Buying Property In Argentina

Here is a joke about my notary lawyer. I complained about my lawyer's high fee, but my realtor said she was worth it because she spoke English.

During the purchasing process, I asked my lawyer many questions and expressed many concerns, the answer I received from my lawyer was always the same :" You be quiet !" in English. I thought " wow, that's incredible rude, telling your client to shut up after he asks your a legit question". Later I realized she was trying to say " tranquilo", and telling me to relax. But her translation to English was so bad,

Sounds like you got ripped off ... in bad English no less.

I want to buy but I am broke.

Else I would buy now in a heartbeat!

Sounds like you got ripped off ... in bad English no less.
No kidding, real estate agents and lawyers jump on dumb foreigner buyers/sellers like vulture jumping on dead meat.
I hope you people still want to buy.

If you are looking for a reputable, and effective, real estate agent and/or escribana I can recommend one.

PM me. :)

I think it all depends on what you want your future to be here. If you're not staying forever don't buy. We bought land and built a house. I would go crazy renting. I don't like it, but I am here forever.

I'd rather rent my house and use the money saved to buy a gold mine

Rent let say at US$1k per month, make the landlord rich by staying there for 10 years, you can rent mine, will draw lease for 20 years. PhilipDT-San, when I get there and buy the property, wanting you to rent from me. I take your money and longer you rent from me the happier you would make me...

The only thing to realize about Argentina is that as real estate is (primarily) bought and sold without mortgages, there is less speculation. Prices tend to go up and down a bit, but a true crash is rare. Also, prices in Buenos Aires per square meter are considerably lower than in other major metropolitan cities. The real question is what do you want the property for - living in? investment? rentals? That can make a huge impact on your investment.

Getting money in and out of the country takes a few extra steps (and a %), but nowhere near impossible. If you buy from someone with an overseas account, you never even have to bring the money into Argentina.

Many people are also anticipating that when Christina leaves office next year, the country will start to become more business friendly and open to international investment. We could see big changes then.

And, oh yes, I'm selling a condo-hotel unit in Palermo Hollywood too. The entire transaction can be done overseas and the management of the property is done by a US company with funds going to your overseas account. They manage the rentals but you can use the unit whenever you want. PM me if interested in more details.

I want to buy here 'cause I'm half Argentinean and I will keep on coming to BsARs. I may live here a couple of months a year. But I won't ever buy here if I was a foreigner, without plans to stay for at least 10 years here and have a B plan to sell and bring the money out of this country.

But so far I've been seeing crap flats, maintenance is here such a big issue, nobody seems to care to do some repair every now and then, there's no love put in the flats I've seen.

I bought here six years ago and never have regretted it. The lack of stress over not being able to rent long term because of a lack of a garantia, having my apartment the way I want it, and knowing that my expenses will stay low because all of the residents are committed to that, has been a big relief. Also knowing every neighbor and feeling that locals care about me and to a certain degree "have my back" is comforting. If stability and security in your domicile is your thing I'd say you should buy. But only if you will be here for several years, know who your neighbors are, and above all, use an escribano and realtor that can be trusted. I am grateful every day for my apartment. It's nothing special but it's definately my home.

Back