Buying a gun...

JWB said:
We were talking about GDP growth rate, not per capita.

You cited GDP growth being higher in Somalia in the U.S. in response to scotttswan's (sarcastic) contention that free market capitalism works in Somalia. Well, I'd say GDP growth of 2 percent is pretty damn abysmal -- if not ridiculously irrelevant -- when the GDP per capita is $600.

bradlyhale said:
You cited GDP growth being higher in Somalia in the U.S. in response to scotttswan's (sarcastic) contention that free market capitalism works in Somalia. Well, I'd say GDP growth of 2 percent is pretty damn abysmal -- if not ridiculously irrelevant -- when the GDP per capita is $600.

2 sucks, 1 is worse not to mention embarrassing.

elhombresinnombre said:
Heh. With two Spanish, one Brit and one French tourist on involuntary vacations in Somalia, we'll see just how hands off the US government remains when, inevitably, American tourists get kidnapped too.

Already been shown, you seem to forget the U.S. Navy Seals killing 3 Somalian pirates to rescue an American Captain being held hostage when the pirates boarded and took over the Maersk Alabama.

What do any of these posts about Somalia or Capitalism have to do with buying a gun in Argentina?

Where I live now everyone assumes everyone else already has a gun.

We also have sheep, pigs, goats, cows, ducks, chickens, fruit trees, and/or vegetable gardens.

And we don't live in fear.

(There are horses, too, but we only ride them.)

My only piece of advice (passed on from a lawyer) regarding guns

"If you own a gun and you're planning on keeping it in the house to protect yourself and god forbid you need to some day - you had better aim to kill. Because if you shoot someone and you don't kill them, it's going to be a long, ugly legal battle and you'll probably wind up having to pay the "victim" that broke into your house in the first place." And for the record, this is a very mild-mannered guy so it really shocked me when he said it. He wasn't joking at all.

I believe you need to get a license to own a gun here and I would assume you have to be a resident in order to get the license.

Tiro Argentino on Libertador next to where River Plate went down, is two full blocks of gun toting fun. they have sales store there and last I heard around 250-300 for membership. 75pesos to use the range for non-members. I know others that are keen to shoot and Rolo, an ex Arg champ/member of 50+ years who is happy to do the tour of the facilities. PM me

Anyone know the "law" about shooting to kill... after they have entered your property, and or after they have damaged your property while entering (breaking an entry), regardless of whatever else they attempt, as I understand it these are two very different categories. Also whats the score with defending property and family when using knives/machetes...is their any issue over the blade length ?

Markgeezer said:
Anyone know the "law" about shooting to kill... after they have entered your property, and or after they have damaged your property while entering (breaking an entry), regardless of whatever else they attempt, as I understand it these are two very different categories. Also whats the score with defending property and family when using knives/machetes...is their any issue over the blade length ?

I think the issue of blade length only applies to what is legally permissible to carry in the street.

I don't ever want to have to shoot anyone, especially at night in the dark so I do keep a machete in my bedroom. I also have a cell phone. I live less than one kilometer from the closest comiseria (in a semi-rural setting). I did call 101 once at about 2 AM when I heard unusual noises outside my house but couldn't see anything through the wooden shutters.

The police arrived in a couple minutes. One of my neighbor's horses was devouring my front lawn. They ask if I had a rope and then led the filly away, presumably back to my neighbor's estancia.

Back