Button Has Arrived At Ezeiza

I am tempted to write Macri, who for sure hold my same citizenship, if he gets this treatment when traveling to my country and I find he deems legitimate that Argentina pretends a 50% "tax" on things I purchased/received as a gift while abroad. I feel like my things are going to be those I carried with me in 2014 for the next 10 years. Basically, by choosing to live here I made a vote of poverty.

I am tempted to write Macri, who for sure hold my same citizenship, if he gets this treatment when traveling to my country and I find he deems legitimate that Argentina pretends a 50% "tax" on things I purchased/received as a gift while abroad. I feel like my things are going to be those I carried with me in 2014 for the next 10 years. Basically, by choosing to live here I made a vote of poverty.

While young Macri holds Italian citizenship , he also is a member of the Calabrian Community....!! :rolleyes:

While young Macri holds Italian citizenship , he also is a member of the Calabrian Community....!! :rolleyes:

We're getting '"Pizzo" para todos' instead of 'pizza para todos', we had a miscommunication, sorry, folks!

what about your comp and cellphone, do you ever declare it upon leaving? even if a laptop looks used I guess they might still argue that you 'bought' it abroad unless there is a declaration showing that you had it when you left...

This will make me look out of touch or not up to date, but I have only a small flip cellphone. No iPad or smartphone, etc. When travelling to the US, I carry my local flip cellphone plus a another small flip cellphone that I use while in the US. As I posted previously, I never bring back any kind of electronic items.

Wax Paper ????? You can get that here. It's called "papel manteca". Any stationary store here should have it.

Papel manteca is more like waxed butcher block paper, far too thick and cumbersome for daily kitchen/cooking use, not to mention rather expensive for the overall skimpy amount that is made/packaged here. There's nothing in the world like good old-fashioned Cut-Rite wax paper for everyday use in the kitchen, especially for storing food items like cheese and most all baked goods...and it's inexpensive considering how much one gets in a single box.

Are we suggesting wrapping our first world booty in this miracle paper before we board the plane back to Ezeiza?
It's a thought.

You know, that might be a good idea. I'm sure it would leave customs bemused, wondering why some old Yankee would do something so utterly strange, thus raising suspicion... Perhaps I'll try it next trip. Thanks for the suggestion.

Am I remembering correctly, that they used to have this system here like 15-ish years ago?

MorganF....Yes, that is correct....from 1994-2010.....http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1264325-la-afip-elimino-los-semaforos-y-los-tramites-vip-en-la-aduana

During the period in force the passenger had the option to select...."declare" or "not declare". Many who chose the green light passed thru without inspection. But some of them had their baggage inspected along with the red light group. During the physical search one either left the items in question behind or "negotiated the amount". Or a combination of both. The contraband of imported perfumes and clothing for resale in the black market was rampant between 1994 and 2002. Imported electronics became the prime target after 2002.

Back