
Syngirl, it really depends on the Coto branch. My previous one had butter from a local cooperative,the current one only stretches as far as "La Veronica"

Thanks for the link to the organic place.It could save me running all over the place for various things.

Coto is removing a lot of brands from it's shelves. It's seems to be downgrading itself to more of a Dia / Vea class of supermarket. I find a lot of their locations really scummy and badly kept as well!

Aleina Dee said:
Syngirl, it really depends on the Coto branch. My previous one had butter from a local cooperative,the current one only stretches as far as "La Veronica"

Thanks for the link to the organic place.It could save me running all over the place for various things.

Coto is removing a lot of brands from it's shelves. It seems to be downgrading itself to more of a Dia / Vea style supermarket. I also find that a lot of the locations are just dirty and scummy!

They also used to have a decent selection of fiambres / cheeses but the last time I went it was all Coto brand and VERY little selection.

Thank you all sooo much! I will make my way to the subte in search of the new gold of Buenos Aires: butter! hahahaha.

syngirl said:
Coto is removing a lot of brands from it's shelves. It seems to be downgrading itself to more of a Dia / Vea style supermarket. I also find that a lot of the locations are just dirty and scummy!

They also used to have a decent selection of fiambres / cheeses but the last time I went it was all Coto brand and VERY little selection.

Coto cheese is incredibly expensive, go to your local queseria to find some decent cheese much cheaper.

syngirl said:

Some of those things that say COTO on them are just individually portioned products from other producers.

Coto sells very good Di Parma ham for $209/kg and Serrano hams for $189/kg. Thats about 50-100 pesos less than disco or the local fiambreria.

There is a little shop on Gallo between Santa Fe and Guemes that sells country-style butter (and incidentally, great brie). Across the street is a place called Quetec that sells olive oil, wine, and other similar products. They do a good balsamic (much better than what you find in the average super).

So I went to El Galpon last Saturday on an adventure to get "the" butter in Chacarita. Can't say that when I squinted my I eyes I believed I was at Dean & DeLuca in Soho NYC but it certainly rang of farm fresh! But more that that I loved the place. The little yellow building at the end of the dirt road, And the parilla outside with the gaucho cooking under the tin roof with the plastic covered tables was mouth watering (although I didnt eat there but it looked real authentic- Beats Francis Malman!). And the eggs which I did buy were fantastic. As was the yoghurt. Vegetables looked good as well.

I will be going back again this week to try a different stand in the market on Saturday. And I certainly will try karis' suggestion (thanks) on Gallo. And then go home and butter my baquette from either the Alvear Hotel Bakery or L'Epi.

Back