Buying A Bike?

nancyannhubler

Registered
Hey Y'all,

I am really tired of taking buses and have decided to buy a bike. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good bike shop in the city? How much would a quality one cost? Is anyone selling one now? Any information about the bike lanes, bikes in the cities and helpful tips would be amazing! I have looked on mercado libre but I think I would rather just go to a store.

-Nancy-Ann

FWIW

I bought mine used off mercado libre for $1600. It's identical to this Couldn't be happier with the transaction. I had some trouble finding one in my size since everyone here is a midget but eventually the one I bought popped up.

As for stores, I've been to a few for tuneups and accessories but everything looked pretty expensive. Of course thats new vs used. Having a bike in the city is an amazing way to get around, especially if you need to run errands close to home.

I second mercado libre - just make sure you can check out the bike first.
In May or June, I'll be selling my trusty bike before moving

I am a tall girl 5 feet 8 inches 173ish centimeters, so I want to make sure it will fit me. I also would like one with gears. Does anyone know average price of one in the stores? I would love to buy one off of an expat but I would also like one soon. Thank y'all so much for your help so far!

Your inseam matters more than your total height when it comes to bike sizing. You can google, there are lots of bike sizing charts out there.

Hi there. I've bought a few bikes here. But I've never bought one in the city and neither have I bought a new one, much less one with gears...However, I have noticed that a fair few people in the city have these "plegable" bikes. They are fold up, and the nicer models come with gears. They seem to have quality components as well. They seem quite practical for city usage, like easy to lug up stairs or fold up and store away somewhere.

Like many things here, a new bike will be quite expensive, probably a lot more expensive than what you'd pay in your country of origin, and with inferior parts. A used bike can be cheap, and you'll find plenty of used bikes in a various bike shops around town. There's probably one in your neighborhood. Unfortunately, I don't know of any good ones.

If you get any imported bike, you may be fine and dandy until you need to get a replacement. Replacement parts on imported products are quite expensive, and not worth the hassle IMHO. Therefore I recommend the more common models (Olmo and Raleigh are decent and common brands). If you have some money to spend on a decent bike I'd recommend the plegable model, especially if you are going to be doing mostly city riding. If you want to do any long rides out of the city, then a more traditional frame may be a better idea.

Height shouldn't be any problem. 28" size wheels are common bikes here for the racing models (which is the same you find in any Western country with taller Euro people). And if you get a standard size 26" wheel (also a standard size in US/Europe) and it doesn't reach your height, you just get a longer seat post and extend that sucker. It's not complicated at all.

If you get any imported bike, you may be fine and dandy until you need to get a replacement. Replacement parts on imported products are quite expensive, and not worth the hassle IMHO. Therefore I recommend the more common models (Olmo and Raleigh are decent and common brands). If you have some money to spend on a decent bike I'd recommend the plegable model, especially if you are going to be doing mostly city riding. If you want to do any long rides out of the city, then a more traditional frame may be a better idea.

Height shouldn't be any problem. 28" size wheels are common bikes here for the racing models (which is the same you find in any Western country with taller Euro people). And if you get a standard size 26" wheel (also a standard size in US/Europe) and it doesn't reach your height, you just get a longer seat post and extend that sucker. It's not complicated at all.

First of all, imported bike or no, bike parts almost never specific to a certain brand. They're universal.

Second who measures bike size by the wheel diameter? Bike size is the frame. Yes you can ride a bmx bike with a 1 meter seat tube, but who would want to?

Make sure the fame height is good, top tube length can be played with slightly by changing the stem.

First of all, imported bike or no, bike parts almost never specific to a certain brand. They're universal.

Second who measures bike size by the wheel diameter? Bike size is the frame. Yes you can ride a bmx bike with a 1 meter seat tube, but who would want to?

Make sure the fame height is good, top tube length can be played with slightly by changing the stem.

I think overall you are right. However, these plegable bikes are essentially that, tiny frames with a huge seat post. I think they're great, and supremely practical for city riding, even taking on the subte every now and then, or storing easily in a 4th story apartment. They get going quite fast as well.

If the OP can find the variety here to find the exact frame size to me their inseam then great. That's fantastic, though I don't really think there is that much variety here.

As far as the brand and universal thing. Yes, bike parts in general are universal. However, some imported bikes have a lot of components that are hard to find replacements here for. Disc brakes, handle bar shocks (yes I recently saw this on an imported bike) or other fancy or flashy bits may be hard to maintain, and would probably have to be replaced later on. Not a big deal for some...

I am a tall girl 5 feet 8 inches 173ish centimeters, so I want to make sure it will fit me. I also would like one with gears. Does anyone know average price of one in the stores? I would love to buy one off of an expat but I would also like one soon. Thank y'all so much for your help so far!
I just popped into NEWBIKES in Belgrano last night and what you're looking for runs between AR$3,500-AR$7,000 for a ~10+ gear bike that's at least semi-mountain bike or collapsible with gears.

Regarding RALEIGH MOJAVE bikes...

P7060060(1).JPG

This one is a "2.0", whatever that means, but I do know that NEWBIKES carried the "5.0", a "5.5" and some "6.0" Raleigh Mojaves. Can't tell you the difference (whether the "6.0" is "higher end" or just newer), but the higher the number, the higher the price.

Mercado Libre is the way to go.

I bought a used bicycle from a bike shop. Sometimes they have those deals, you just have to ask.

I paid $1,000 for a mountain bike in fairly good condition with 3 gears (never heard or seen a bike with only three gears but they do exist).

For someone new to the city stopping at few bike shops will show a lot about "customer service" here. Hint: be patient.

Back