Buying a guitar in BA

This thread inspired me to shop for a guitar.

In the early 70's I bought the same model of this guitar (for about $750 US) from the maker in Chicago:

I sold it in the late 80's and haven't touched a guitar since.

This morning, after searching Mercado Libre, mostly in the $100 to $300 USD price range, and, after reading the 184 positive reviews, I bought one of these guitars (made in argentina) for about $45 USD:

I don't expect much at this price, so if it becomes an adorno to hang on the wall, I won't complain.

I especially like the fact that it is "industria argentina" and when I am using it I won't be holding something made in Chna that would have cost 50% more.

Hey thanks for the replies everyone, I tried to reply sooner but the website kept telling me there was a server issue.

Thanks for the advice, it's very useful!

This morning, after searching Mercado Libre, mostly in the $100 to $300 USD price range, and, after reading the 184 positive reviews, I bought one of these guitars (made in argentina) for about $45 USD:

I don't expect much at this price, so if it becomes an adorno to hang on the wall, I won't complain.

I especially like the fact that it is "industria argentina" and when I am using it I won't be holding something made in Chna that would have cost 50% more.
Do please report on your experience, I haven't touched a guitar since the early 00s and I've been thinking about buying one here.

:
Do please report on your experience, I haven't touched a guitar since the early 00s and I've been thinking about buying one here.
I got this guitar instead, also made in Argentina by the same manufacturer who uses two brand names ("Bamboo" and Pampa").

It arrived today and I am very pleased.

It's no Martin, but it will serve well.

I will buy the case for it this week:

Does anyone have a recommendation for any higher end guitars made in Argentina? It doesn't have to be custom made, but something a little nicer than your average guitar store budget model?

American owned airlines essentially have to let you bring guitars and other instruments as carry ons - you may have to insist a little at the gate and they may try to have you check it through, but I've brought an acoustic and a jazzmaster as carry on on American Airlines flights from the US to Buenos Aires. Check the airline policy and keep in mind it counts as your carry on. If it's an expensive guitar, just make sure to show a foreign passport if they stop you at the aduana at Ezeiza and say you're a tourist / act like you don't speak Spanish to avoid getting taxed.

Does anyone have a recommendation for any higher end guitars made in Argentina? It doesn't have to be custom made, but something a little nicer than your average guitar store budget model?

There is a street near av. de mayo which I think is Talcahuano that has a bunch of guitar stores. However, as was mentioned, it’s probably cheaper to buy abroad and bring one back. I bought a new guitar that has a relic beaten up finish and breezed through EZE with my foreign passport.

There's not really anything I can think of in the mid-range since that part of the market is pretty well mopped up by far-eastern imports. After the budget guitars that @steveinbsas mentioned upthread, in Argentina there appears to be a big jump straight up to small companies making quality production-line instruments and then individual builders - some of whom sell through the retail trade. If you are in BsAs take some time out to browse around the Sarmiento/Talcahuano music district and evaluate the shop stock for yourself.

Back