Button Has Arrived At Ezeiza

Ceviche

Registered
Anyone has experienced Mexico City customs?

https://www.infoviajera.com/2017/02/finalmente-afip-anuncia-controles-selectivos-en-la-aduana-ahora-si-arrancan-los-semaforos/

It's thing like these that make me no longer live in this country.
Yes, it is material consumerism, but also a limitation of personal freedom. I wonder how is it not considered unconstitutional to tell people how much they can shop abroad when they are not even able to control internal economy and their stupid inflated prices.

It's thing like these that make me no longer live in this country.
Yes, it is material consumerism, but also a limitation of personal freedom. I wonder how is it not considered unconstitutional to tell people how much they can shop abroad when they are not even able to control internal economy and their stupid inflated prices.

One of the things which made me fell in love with this country when I first arrived here...was non- intrusive customs, non-intrusive airport security and non-intrusive immigration officers. It felt so nice.

Well, I guess, this is what we voted for in 2015.

I'm not sure just what all of this means. Could someone enlighten me with a brief summary?

You buy something worth more than 300 USD abroad and are a resident of Argentina --> when coming back to Argentina you have to queue in "Declare" instead of "Nothing to declare".
If you queue in Declare you have to pay 50% of the value over 300 USD.
If you queue in Nothing to declare you might be randomly checked and if found at fault your purchases will be confiscated.

While it is easy to buy clothes, use them and pack them, for electronics good things are different because you should be declaring your imported goods upon LEAVING the country. There is an AFIP form where you have to state make, model and serial no. of your phone.

For example, I have an iPhone 5, I travel abroad and decide to buy a iPhone 7. In this case I have to declare my old iPhone 5 upon leaving Argentina.
When coming back with a new iPhone 7, I will have purchased goods for over 300 USD. Assuming an iPhone 7 costs $1000, when I travel back to Argentina I have to declare it (show purchase receipt). $1000-$300 =$700. A 50% tax means $350. So I will end up paying the phone $1350. Might as well buy it in Argentina.
Even if I declare I exited Argentina with an iPhone 5 with serial no. XXX, they'll see I am entering with an iPhone 7 with serial no. YYY. The only thing that comes to my mind is if I have someone buy the iPhone 7 for me, pass me the serial no., declare that serial no. when EXITING Argentina with the old phone and hope they don't check.

The limit is just 150 USD if you travel by sea or land, btw.
So much for the Paris of South America.

Even with the inconvenience of having to make do with last year's phones, Argentina has some advantages over more developed countries. Terrorists ignore us, muslim refugees don't flood us, and our current president is a genius compared to the clown occupying the White House.

Not sure what the fuss is about.

1) Don't most countries work like this? Don't they pass out a customs form on the plane where you have to indicate what you're bringing in over a certain limit, and if you are not candid you risk your stuff being confiscated? Don't most European countries have a green line (nothing to declare) and a red line, and if you use the green line and are stopped you might have problems?

2) I've been stopped in Ezeiza before and made to pay duties on some new clothing.

What is the fuss about? That the existing rules are better more strongly enforced?

I, for one, am more mad about the traffic cameras proliferating all over the city, point of which it clearly seems is more about revenue than safety.
Over 700 pesos for going 67 km/h in a 60 zone? Really?

It's pretty much like this everywhere and I've rarely had a problem at EZE, but it's just luck of the draw. I've seen people busted with cartloads of stuff, so just be smart about it.

It's pretty much like this everywhere and I've rarely had a problem at EZE, but it's just luck of the draw. I've seen people busted with cartloads of stuff, so just be smart about it.
Same here, except no luck just bribes, works everytime no matter who the president is.....

You buy something worth more than 300 USD abroad and are a resident of Argentina --> when coming back to Argentina you have to queue in "Declare" instead of "Nothing to declare".
If you queue in Declare you have to pay 50% of the value over 300 USD.
If you queue in Nothing to declare you might be randomly checked and if found at fault your purchases will be confiscated.

While it is easy to buy clothes, use them and pack them, for electronics good things are different because you should be declaring your imported goods upon LEAVING the country. There is an AFIP form where you have to state make, model and serial no. of your phone.

For example, I have an iPhone 5, I travel abroad and decide to buy a iPhone 7. In this case I have to declare my old iPhone 5 upon leaving Argentina.
When coming back with a new iPhone 7, I will have purchased goods for over 300 USD. Assuming an iPhone 7 costs $1000, when I travel back to Argentina I have to declare it (show purchase receipt). $1000-$300 =$700. A 50% tax means $350. So I will end up paying the phone $1350. Might as well buy it in Argentina.
Even if I declare I exited Argentina with an iPhone 5 with serial no. XXX, they'll see I am entering with an iPhone 7 with serial no. YYY. The only thing that comes to my mind is if I have someone buy the iPhone 7 for me, pass me the serial no., declare that serial no. when EXITING Argentina with the old phone and hope they don't check.

The limit is just 150 USD if you travel by sea or land, btw.
So much for the Paris of South America.

Thanks, Serafina. I never bring new clothes or electronics, etc., or anything that I feel would stick out like a sore thumb, when returning from the US. I most always bring books, household/kitchen items (wax paper, condiments, etc.), vitamins, DVDs - all essentially inconsequential items for personal use or consumption. Of course, the total of all this stuff is over US$300.00 total, but I've never had a problem at customs. With this recent directive, it makes me wonder if aduana will be taking a closer look. Hmmmm...

Back