Buying A Car As A Tourist

fsylvain

Registered
I am thinking about buying a car in Argentina as a tourist. Does anyone know if I will be allowed to drive the car outside the country if I want to visit the neighboring countries. I once bought a car in Panama but I was not allowed to drive the car to Costa Rica unless I exported the car. Thanks

Many threads deal about that.

It's still debated if a tourist can exit or not, best thing would be to call a Custom office at a major border and ask.

During August 2013,I visited the AFIP offices in Plaza de Mayo and spoke with an expert, he showed me the Customs Regulations stating that an Argentine plated car can exit the country if driven by; An Argentine owner or authorized Argentine Driver , a permanent Resident, or a Corporate Rep if a Corporate Car? How the Regulations are interpreted at different border points is something else.

Temporary resident, or tourist visa not possible.

I am thinking about buying a car in Argentina as a tourist. Does anyone know if I will be allowed to drive the car outside the country if I want to visit the neighboring countries. I once bought a car in Panama but I was not allowed to drive the car to Costa Rica unless I exported the car. Thanks

I would buy a car in Chile, where there is a good fleet of used cars in Santiago and no legal obstacles to leaving the country with your purchase.

I would buy a car in Chile, where there is a good fleet of used cars in Santiago and no legal obstacles to leaving the country with your purchase.
That is not completely true ... as already discussed in another thread. Though it seems to be possible taking a Chilean car across smaller border crossings it was not legal as of July 2012 (not sure if new legislature has been passed since then). I had issues taking a car across the border at Los Libertadores (Santiago/Valparaiso-Mendoza) and both the customs official at the booth and his supervisor in the office both told me it was not possible. I remember that I checked the customs website after that and found out they were right.
If you plan on spending most of your time in Argentina you might want to consider availability and cost of spare parts (if buying a car in Chile that is not common in Argentine). Also Chileans are no the most popular in Argentina - something to keep in mind if you drive around with Chilean plates.

That is not completely true ... as already discussed in another thread. Though it seems to be possible taking a Chilean car across smaller border crossings it was not legal as of July 2012 (not sure if new legislature has been passed since then). I had issues taking a car across the border at Los Libertadores (Santiago/Valparaiso-Mendoza) and both the customs official at the booth and his supervisor in the office both told me it was not possible. I remember that I checked the customs website after that and found out they were right.
If you plan on spending most of your time in Argentina you might want to consider availability and cost of spare parts (if buying a car in Chile that is not common in Argentine). Also Chileans are no the most popular in Argentina - something to keep in mind if you drive around with Chilean plates.

Well taken point.... I drove a car here with Chilean plates for 3 years.... Chileno hijo de Puta was the least insult I received from truck drivers on the roads....!! Chileno Puto was often written on the winshield....!!

Driving 1500 kmts. to Chile every 6 months gets pretty old.... crossing the Cordillera in Winter

Well taken point.... I drove a car here with Chilean plates for 3 years.... Chileno hijo de Puta was the least insult I received from truck drivers on the roads....!! Chileno Puto was often written on the winshield....!!

Driving 1500 kmts. to Chile every 6 months gets pretty old.... crossing the Cordillera in Winter

I've driven hundreds of thousands of klicks, through every Argentine province, with my Chilean plates, and never had a problem other than routine roadside coima stops that I've managed to talk my way out of (sometimes feigning broken Spanish with my California driver's license).

"Boludo Chileno" was my favorite. One time my driver side window was smashed - nothing was missing inside, nor did they try to take the car.

Very true. You can be easily stuck in Chile for a week in Winter because the pass is closed and you can not drive back to Argentina. It happened to me once.

Why all the animosity from Argies toward the Chilensis? Are the Chilenos somewhat stealin' somethin' from Argentina therefore the hatred motions to the fore.?

Back