Can I Marry My Argentine Partner While I Am Visiting?

As I understood it (for straight couples), you can't pursue a K1 visa if they are aware that you're already married. In that case you'd be looking at a spousal visa, which it seems can be more difficult to process. Better that your amorcito visits you in the U.S. and then you get married in one of the jurisdictions where you are able, but it would be wise to consult an immigration lawyer in this case.

You will also need a certificate from the US embassy to validate you are not currently married and or certification of your divorce pares if you are divorced

That said, maybe with all the changes making it super quick for tourists to get married, you guys might be able to turn it around super quickly.

If one person is Argentine, it's pretty easy.

As far as two tourists getting married from foreign, non-Spanish-speaking countries, I can say that it is not easy at all. I've been assisting a couple, and we've gone through the most eye-gouging bureaucracy that I have ever seen in this country.

If one person is Argentine, it's pretty easy.

As far as two tourists getting married from foreign, non-Spanish-speaking countries, I can say that it is not easy at all. I've been assisting a couple, and we've gone through the most eye-gouging bureaucracy that I have ever seen in this country.

I believe it's impossible - one of the couple has to be a resident of Argentina in order to be married here.

As for the OP, you can't apply for a financee visa to the US for your partner iif you're already married. It would have to be the spousal visa.

You will also need a certificate from the US embassy to validate you are not currently married and or certification of your divorce pares if you are divorced

There is no certificate for being single - it doesn't exist in the US. I was told I needed this by my local registro civil and didn't know what to do - we went to another registro civil in the neighboring localidad and were told me didn't need it. Luckily they let us marry there even though technically we shouldn't have been able to.

Divorce is another matter and that I believe you do need to prove.

I just went through this (almost) exact process. Came to BA, got married, went back to the USofA, got a spousal visa, she immigrated to the 1st world. What they've said about getting married in Argentina is correct.

Now comes the hard part: getting your partner/spouse to the US. Before we were married my (then) girlfriend was able to visit the US with a Tourist Visa. No problem. Went 6 or 7 times over the course of 2 years. She got it only because she had kids here and had a good job here. In other words, she had ties to Argentina and wasn't seen as an illegal immigration risk. Once we were married here US Immigration immediately cancelled her Tourist Visa and we had to apply for a Spousal Visa. She was not allowed to go to the US until this was completed. The total time for the Spousal Visa took almost 14 months. She was stuck here, I was working in the US. Consider that in your plans. I don't know how that works if it is two guys married but I can assure you it won't be easier than what we went through. Total cost was about $6000US.

I highly recommend that you retain a good immigration lawyer in your US hometown.

Good luck!

Here´s another experience that might help you -

After double checking with the registry office etc, we were told that the tourist doesn´t need their passport translated but may require the photocopies to be certified.

You can request a date and time for the wedding a month before hand, online. Then the end documents tell you everything that you need to do in the week leading up to the wedding. As you are not from a spanish speaking country, the application online automatically asks for the name etc of the translator (without asking whether you are fluent or not). It will also ask for the witnesses´ information too.

The medical test HAS to be done exactly 7 days before the registry office date (you are given a list of places and the date on which you need to do it, but not a specific appointment time when you do the application online). It is my understanding that you can just turn up with the documents that you print off when you do the online application and the hospital will do the tests.

The US passport is in ENGLISH/ SPANISH/ FRENCH, so you don't have to worry about translating a SPANISH DOCUMENT INTO SPANISH.

I believe it's impossible - one of the couple has to be a resident of Argentina in order to be married here.

As I said, I am helping two foreign individuals marry in CABA, i.e. be a translator. On May 16, 2012, the City of Buenos Aires Undersecretary of Justice issued a resolution authorizing the City to marry "tourists."

If you'd like more information, google: [background=transparent]RESOLUCIÓN N.º 99/SSJUS/12, published in the CABA Boletín Oficial[/background]

Thanks Bradly - I wasn't aware of the change. So if I'm understanding correctly, it is legal to do here and in Santa Fe but not in the rest of Argentina. So do other places recognize the marriage? What a convoluted situation...

Back