Camera Stolen!

sushilovinfun

Registered
Hello, Today my Nikon d40x camera, a present, and something very dear to me, was stolen in Barrio Norte. I was very stupid and it was taken. My girlfriend and I were scammed when two women sprayed gunk on us and then took the camera while helping us clean up. We feel foolish and disheartened. I wanted to make a plea to the expat community to see if you could go into your local pawn shops or something equivalent, and see if the camera shows up there. If it does, please post on the forum or send me a note. Among other things, the camera was the bread and butter of my blog (www.superfacilmente.com) and a huge source of joy for me. Please, if there is any news on it, I would love to know. I might even consider a reward of some sort. It is a Nikon d40x camera. It should be all black with a lens with Nikon in silver lettering and a gold strap. Thank you,Max

Hey man Just wanted to say that well I feel for you on that loss of the camera, hope you either find it again or get plenty of donations.Best regards,

Thank you for the kind remarks. For anyone who lives near a pawn shop or is looking on Mercado Libre, my serial number was NKD40X1855KGU Also if anyone knows of any pawn shops in the Recoleta/Barrio Norte area (near the giant flower sculpture was where it happened) I would love to know so I can start looking for it first hand. Thanks again

"Lee" said:
I feel for you too! We were robbed at an outdoor cafe. A man walked by and jumped on my partner...tore off his Cartier watch then leaped over a car and onto a waiting motercycle...we lost a $3500 watch in less than 10 seconds. Very expesive lunch indeed!

How long has your friend been in Argentina?

"sushilovinfun" said:
Thank you for the kind remarks. For anyone who lives near a pawn shop or is looking on Mercado Libre, my serial number was NKD40X1855KGU Also if anyone knows of any pawn shops in the Recoleta/Barrio Norte area (near the giant flower sculpture was where it happened) I would love to know so I can start looking for it first hand. Thanks again
I know of one pawnshop close to Av. Cabildo 450 and another like 10-15 blocks down the road in the direction to the city limits.

But to be honest I don't think trying to find it again is such a hot idea. I think that those places probably ask you for identification when you place items with them so thieves probably stay clear of them, that there are too many of those places in the city for it to be time friendly to go through them all and that those people are not going to sell it to a pawn shop anyway but rather to someone they know or through someone they know.

Dear shushi,
so sorry to hear about the theft, but I think you are just going to have to feel sick for a week or so and then forget it.
I had a camera stolen at a private party about 18months ago. I was gutted! I mean a PRIVATE party, where everyone more or less knows who, who is. I was gutted not just because it also was a good camera but because it had all the photos taken at my childs birth and some other very private pictures.
You really have to "think like thieves". They will steal the shirt off your back here. After all, its taken me several years to learn not to put collars on my dogs because they even steal those when my dogs run in the woods here.
The most frustrating thing is knowing my dogs know who the thieves in the village are and then looking my dogs in the eye saying "who was it? show me where they live?"...........
My husbands brand new 4x4 was stolen one night in Buenos Aires. Big, white and with codes etc. Beacause he stayed at his mother's one evening and was to tired/lazy to put it in the garage. Did we ever get it back? No way!
sorry honey its gone and don't offer rewards because you will only get conned again.

i had my camera stolen several months ago after I loaned it to someone i know. was stupid of me. live and learn. i had the receipt and serial number, but i figured it wouldnt really do any good.
Dont want to change subject too much from your theft, but something previous poster said reminded me of something. ive been to many places in arg. i walked around the better neighborhoods of mar del plata in april and looked at the nice houses. they put their trash out in plastic bags and put them in a metal wire basket to prevent the roaming stray dogs from getting it. dogs are lose everywhere.
well, i could name any number of other towns lately ive been visiting. same deal. Although, they have garbage cans like we have back home (ive seen them) they use these metal baskets all over the country, from north to south.
ive talked to some argentines about it over time about whats up with the stupid wire basket, even in upscale areas. they said, oh somone would steal the garbage can!!! my sister uses a big plastic dumpster she rolls out, has always been there in front of house when she gets home from work.
some areas dont use the wire basket, i was in pilar area last week, trash and litter as far as you can see.
small example, but believe me, it says alot!!

I had my camera stolen in BsAs as well and I know how much of a loss it is, especially when there's important photos inside. I almost wished they'd left a card saying I could buy my camera back.
Be prepared to go through various mood swings over this. First you're shocked, then mad and blaming yourself then it becomes a bit of depression over not being able to trust people. At least that's what I went through. I got rid of anything that was worth stealing and used a film camera for a long time. It's actually really cheap to shoot film and then have it processed directly to digital photos on CD.
Speaking of the crime situation... I remember at Christmas time mentioning to my Argentine girlfriend that people don't seem that excited about Christmas since they don't put up decorations on their houses and businesses like in Canada. She said that if you left ANYTHING outside, it would be gone the next morning. Sad but true as I learned over time.
By the way... the "mustard" trick is a standard ripoff routine. Someone comes up and spills something on you and another person tries to help clean it off while another goes through your bag or pockets. A cheaper variation is that they spit on you.

I don´t take bags, dont wear values, I rarely walk with a wallet and have enough money to do my things in my pockets.
It works for me

Back