Can I Get Married With A Tourist Visa?

mrsamweb

Registered
Hello,

My girlfriend and I are thinking in getting married in Argentina (civil marriage). We both are from Mexico, she has a temporary residency (her DNI is valid until march 2014) but I only have a tourist visa (expires on november). Can we get married in Buenos Aires? If so, what are the steps to follow?

Thank you very much, community!

Hello,

My girlfriend and I are thinking in getting married in Argentina (civil marriage). We both are from Mexico, she has a temporary residency (her DNI is valid until march 2014) but I only have a tourist visa (expires on november). Can we get married in Buenos Aires? If so, what are the steps to follow?

Thank you very much, community!

I did so, but that was 30-some years ago. It was a routine ceremony at the Registro Civil in Olavarría. My (then future) family there handled most of the formalities, but I did have to get a blood test. Officials there had never married a foreigner before, and expressed some concern that I didn't know what I was getting into (does any of us?), but that was because Spanish was my second language. I spoke and understood fairly well then, but much better now.

You can get married on a tourist visa... I did... but it used to be your future spouse has to be a citizen or permanent resident. I'm not sure about temporary residency. Maybe. I would ask the registro civil.

Okay, so it seems that yes, tourists can get married in Argentina, but I'd still check with the registro civil. I'm not sure you'd qualify as the 'matrimonio expres' or the standard citizen procedure. Best to ask.
http://www.clarin.co..._702529841.html

Thank you both for your answers!
I´ll phone the Registro Civil or the BA Government and ask them. Then I´ll update this thread in case someone want to follow the same path :p

You can get married in the city of Buenos Aires even if you are a tourist. Check previous threads on marriage, weddings, etc.
[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]People in transit (same or different sex) can get married in the city of Buenos Aires within 5 days of requesting it at the Registro Civil.[/background]
http://www.buenosair...ros-en-transito[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)] [/background]

Back