Cafes For Writing And For Thinking

Cafe La Paz on Corrientes is a cafe with much tradition for writers.

I spent most of my 7 years in Buenos Aires in cafes.

One of my favorites is El Banderín at Guardia Vieja and Bilinghurst. Also, check out Boedo between San Juan and Estados Unidos. Several interesting places along that stretch.

I live in the Nuñez area, a less dense area compared to Palermo, Recoleta, et al., and host to a lot quiet cafes with *mostly* reliable internet connection.

Some of them are:

Hipolito cafe [Link]
Chik-Café [Link]
Cafe Leon Express [Corner of Ramallo and 11 de septiembre]

Also Vicente Lopez has some nice cafes with light foot traffic. Train station @Vicente Lopez.

a great response as always. thank you all.

I will document every suggestion and accompanying comments. I have the time and a great need to work so in turn I will explore them all.

I would be more than happy to post a thread with some feedback for any future writers in the same position.

As for music - I agree, I cannot work with R'R or God forbid "pop" in the background. I like background to be soft and not draw my attention to specifics. I like for it to enhance my mood without drawing attention away from where my emotions are being channeled.

Hemingway as a drunk. Indeed. I got the impression he was quite a measured drinker during his "prime cafe years". or so he would have me believe thru his movable feast journals. (depends on your definition of measured vs. hard.... I will say no more...)

I cannot work drunk. Lightly oiled, yes, but drunk writing takes away boundaries I am trying to understand not defeat. it is drivel usually. but here and there you get a gem. not enough to make it my practice.

this conversation has been very interesting.

if anyone would be interested in a coffee to talk about the art, skill and practices of writers in general please let me know as I am happy to organize in one of our cafes.

I see it more as a break from the isolation of writing where work is put aside and a lively and entertaining discussion about the craft lightens the mood.

bc br

The cafe at Borges station on the tren de la Costa. Trains only pass every 1/2 hour. Quiet , peaceful , trees. No wait staff bothering you , ( they suck.) Plus the inspiration of Borges......

If I wanted a change of environment for writing I would head to Museo de Calcos y Escultura Comparada. I haven't been there for several years. Does anybody know if they finished the restoration?

Anyway if it's still like it was, I like the creative vibe of the place - school in the back, murals on the walls, and in the back corner there was a small outdoor cafe. Any time I was there it was very quiet - not too many people around. So it would be an option on a nice day if you don't need wifi, and if they're open. Their hours used to be a little sketchy.

It's near the south entrance of Reserva Ecologica en Puerto Madero.

http://museodelacarcova.iuna.edu.ar/contenidos/666-historia

a great response as always. thank you all.

I will document every suggestion and accompanying comments. I have the time and a great need to work so in turn I will explore them all.

I would be more than happy to post a thread with some feedback for any future writers in the same position.

As for music - I agree, I cannot work with R'R or God forbid "pop" in the background. I like background to be soft and not draw my attention to specifics. I like for it to enhance my mood without drawing attention away from where my emotions are being channeled.

Hemingway as a drunk. Indeed. I got the impression he was quite a measured drinker during his "prime cafe years". or so he would have me believe thru his movable feast journals. (depends on your definition of measured vs. hard.... I will say no more...)

I cannot work drunk. Lightly oiled, yes, but drunk writing takes away boundaries I am trying to understand not defeat. it is drivel usually. but here and there you get a gem. not enough to make it my practice.

this conversation has been very interesting.

if anyone would be interested in a coffee to talk about the art, skill and practices of writers in general please let me know as I am happy to organize in one of our cafes.

I see it more as a break from the isolation of writing where work is put aside and a lively and entertaining discussion about the craft lightens the mood.

bc br

Please let me know if you find nice places w/o music.

If I wanted a change of environment for writing I would head to Museo de Calcos y Escultura Comparada. I haven't been there for several years. Does anybody know if they finished the restoration?

Anyway if it's still like it was, I like the creative vibe of the place - school in the back, murals on the walls, and in the back corner there was a small outdoor cafe. Any time I was there it was very quiet - not too many people around. So it would be an option on a nice day if you don't need wifi, and if they're open. Their hours used to be a little sketchy.

It's near the south entrance of Reserva Ecologica en Puerto Madero.

http://museodelacarc...os/666-historia

Sounds cool, and remarkably similar to the old Sculpture Garden Cafe in Balboa Park. Sadly, that cafe has been gone for decades, swallowed up in the last round of "improvements".

Cafe retiro, in the mitre train station.

I second this. It has been recently renovated (I believe) and going there is like stepping into a time warp. Plus, it's rarely busy, so the distractions will be at a minimum. (Haven't tried writing there yet myself, but it's a cool spot.)

Back