Can I Marry An Argentine On My Expired Tourist Visa?

DanielN

Registered
Hi All,

I'm marrying an Argentinian in a couple of weeks (I'm British), but my tourist visa expired 6 months ago, so I'm currently here without a visa.

We have been to Registro Civil and they tell us that you can get married anyway (but that the wedding certificate will say 'married without document'). What we really want to know is if this might cause problems when I go to process my permanent residency visa after the wedding?

Any info or experience on the subject is really appreciated!

Many Thanks,

D

I went through the same thing. Don't worry about it. When I got married, my tourist visa was a few months expired. I went to the court, the migraciones office and the civil registry to find out and all of them told me that it does not make any difference. Actually, the migraciones said whatever the civil registry said, it would be fine. And the civil registry told us that whatever the migraciones advised us was ok. And the court couldn't be bothered. They only deal with the citizenship process that comes after you obtain your residency.

So, in the end, I ended up getting married with an expired tourist visa. And right after that, I went to get my residency processed and they don't care as long as you bring all the documents they want (original and photocopied) with the official translations. Oh, and the cash required for the process.

BTW, I got married in July of this year, so I really doubt much has changed.

All the best and congratulations!

My situation was the same as well. They stated as long as you entered the country legally, it doesn't matter if the tourist visa is expired.

....And the court couldn't be bothered. They only deal with the citizenship process that comes after you obtain your residency....

You don't need residency to initiate a petition for citizenship in federal court. I took the oath with a young woman from Colombia who married an Argentine and had a baby. She did the citizenship process on her own through the court which took two years. Now all three of them are Argentine.

Thanks so much for the info and reassurance! We've received so many different opinions each time we've inquired (in migraciones and registro civil) that we've been left totally confused - you know what it's like. Hearing from a few people that have already been through the process really helps.

Thanks again from us both and all the best too!

I got married with an expired visa in 2010 and it doesn't even say anything on the certificate.

Back