Buying Car As Non-Resident/ Turist?

It makes more sense to buy a vehicle in Chile, where there's a better selection at lower prices, and the authorities don't care where you take it.

Indeed, except for those who have access to USD in Argentina (blue rate = brings about the same prices in USD).

A 2011/2012 Jeep Wrangler is around 32.000 USD in Chile (250.000 pesos in Argentina = 50.000 USD at the official rate/31.000 USD at the blue rate).

For basic/older models: a Fiat Palio around 1999/2002 in Chile is like 4.200 USD, and 3.100 USD in Argentina at the blue rate/5.000 USD at the official rate.

Indeed, except for those who have access to USD in Argentina (blue rate = brings about the same prices in USD).

A 2011/2012 Jeep Wrangler is around 32.000 USD in Chile (250.000 pesos in Argentina = 50.000 USD at the official rate/31.000 USD at the blue rate).

For basic/older models: a Fiat Palio around 1999/2002 in Chile is like 4.200 USD, and 3.100 USD in Argentina at the blue rate/5.000 USD at the official rate.

I hadn't thought the blue aspect but, even then, the ability to cross the border with your vehicle means something to a tourist.

didn't know that. Likely a specifity because it's a Chilean vehicle. For instance a tourist coming in Argentina with an US vehicle will have 90 days (like for his visa).

Its a Mercosur Free Circulation Agreement. You can keep a Chilean car in Argentina forever if you go out to Uruguay within 180 days. BUT when you want to reenter Chile if you have exceeded the 180 days, you car is impounded and must go to Court in Chile and pay humongous daily fines , that may exceed the value of the car.

At the blue rate, I can basically buy two Argentine cars for the price of one Uruguayan and rotate them in and out every 90 days. If the purchase/ registration process is relatively easy and I can use our hard uyro peso to buy soft blue pesos it makes sense, in the insane economic logic of Mercosur.

True, but the original post made it sound as if it was for a tourist, not a resident. For a tourist, it's far more advantageous to buy in Chile.

I drove a Chilean Plate car here for 4 years, My Nissan model had few spare parts here, plus mechanics were not that familiar. Not all insurance companies here will insure a foreign car owned by a foreigner. If your car breaks in the middle of nowhere
wait for spare parts.....!!!

Driving twice a year from B.A. to Santiago gets pretty old...!!!! 1500 kmts each way...!! too long to enumerate the blizzards, avalanches, chains on all four wheels, waiting at border crossing below cero. Bad rap by AFIP/customs border agents, claiming you are braking the law?? by staying 5 months and 20 days? etc. stressful

Driving here with Chilean plates attracts negative comments from truck drivers on the road," Hijo de Puta" is the least offensive :D When you park at night somewhere and you return Chileno Puto will be written on your rear window...!!

These are a FEW of the drawbacks od a Chilean License Plate Don't feel discouraged :D

At every traffic control you WILL get stopped and request all documents and first aid kit, etc

I drove a Chilean Plate car here for 4 years, My Nissan model had few spare parts here, plus mechanics were not that familiar. Not all insurance companies here will insure a foreign car owned by a foreigner. If your car breaks in the middle of nowhere
wait for spare parts.....!!!

Driving twice a year from B.A. to Santiago gets pretty old...!!!! 1500 kmts each way...!! too long to enumerate the blizzards, avalanches, chains on all four wheels, waiting at border crossing below cero. Bad rap by AFIP/customs border agents, claiming you are braking the law?? by staying 5 months and 20 days? etc. stressful

Driving here with Chilean plates attracts negative comments from truck drivers on the road," Hijo de Puta" is the least offensive :D When you park at night somewhere and you return Chileno Puto will be written on your rear window...!!

These are a FEW of the drawbacks od a Chilean License Plate Don't feel discouraged :D

At every traffic control you WILL get stopped and request all documents and first aid kit, etc

I keep the car in Chile, and spend about five months in both countries every year, so it's not a problem. Never any major problems with the cops, mostly petty stuff like "do you have money for a coke?" Once I did have to threaten to call the US consulate when an Entre Ríos cop wanted to fine me US$300 for a burnt-out taillight. Insurance not a problem, as my in-laws know insurance brokers in Olavarría.

Back